Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

Posting to complain that I can't find Look to Windward in any of my nearby bookstores. I go into one? The only Banks thing they have is that horrible short story collection, The State of the Art. The other has every Culture book EXCEPT what I want. And so on.

And everywhere, fifty thousand copies of Wizard's First Rule ALL OVER THE loving PLACE ARRGH DIE TERRY GOODKIND YOU loving HACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

Chokeslam posted:

In fact the Dwellers were IMO the coolest race ever created in any fantasy/sci-fi setting ever. Their dialogues, modes of thought and culture were by far the most interesting part of the book for me.
Banks seems good at creating alien species that are, well, alien. Unless they're humanoids (the Culture universe is rather Star Trekish in that regard) he tends to describe them pretty well; he makes them interesting, fun to read about.

Except for the Affront. Still well written but, gently caress those guys.

And I'm about to start reading Excession, too.

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

I'd say Matter is most definitely one of the weakest of the Culture novels. I just finished it last week and was pretty disappointed. Just didn't seem to have the magic of his other novels, although the Morthenveld home system was pretty interesting. The ending was rather lackluster and it just felt like the whole story meandered in space for too long. Could have easily been 100pgs shorter I felt.
Agreed. I just finished this yesterday and..well... it's full of neat stuff. The Shellworld concept rocks. The look at various aliens and the 'mentoring' system is interesting. But the story itself seemed to get lost somewhere in these ideas, leading to a very unsatisfying ending.

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

darkgray posted:

I wrote that. I have a thing against every single character dying, though, so we can blame that.
The whole setting was sad and gloomy. Very neat idea, an advanced civilization confined to one solar system and so endlessly repeating cycles of high development and catastrophe but it did lend an air of futility to everything.
(edit) everybody loving dying at the end didn't help either. :(

Still it's a pretty fun read.

Away Message fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 23, 2009

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

Posting to point out that I just finished Against a Dark Background again, because of this thread, and now I'm depressed.

:emo:

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

Entropic posted:

Where on earth did you get the idea that he commits suicide? And he didn't fall in love with Azad the society at all, just Azad the game.
Almost at the end:
We'll never know; if you're reading this he's long dead; had his appointment with the displacement drone and been zapped to the very livid heart of the system, corpse blasted to plasma in the vast erupting core of Chiark's sun,...
Could be argued this happened years and years after everything else in the book though.

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

These Loving Eyes posted:

Finished The Player of Games today and as the OP mentioned, it felt a bit too simplistic and maybe even lacklustre. I couldn't help myself from interpreting the whole portrayal of the Azadian culture as a half-assed social commentary on Western governments and corrupted power structures (even though he probably didn't intend that). While I did enjoy the book, I wish there had been more to it. The plot followed its neat straight path and the ending felt anticlimatic.

Anyways, I'd love to check out his other Culture novels. Which one would you guys recommend reading next?
My favorites would be Use of Weapons or maybe Excession. Can't decide. Look to Windward in the second place.

Though my favorite of his sci-fi writings is Against A Dark Background, it's not actually a Culture book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Does the ending of Look to Windward suggestthat the Culture died out eventually or they sublimed instead?
Not enough information, I think.

- That form was once known to us, we are sure, just as this one might have been once known to us. The representation that you have shown here corresponds to the form which is, or was, known as human. Appended to the deep search of our memory archives which was mentioned earlier will be the image that you are showing here. This search has not discovered anything of note thus far. It will take a little longer to complete because of the appendment of the visual image of the human form to it.
- Human. This is interesting to us, though the nature of the interest is historical.

Some time later,

...came to study the embodiment of the self to which you speak from the civilisation which was once known as the Culture.

That's really all there is about it.

Away Message fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 10, 2009

• Locked thread