Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Great writer, I love the Culture novels. Use of Weapons is easily in my top 5; the last page was absolutely brutal. The mix of absolutely hilarious comedy that is followed so quickly by complete despairing tragedy is insane.

Since it's getting to be a fad, my favorite ship name has to be Hand Me The Gun And Ask Me Again.

quote:

Reading Banks for the first time, Use of Weapons, and the order of the book is seriously sapping my enjoyment. I hate having a pretty interesting narrative completely and frequently interrupted by a little disjointed historical scene from Zak's life. I also feel completely in the dark regarding character's motivations and why they act the way they do. Zakalwe in particular seems the most schizophrenic, especially with the revelations about his past.

I enjoy the premise of the book and find it very original. To me the Culture like a Star Trek liberal utopia taken to the absolute extreme, yet it meddles and engages in cultural imperialism to an extent unimagined even by the people who complain about such things today. It's a fascinating yet entirely believable contradiction.

I'll finish the book, but unless the necessity of the unique chronological order becomes abundantly clear in the climax, or the characters start making more sense, I probably won't any further into this author.

For the love of God, finish. It seems like a very strange book that doesn't make much sense until literally the very end, and then "Oh....that's an incredible piece of writing."

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

JgPz posted:

I just finished after putting it down for a couple weeks, more out of ocd than genuine interest. The ending was cool, I didn't care a lick for Zakalwe so I was just like 'hehe twisty'. Reading it as a comedy definitely helped, the part where Zakalwe fights the voiceless guy was funny.

Oh and to correct that list that was posted earlier, chronologically the prologue and epilogue most likely happen last. It's the only place where bald Zakalwe makes sense.

I read the book in one sitting and managed to become very immersed in the book, I became emotionally attached to Zakalwe and so the end really hit me pretty hard.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Lasting Damage posted:

Yeah, that is definitely the desired effect. Its a bit like getting to like a coworker or some other acquaintance, only to discover later that they're profoundly racist. I think it also mirrors how some people with really repugnant attitudes will white wash their comments or behavior as being jokey or just a bit of messing around.

As for the plot, it seems like Excession almost always doesn't meet the expectations of readers, for better or worse. I've come to really like the book after initially being disappointed, and a few rereads helped me catch all the details sprinkled through it.

So you're the one who stole my first choice of names. (Lasting Damage is my CS handle too :D)

• Locked thread