Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alvie
May 22, 2008

I'm about three-quarters through Feersum Endjinn, which I found out about through the "videogames you wish existed" thread in GBS. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Especially Bascule the Teller's sections which are narrated by the illiterate bascule in a sort of phonetic pseudo-language with a slight Scottish accent. I would recommend this book to anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Baconroll posted:

I found Feersum Endjinn quite painful to read due to all the phonetic dialogue - When I met Iain Banks he told me it should be painful to read as it was painful to write !

I wholeheartedly disagree with both of you (Though not on the point of it being painful to write. I can imagine it was very difficult to write like that, though it paid off). The first chapter is difficult to slog through but once I picked up the rhythm of it, I was able to read it just as easily as the sections written in plain English. And I enjoyed it even more than those sections, probably because of the challenge of reading. I really think you get more of a sense of Bascule's character than any of the others just because of his mode of writing. It's like he's not hiding behind English. He writes exactly how he thinks and talks.

• Locked thread