Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Entropic posted:

An example of the "inscrutable higher intelligence" thing I really liked was in Greg Egan's last book Incandescence. It takes place in The Amalgam, a society even more advanced than The Culture who've basically colonized the entire galaxy, except for the core. That's the territory of The Aloof, whose existence is only known by the fact that any attempt to colonize the core is gently but systematically repelled by forces unknown.

Isn't that the same thing Vernor Vinge does in his books? Although the advanced culture stays away from the core for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

syphon posted:

I thought started with Use of Weapons, and while it was a decent starting point, I thought Player of Games seemed like the best place to start. It introduced and spent a decent amount of time in the Culture (so you got a great sense of how it worked), but then also had action and adventure throughout.

I just finished Consider Phlebas and started Player of Games. At about 150 pages into Player of Games I still think Horza was right.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FelchTragedy posted:

About what exactly? It's been a while since I read both.

People were hesitant to recommend Consider Phlebas because the protagonist, Horza, hates everything the Culture stands for and works as an agent for a fanatical alien race not because he believes in them but because they're trying to destroy the Culture.

Horza said the Culture was decadent, stagnant, non-spiritual, and entirely at the whims of the machines who didn't give a single poo poo about humankind.

• Locked thread