Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just finished my last Banks book (Hydrogen Sonata. I actually started with Algebraist and then read the Culture series in publication order). I am now starving for more good scifi. My favorite of the Culture books is Look to Windward by far (mostly because I didn't even realize what he was saying me until nearly the last page when I realized that oh, morally it is find and in fact perhaps sometimes for the best when an individual seeks to end their own life, and in fact those that force them to hold on past when they're ready to go may be doing them real harm. It was probably the only mature discussion of the right to end your own life that I'd ever read. I cried.

My second most favorite is probably Excession just because I love reading the ships interacting. That aspect of Hydrogen Sonata really scratched that itch too.

Looking around on google for recs mostly leads to sad puppy reading lists on reddit (gross), but I did see recs for Ursula K Le Guin and A Fire in the Deep. I ordered the latter and will be browsing my used book store for the former since everything on amazon was used anyway. What else should I put onto my reading list? I'd be especially interested in any woman or poc authors that might be out there, though obviously I'll read anything that isn't loaded up with weird fascist overtones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I like how the Culture has technically hit the singularity but decided that kicking around in modified but ultimately pretty inefficient humanoid bodies is Cool and Good.

Right up until everyone decides that being a bush or whatever is fashionable as gently caress.

It's a pretty neat question into the whole "human nature/meaning of life" thing. Like sure, Culture people could just consign themselves into an existence free of the limitations of flesh bodies via subliming, group minds, or any number of other things, but then again what's the point of that? Humans are motivated by doing what feels good, and Culture people, by and large, can do what feels good to them without having a negative impact on themselves, the people around them, or even the universe at large. If you can do whatever pops into your head (except harm another person) without any consequences at all, what would your motivation for seeking some higher form even be. You have no way to know that that higher form will actually be better and you know you're having a great time just how you are.

Pretty much I think the premise of the Culture is, to some extent, a rejection of that sort of Star Trek-ian notion that life forms will inevitably evolve to some point where they become something else entirely unbounded by the limitations of human bodies (energy beings, godlike entities, etc). There's no motivation to do that, at least on a societal scale, if you have the resources and technology to do whatever you want and don't have any religious beliefs compelling you to do it (Hydrogen Sonata touches on this quite a bit).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Print is dead.

the artform formerly known as print

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I think it would be a very fast picket actually.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

General Battuta posted:

Gibson owns because everything he wrote came true (in the abstract if not the specifics) and because he has good prose which can stand up with ~real~ writers. Like Banks he ended up writing books which weren't science fiction, but while Banks did it because he could Gibson did it because then world caught up to him.

We can only hope this comes true for Banks some time in the future too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

People who don't like Consider Phlebas:
read Consider Phlebas as if it was Use of Weapons, only the main character works for the OTHER SIDE.

I like Consider Phlebas because it enables Look to Windward to exist.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I was a pretty big fan of Sleeper Service. I just like the weirdos who gently caress off to do their own thing. Mistake Not... was a pretty cool guy too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Strawman posted:

And of course Grey Area, which meatfucked off to do its own thing.

Yes, him too. Basically eccentrics are the best and in my headcanon the excession was just another eccentric who hosed off to somewhere that it learned to do some crazy cool poo poo in and came back just to gently caress with special circumstances.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I thought it was fitting because the ship's personality is pretty clearly portrayed as it having an extremely high opinion of itself but also being a bit immature. It fits that it would give itself kind of an overwrought "badass" name.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Powaqoatse posted:

Just read them in publication order, I don't see a reason for putting together a weird book playlist :shrug:

This is what I did and it was fine. That said, Look to Windward is Banks' greatest work in my opinion.

Also, thanks for the Vernor Vinge rec a while back. I'm now about 1/3 of the way through Children of the Sky and drat do I love me some dogbros and some spiderbros. It's kind of satisfying that for the most part I hate the human characters because even the ones that are "good guys" are too often doing stupid poo poo that makes things worse due to their emotional blind spots and such. Pham Nuwen is an exception obvs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Look to windward seriously comes together in practically the last pages to dawn on you as an extremely poignant exploration of a fundamental human issue. The right to die on your own terms and with dignity. I hadn't even thought much on the topic and when I hit the end I suddenly realized I had feelings about it.

• Locked thread