Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Im huge Banks fan, with the M and not, but I have to say im not really enoying Matter. I quit half way through it though i'll probably try again. Its a bit like inversions in that the focus is a 'non-involved' but they do vauguely know about the culture. It seems to be to much of a comedy, I prefer the dark sci-fi stuff banks makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Kerbtree posted:

Heads up, UK goons - radio 4's airing State of the Art this week. Get yer arse over to iplayer.
Its under "Afternoon Play" in drama for those like me wondering where the gently caress it was for 5 minutes. Thanks for letting me know though!

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Psiharis posted:

Am I alone in thinking Complicity was utter poo poo? Loser with no redeeming characteristics plays some Civ, rapes some peeps, slaughters some dogs... yeah, raping the husband with his wife's pink dildo (in loving detail :psyduck:) was as far as I made it into that book, and I haven't picked up a Banks book since.

Which is a shame, because I adored The Wasp Factory and The Bridge, which I've noticed a few people listing with Complicity as favorites. I even liked The Business for what it was -- a nice, unambitious airport book. But gently caress Complicity with a lotion-smeared pink dildo, what the loving gently caress.
Whit was the best non sci-fi imo, im recommending. Its lots of fun, a substancial read that gets you involved.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
I think we have all concluded that matter was a bit poo poo. Its the only one I never finished.

Such a shame as most of the M.Banks books are at least in my top 20.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Turpitude posted:

While we're on the topic of Horza, I love the chapter where he gets stranded on the cannibal island. That poo poo read like a Stephen King short story and made an amazing interlude between action setpieces. It was also fantastic when he sweet-talked the Culture escape shuttle into letting him dick around inside it until he figured out where its brain was and shot it with a cannon.
Definatly. loving epic. The book is worth it for this bit alone.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Can you listen to that without iTunes? Last time I installed that thing (which was years ago) I found it really invasive on my computer, it catalogued all my mp3's, installed some sort of DRM, made itself default player for eveything and I couldnt get rid of it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Shameless posted:

The first part is here too:

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/features/transition/transition_podcast.xml

Looks like it's only part one on that site at the moment though.

edit: How bizarre, in the UK it's a plain old Iain Banks book but in the US it's an Iain M Banks book.
Deffo first part there as an mp3, everything else wants to install iTunes. Im not a fan of that program.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Kindly dont ban me, its just a segment and i think ive bought this book 3 times. This is the segment being discussed and im like 50/50 on the argument. It either killed itself out of guilt or it was effectorised in in the first pass.

Insufficient elapsed time, the Attitude Adjuster whispered to itself. The ROU being quizzed at the moment was still reconfiguring its internal systems signature to resemble that of the Attitude Adjuster. The effector sweep flicked away from it, dismissing. The Attitude Adjuster quailed.

It had made itself a target! It should have- HERE IT CAME!

A feeling of-

No, it had gone, swept over it! Its own disguise had worked. It had been dismissed too, like the ROU alongside!

The effector focus jumped to another craft still further away. The Attitude Adjuster was dizzy with relief. It had survived! The plan still held, the huge filthy trick they were pulling was free to continue!

The way to the Excession lay open; the other Minds in the conspiracy would commend it if it survived; the-... but it mustn't think of the other ships involved. It had to accept responsibility for what had happened. It and it alone. It was the traitor. It would never reveal who had instigated this ghastly, gigadeathcrime-risking scheme; it had to assume the blame itself.

It had wrestled with the Mind at Pittance and pressed it when it had insisted it would die rather than yield (but it had had no choice!); it had allowed the human on Pittance to be destroyed (but it had fastened its effector on his puny animal brain when it had seen what was happening to him; it had read the animal's brain-state, copied it, sucked it out of him before he'd died, so that at least he might live again in some form! Look! It had the file here... there it went...). It had fooled the surrounding ships, it had lied to them, sent them messages from... from the ships it could not bear to think about.

But it was the right thing to do!

... Or was it just the thing it had chosen to believe was the right thing to do, when the other ships, the other Minds had persuaded it? What had its real motives been? Had it not just been flattered to be the object of such attention? Had it not always resented being passed over for certain small but prestigious missions in the past, nursing a bitter resentment that it was not trusted because it was seen as being - what? A hard-liner? Too inclined to shoot first? Too cynical towards the soft ideologies of the meat-beings? Too mixed up in its feelings about its own martial prowess and the shaming moral implications of being a machine designed for war? All those things, a little, perhaps. But that wasn't all its fault!... And yet, did it not accept that one had an irreducible ethical responsibility for one's own actions? It did. And it accepted that and it had done terrible, terrible things. All the attempts it had made to compensate had been eddies in the flood; tiny retrograde movements towards good entirely produced by the ferocious turbulence of its headlong rush to ill.

It was evil.

How simple that reductive conclusion seemed.

But it had been obliged!... And yet it could not say by whom, so it had to accept the full responsibility for itself.

But there were others!... And yet it could not identify them, and so the full weight of their distributed guilt bore down on the single point that was itself, unbearable, insupportable.

But there were others!... And yet still it could not bear to think of them.

And so somebody, some other entity, looking in from outside, say, would have to conclude, would it not, that perhaps these others did not really exist, that the whole thing, the whole ghastly abomination that was this plot was its idea, its own little conspiracy, thought up and executed by itself alone? Was that not the case?

But that was so unfair! That wasn't true!... And yet, it could not release the identities of its fellow plotters. Suddenly, it felt confused. Had it made them up? Were they real? Perhaps it ought to check; open the place where they were stored and look at the names just to make sure that they were even the names of real Minds, real ships, or that it was not implicating innocent parties.

But that was terrible! Whichever way it fell after that, that was awful! It hadn't made them up! They were real!... But it couldn't prove it, because it just couldn't reveal them.

Maybe it ought to just call the whole thing off. Maybe it ought to signal all the other ships around it to break away, stop, retreat, or just open their comm channels so they could accept signals from other ships, other Minds, and be persuaded of the folly of their cause. Let them make up their own minds. They were intelligent beings no less than it. What right had it to send them to their deaths on the strength of a heinous, squalid lie? But it had to!... And yet, still, no; no it couldn't say who the others had been.

It mustn't think of them! And it couldn't possibly call off the attack! It couldn't! No! NO! Grief! Meat! Stop! Stop it! Let it go! Sweet nothingness, anything was better than this wracking, tearing uncertainty, any horror preferable to the wrenching dreadfulness boiling uncontrollably in its Mind.

Atrocity. Abomination. Gigadeathcrime.

It was worthless and hateful, despicable and foul; it was wrung out, exhausted and incapable of revelation or communication. It hated itself and what it had done more, much more than it had ever hated anything; more, it was sure, than anything had ever been hated in all existence. No death could be too painful or protracted...

And suddenly it knew what it had to do.

It de-coupled its engine fields from the energy grid and plunged those vortices of pure energy deep into the fabric of its own Mind, tearing its intellect apart in a supernova of sentient agony.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Yeah that makes sense now. I never read it like that before. Thanks dude! After all the KT was a super class warship and the others from the rock were just medium type things.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 7, 2009

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Umiapik posted:

I've always rather disliked the Culture. I know that it's Bank's idea of heaven but I find it hard to view it as anything but a bunch of self-indulgent, overgrown children and their sanctimonious robot babysitters. I read Look to Windward and spent the whole time rooting for the Chelonians to succeed in blowing the Orbital up: I thought that the Culture totally deserved it. Who the hell do they think they are? "Yeah, we came along interfering in your society and ended up causing a catastrophe but we didn't mean to do it and, hey, you sometimes get these statistical blips. Sorry!"
This is the main or secondary theme in a number of the books though isnt it. You have people euthanising, people turning themselves into aliens to live a more 'real' life, wacky attempts to take over the world/galaxy by 'uncivilised' alien races. Its part of what Banks is trying to do with the storys. I was totally cheering for the Affront!

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

gvibes posted:

I just can't handle these gibberish sections in Feersum Endjinn. Good god.
You get the hang of em after a while :)

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
You need to send that to all the self-diagnosed spergers on the forums and entice them to learn it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Just finished reading Surface Detail and for me that was a return to form for the culture novels. Cracking read, go get it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

andrew smash posted:

Nah, the player of games might be the best of his books that would make a passable movie but Consider Phlebas has more or less already been made into a movie more than once. It's a series of sci-fi set pieces, basically unconnected in terms of thematic significance, strung together as the adventures of a plucky crew in a lovely spaceship. It's basically star wars with cursing and loving.
You made me lol. That is all. And I agree.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Danith posted:

Just finished reading Use of Weapons and ehh... not a fan
So at the end he's the one that killed his 'sister' and made the chair? He was the one with the separate mother from the city right? The early flashbacks seem to be from the good brother. Whats happening! I suppose I'll go back and read some sections, lots of the boring parts I just skimmed over.
Yeah, throughout you think he is his brother but it turns out he is that guy and took his name.

Shame you didnt like, thats one of my faves.

I did have to read that one a few times before I fully wrapped my head round it, give it another crack maybe?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
I always felt that a sub-text to it was that the minds knew he was the chairmaker and were giving him a chance to redeem himself, probably just overthinking it though.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

FelchTragedy posted:

Going to meet Iain next week. Anything worth asking maybe?
Ask him if he is a swinger.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Ask whether the identity of the outside influence the minds hinted were behind the the events in Look To Windward will be revealed at some point.

quote:

Only a little. I had my back-up by then. A couple of GSVs have been here or hereabouts for a while, as well as the Experiencing A Significant Cravitas Shortfall. Once we knew what you were up to, they could protect me even from an attack like the one you envisaged. We let it happen because we’d like to know where the other ends of those wormholes are. Might tell us something about who your mysterious allies were.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 6, 2010

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Thats one thing that bugged me about mind design, here they are super utopia where anyone or anything can do what they want in theory, yet they design minds to be violent bastards for warships and some stupid docile plebs who are happy to be gelfield suits. The suit minds are for example built to be happy with their lot. They are stupid slaves by design.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 11, 2010

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

BastardySkull posted:

Also what do you guys imagine ship Minds to 'look like'.
In Consider Phlebas the runaway mind is described in fairly good detail. Its a silvery epsiliod about 3 meters long. Like a blob of floating mercury.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Just finished Use of Weapons.

God. drat. :gonk: That was heart-wrenching and well done. Definitely going to give it another go at some point.

One my absolute favorite books. I dug the structure, reminded me a bit of Memento. Worked really well.
It is a cracker isnt it. Thats one of my go to books whenever I attempt to convince a non-nerd to try a bit of sci-fi. Rarely works :(

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

andrew smash posted:

are you at all surprised by this?
In my mind it should work, but then I was writing computer programs at the age of 8.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Vanadium posted:

I have only read Excession so far and am getting started with The Player of Games and I was wondering to what extent the sentient AI constructs are effectively forced labor. The obvious purpose of drones for example is that people don't have to perform manual labor, and it just seems kinda handwaved that drones don't really mind cleaning up after everybody and are really enjoying themselves, and I cannot help but wonder what a Mind does when it gets bored of running an Orbital or some backwater colony, or to a lesser extent the sentience of some guy's living space. Is there a procedure to transfer them to a new spaceship or something or are all of them forcibly programmed to enjoy whatever they were constructed for?

I cannot wrap my head around the social dynamics between human beings and AIs that are thousands of times more intelligent yet happily ferry the humans around space or build space statins for them or let them hold positions of authority. :(
Well some of them do care about people and some of them dont. The ones who choose to be a ship/hub/orbital with people on it are doing it cos they want to.

Its strongly hinted that there is a level of design in the creation of the minds, the warships being the obvious example, they are built to be moody motherfuckers who delight in blowing stuff up.

As for what they do with their spare time, in one of the books Banks introduced the concept of 'infinite fun space' where a mind or minds hangs around making staggeringly complicated 12 dimensional mathematical constructs :)

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 6, 2011

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Lasting Damage posted:

I like the comparison, but does this mean Hubs are like crazy cat ladies that keep 20 of them?
Must be. Cat ladies who can hold 10000 conversations at the same time. Cat ladies would love that, its like a never ending supa-soap-opera.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

andrew smash posted:

I don't think this needs to be spoilered at all. "Panhumanity" is banks' term for it, it's just a given in his universe that lots of species seem to have evolved to look basically like humans to a greater or lesser extent. Most of the Culture's biological sapients are panhumans for historical reasons (the culture that would become the Culture initially arose from a loose conglomeration of a few panhuman civs and their AIs).
This. Apart from 'State of the Art' there is no direct invlovment with actual proper 'Human Beings' in any of the books.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

andrew smash posted:

The afterword(i think) from consider phlebas mentions formal earth-culture contact taking place in like the 23rd century or something. That's the only other instance of it though as far as i know.
No poo poo, can you quote it? Dont have book or file with me right now.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

syphon posted:

Well, I guess that settles it. I'll have to grab that book. :)
Its a short story collection book. The main mini-novel being the title 'State of the Art'

Deffo worth buying, its very touching. (not gay)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

TjyvTompa posted:

I started reading Feersum Endjinn and I was wondering if I could skip the "weird" chapters without missing out on the general story?

I tried reading that.....thing but it just gave me a headache, seriously what was he thinking?

If reading that crap is necessary I'll just put down the book and start reading Matter which is the next Banks book in line for me.
You will find that you get Bascule's speak after a while and its worth it. It is a bit annoying to start off with sure but hang in there. I found the phonetic poo poo rather good fun once id got used to it.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 29, 2011

• Locked thread