Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JgPz
Oct 21, 2008

Foxy Stoat posted:

The Lazy Gun in Against A Dark Background is cool, its effects when fired at a target are unpredictable, it might crush someone with an anchor, summon a tidal wave, or destroy a city with a comet. Definite Douglas Adams influence there, I reckon.

Ah this is where I'm running into problems with Use Of Weapons. The characters and situations are on occasion so drat wacky and zany when I was expecting it all to be a little more gritty. I almost stopped reading after the orgy, and again with the mutilation party.

I'm just over half way through and very tempted to stop. Is poo poo about to get real™ at any point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JgPz
Oct 21, 2008

Space Monster posted:

For the love of God, finish. It seems like a very strange book that doesn't make much sense until literally the very end, and then "Oh....that's an incredible piece of writing."

I just finished after putting it down for a couple weeks, more out of ocd than genuine interest. The ending was cool, I didn't care a lick for Zakalwe so I was just like 'hehe twisty'. Reading it as a comedy definitely helped, the part where Zakalwe fights the voiceless guy was funny.

Oh and to correct that list that was posted earlier, chronologically the prologue and epilogue most likely happen last. It's the only place where bald Zakalwe makes sense.

• Locked thread