Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Heads up, UK goons - radio 4's airing State of the Art this week. Get yer arse over to iplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, I would say that Blindsight and The Mote in God's Eye are the only two books I can think of purely off the top of my head that did really alien aliens without resorting to 'goo!' or 'energy field!'. Blindsight's critters may seem analogous to certain terrestrial marine organisms but it's purely superficial body-plan stuff. (Fire Upon the Deep had some pretty creative aliens but they were psychologically very human.)

Banks' genius lies in making everything human anyway.

David Brin's Uplift stuff's got a fair few x-with-extra-bits races, but there's some stuff (Traeki/Jophur, Zang, G'kek, Solarians etc) that're pretty far off the beaten track.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Red Crown posted:

There's a massive roster of lists why AI should not be based on the human brain: For one, it is a very flawed creation. In the same way that programs can skew into odd places and are imperfect and buggy; the human brain has it's own software failings.

Banks doesn't say that Minds are directly based on brains, he said that they're designed to have some of the imperfections of their creator race so that they don't immediately Sublime upon being turned on.

• Locked thread