Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Away Message posted:

Almost at the end:
We'll never know; if you're reading this he's long dead; had his appointment with the displacement drone and been zapped to the very livid heart of the system, corpse blasted to plasma in the vast erupting core of Chiark's sun,...
Could be argued this happened years and years after everything else in the book though.

When citizens of the Culture die, they typically have their bodies displaced into the sun. I don't believe this passage indicates that he chose to end his life.

Awesome Culture novel though, probably my favorite.

parsleyc fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Look to Windward is still my favourite of the Culture series, with Kabe being the best character by far. I think I may go read it again. I wish there were more chapters with just Kabe, Ziller, Hub and E. H Tersono talking, the cable car chapter is one of my favourites. Do we have any news on a possible next Culture novel?

Liveware Problem, however is still the best Mind name.

http://io9.com/5510972/iain-m-banks-has-finished-his-new-culture-novel-surface-detail

Looks like a new Culture novel is coming!

Funny that you mention Look to Windward, as the blurb mentions cyber-consciousnesses and life after death, which reminds me of the Soulkeepers that the Chelgrians had in that book.

Yeah, the cable car chapter was probably my favorite scene too, especially when the Hub reveals its actions during the Idiran-Culture War and it describes its emotions as it killed.

parsleyc fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 1, 2010

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

Inversions isn't strictly 'A Culture novel' so I'm not doing it I'm afraid! I haven't even read it actually, I should get round to it.

Yeah this is going on the back. I've actually mocked up the front covers of 2 already just to try and get a feel for the style. Keeping a slightly modified version of the current text with the same font for now.

I really, really like your covers. The only nitpick I have with it is that the "I" and "M." in "Iain M." are in white and they are right up against the white background of the covers. Perhaps you could shrink "Iain M." just a teeny little bit so it all fits within the black "Banks".

I'd love to see more.

• Locked thread