Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FelchTragedy posted:

18 months between book releases from now on as he said he is getting on. Matter was early 2008 so it should be approaching I guess.

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that Transition is up for pre-order on amazon. Due out at the end of September. It's weird that it's an 'M' novel, because the description doesn't make it seem like high SF:

Spoiler just in case, but if there's anything actually spoilery in the Amazon blurb I'm going to be mad.
A world that hangs suspended between triumph and catastrophe, between the dismantling of the Wall and the fall of the Twin Towers, frozen in the shadow of suicide terrorism and global financial collapse, such a world requires a firm hand and a guiding light. But does it need the Concern: an all-powerful organisation with a malevolent presiding genius, pervasive influence and numberless invisible operatives in possession of extraordinary powers? On the Concern's books are Temudjin Oh, an un-killable assassin who journeys between the peaks of Nepal, a version of Victorian London and the dark palaces of Venice; and a nameless, faceless torturer known only as the Philosopher. And then there's the renegade Mrs Mulverhill, who recruits rebels to her side; and Patient 8262, hiding out from a dirty past in a forgotten hospital ward. As these vivid, strange and sensuous worlds circle and collide, the implications of turning traitor to the Concern become horribly apparent, and an unstable universe is set on a dizzying course.

It sounds... bizarre. Here's to hoping it's another good one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Decius posted:

I think it's more a case of interesting than good,

And don't forget that it's of particular interest not because it keeps eating ships, but because the way it's connected to the hyperspace grid implies that the Culture could learn from it how to escape the heat death of the universe which is one of the only tech questions they still have floating around.

Personally, Excession was the first Culture novel I read and it continues to be my favorite. IIRC, my dad gave it to me after I read and enjoyed A Fire Upon the Deep, partially because it has a similar style but with the Minds talking to each other rather than space-newsgroup postings. Minds are my favorite bit of the Culture, and Excession has it in spades even if the humans get pushed to the wayside even more than usual.

Has there been any more news about the movie of Gift from the Culture that was announced a few months back? It doesn't even seem to be listed on IMDB.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Kire posted:

Thank you so much for linking to that free copy of Palimpsest. I just finished reading it, what an amazing book.

Should we have a Charles Stross thread in here? I've read most of his stuff and it tends to be pretty good, with the occasional misstep here or there. Not sure if he's big enough to have his own discussion, though.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'm working on an OP for a Stross thread, trying to include all of his online stuff. So far, it's

Scratch Monkey (Early, unpublished work. Haven't read it.)
Toast, the short story collection which includes A Colder War.
Palimpsest
Accelerando (The full book, Creative Commons!)
And the Laundry novelettes, Concrete Jungle, Down on the Farm, and Overtime.

And some random links to stories o his blog, which is quite robust.

Have I missed anything in particular?

Oh, and I'm open to title suggestions. "The Work of Charles Stross: Living with the Singularity"?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 5, 2010

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

staberind posted:

psychobabble aside, should any of the culture novels be made into a film; what book, and who would portray what/who?

You know that there's apparently a movie of A Gift From the Culture in the works, right? We're coming up on a solid year with no new information so it's totally possible the thing is DOA, but I'm willing to hold onto hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I've been avoiding this thread for a month because it's been depressing me, but I needed to come back and say-- gently caress. gently caress gently caress. gently caress! :smith:

That's about all I can express.

• Locked thread