Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So, I started Use of Weapons and Player of Games 4 years ago, bounced off them a bit, and then moved.

Found them in my storage unit and read those and Surface Detail in a total of four or five days.

What's a good place to go next? I have Against a Dark Background, but I'm jonesing for some Culture stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm just gonna go bugfuck nuts on amazon, then.

I loved Player of Games. That ending, man. I kind of figured the epilogue twist with the drone, but the Emporer going bugfuck nuts and doing the mass suicide thing was totally unexpected but made perfect sense, and it kind of seemed like maybe Gurgeh was raised from birth to go and play Azad as some kind of long-term SC plan. Loved it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'll take your advice, then.

Man, I haven't gotten this into a sci-fi author since I powered through Ellison's short stories years ago. And as for a setting, never. I like how it's well-thought out but never really relies on technobabble. Anything that will be used later in the story is set up as one of many minor details earlier on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Powaqoatse posted:

Just read them in publication order, I don't see a reason for putting together a weird book playlist :shrug:

Thought about doing that, but my understanding is that there are some books that flesh out the setting more than others. It's not a direct series of sequels, so I figured I'd go with some recommendations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lack of Gravitas posted:

No advice for what to read next, but please don't ruin your experience by binge-reading everything over a couple of weeks, there won't be any more new books coming out for you to look forward to :smith:

It's the slow season at work (EMT in a college town, and all the dumbass kids are gone) so I've been powering through them at work. I usually read one in a 24 hour shift. At this rate, I'll be out of Banks in a month. :smith:

There are worse things than having an author associated in my brain with that awesome summer where I got paid to read all his books while I sat in the sun, though.

• Locked thread