Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

flamingmuse posted:

As for his Non-M stuff, I read the Wasp Factory which is still really bad rear end. I started Song of Stone but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere, and I read another one ofthe Non-M books, but I'm not sure which one it was. All I remember is a scene where a girl is talking to her boyfriend while leaning out a window as another man screws her.
Walking on Glass. I really love Walking on Glass, but mainly for the fantasy/far-future/almost-Borgesian elements - the present-day bits aren't particularly interesting, though the way all the threads tie together at the end makes me happy. The early non-Ms are the best ones, definitely - he dropped off sharply after Whit. Song of Stone and The Business both kind of bored me, so I haven't even got round to Dead Air yet.

And poo poo, I haven't got Matter yet; what's wrong with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Entropic posted:

Other favourites:

The Psychopath-class ROU Frank Exchange Of Views
The GCU Poke It With A Stick
The GCU You Would If You Really Loved Me
The GOU I Said I've Got A Big Stick
The GSV What Are The Civilian Applications?
Some friends and I had a "What would you call yourself if you were a Culture ship?" drunken conversation years ago, and I'm still proud of declaring myself the Adequately Explained By Stupidity.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

narfanator posted:

I am going to remember this, and one day, post the results.

Also, that is an amazing name for a Culture Ship, although may be more fitting for an orbital with a truly strange design.
The only other one I can remember was the GOU Pity The Fool, so yeah, I'd love to see what other people come up with.

And no, I'm definitely a GCU. The full quote is: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but where does the title of Consider Phlebas come from? I just finished the book and aside from noting it was also the apparently out-of-nowhere title of the brief chapter where Horza died towards the end I'm a little puzzled.
Weirdly, just asked and answered on another thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3149277&pagenumber=1#post361942162

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

syphon posted:

Are all 'M' books Culture novels? All of the ones I've read so far are, but maybe I'm just selectively buying Culture books.
The M books are his sf-genre ones (mostly but not all Culture-set, as already said), the non-Ms are the more literary ones (though still with occasional sf peeking through in some of them.)

• Locked thread