Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Honestly I picked up the Algerbraist in an airport and struggled to read through the first chapter. When I finally managed to push through a couple more it was just incredibly boring, incredibly wierd and didn't really pull me in or engage me in anyway. A lot of the minor details and stuff in the dialogue was really jarring as well and nothing really seemed to mesh together.

If I had to explain it I'd say it felt like I was reading a book in an established universe that I had no prior knowledge of. Maybe the book gets really good after the first couple of chapters but I wouldn't know because I wasn't really interested in getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Turpitude posted:

That's understandable, I personally loved that feeling of being lost in a strange universe with completely hosed up aliens and having no clue what was going on, but everyone's different. Consider Phlebas is really his best book to start with, it's just non stop action from start to finish and establishes the universe of the Culture which most of Banks' books are a part of but the Algebraist is *not*.

I'll look that up then. I honestly can't quite pin down what I didn't like about the Algebraist but it was just so drat difficult to get into. There were bits where it shined through and I definitely didn't think it was a bad book, just not really my cup of tea.

• Locked thread