Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFatController
Mar 6, 2003

Just to chime in on Against a Dark Background, I never particularly found the Lazy Guns concept to be that crazy or zany as a theme in the book is the philosophising on whether their society can ever achieve a balance or perfection or whether every ruling system is going to be just as bad and so fourth - the Lazy Guns represent the solution to this, left in their system after the destruction of the AIs (who strike me as similar to or even more advanced than a culture mind), they are devices which can miraculously create and alter matter on any seemingly any level but can only be used for destruction. It's as if they were left as a sort of 'hey look what you jerks could have had if you'd only trusted technology' message which would be in line with Bank's sci-fi philosophy in other novels, the only real glimmer of hope at the end of the book is the city of Androids (or of course the AI hiding in a 'The Algebraist' style escape as its destruction is never clearly described)

Probably my favourite banks book alongside Feersum Endjinn

TheFatController fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFatController
Mar 6, 2003

Entropic posted:

His upcoming book Surface Detail is supposed to be going further into all the "afterlife" stuff with Sublimed involvement that was established in LTW, so we'll see...

From the blurb (and what I hope) it sounds to me more like a Feersum Endjinn style set-up which will deal with some epic virtual reality type plane of existence which hasn't been touched upon too much yet in the culture universe and a different matter to subliming.

TheFatController
Mar 6, 2003

FelchTragedy posted:

Going to meet Iain next week. Anything worth asking maybe?

Ask him whether the cola Bascule drinks at the end of Feersum Endjinn is Coke or Pepsi

• Locked thread