Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You could adapt almost any Culture novel to film. If something isn't amenable to visual adaptation, then unless it's vital to the plot or thematically relevant, you just change it.

Use of Weapons is the only one I can think of with actual legitimate obstacles, namely disguising "Zakalwe's" identity, but on the other hand finding a good cinematic solution to that would be really cool in its own right.

You could just shoot 2 different versions of the Elethiomel scenes with the actors switching roles after the reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'd also suggest reading Excession before Surface Detail to catch a passing reference.

interesting times gang?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

GCU Gravitas Well

Strawman fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 18, 2014

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Seldom Posts posted:

Phone posting so this won't be as much as I might normally write. The thing about excession for me was that how it showed how the minds were not as great as they think they are. Despite being ahead of the meat people, they are still as petty at heart as their creators which is why they aren't deemed worthy by the OCP.

Of course, they have to retain some aspect of their creators because Perfect AIs always Sublime.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

Saying "it's OK to kill people to protect others" is a completely different kettle of fish from "it's OK to kill people to conquer them and steal their stuff".

Because when you kill people to protect others, you don't say you were doing it because you wanted to steal their stuff.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

What possible use could Minds have for a bunch of primitive stuff stuck on the bottom of a gravity well?

I meant us. SC Minds are what interventionists in liberal democracies pretend to be.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Anyone here tried reading Use of Weapons in chronological order (I-XIII, numbered chapters, prologue, epilogue)? Is it worth doing?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

I was a pretty big fan of Sleeper Service. I just like the weirdos who gently caress off to do their own thing. Mistake Not... was a pretty cool guy too.

And of course Grey Area, which meatfucked off to do its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

By this metric, Guardians of the Galaxy would qualify.

That's controlled by whistling though, not an AI.

• Locked thread