Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
narfanator
Dec 16, 2008

Entropic posted:

If you want really alien aliens, you can end up with some pretty bizarre stories

SIR, I cannot properly convey the gratitude I hold to you for posting this link.
Two and half pages in and this is the most...
I diverge to convey; On numerous occasions the skillfully ordered presentation of concepts has resulted in mental states reminiscent of drugged ones
...this beauty is seeping into my mind. This is to Accelerando what Accelerando was to everything else.

I also don't think it would be having this effect if I hadn't spent as much effort as I have to make my own "genuinely alien" aliens. So, yeah, thanks a bunch, man. Going to share this around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008

Morlock posted:

Some friends and I had a "What would you call yourself if you were a Culture ship?" drunken conversation years ago, and I'm still proud of declaring myself the Adequately Explained By Stupidity.

I am going to remember this, and one day, post the results.

Also, that is an amazing name for a Culture Ship, although may be more fitting for an orbital with a truly strange design.

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008
Oh hell yes. Diaspora has what could be badly termed the intellectual's Snow Crash opening.

• Locked thread