Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

proudfoot posted:

Yup, after one galactic year, the Culture no longer exists, presumably having sublimed, destroyed by an outside context problem, or somehow switched galaxies/universes or changed into something unrecognizable as the Culture.

A Galactic Year is about 250 million years, that's quite some time to be top dog in the galaxy. At the time most books take place the Culture is just a few thousand years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Comstar posted:

I never understood why the Excession was considered a good thing considering every ship that sent a probe into it was attacked forcibly taken over.

I think it's more a case of interesting than good, which for the AIs might be enough to consider it positively. If you're basically a godlike people with few things to fear in this galaxy, potentially dangerous things from somewhere else hold some appeal, even if they might or might not bring the destruction of your civilization (there's always the ascension way out if necessary), simply because of the stimulus they provide.

I think it is a topic that Neal Asher explored quite a bit more with his Polity series, which has similar premises (AI ruled post-scarcity (or nearly so) humanity) but with some significant differences.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

alkanphel posted:

Technically couldn't the Culture just sublime and escape the heat-death? I am currently re-reading Excession and it mentions that parts of the Culture have already sublimed but the majority don't want to do so yet.

Even sublimed they would still be in this universe and most likely be subjected to the heat-death. Maybe the last thing to die, but the sublimed species would most likely still do so if they can't escape to another universe (and if not the universe wouldn't be dead, since there is something of the universe left, although it would probably be pretty boring).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I love the cover art for The Algebraist, it's one of my favorites of all time. If it was available as a poster/print, I'd probably buy it and put it on my wall.

It's not cheap, but you can buy it here: http://www.spaceimages.com/io.html

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

pseudorandom name posted:

Fun fact: the actual physical book is the least expensive part of the process, and Amazon is screwing everybody with Kindle pricing.

It's not Amazon, it's the publishers who - with help of Apple - managed to get Amazon to switch to an agent model for most of them, meaning the publisher sets the price and Amazon just gets a share of it. It was done mostly because publishers thought that Amazon's 9.99 was way too cheap for e-books.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

enigma74 posted:

Someone mentioned The Culture as having potentially disappeared after one galactic cycler earlier - something about a hegemonizing swarm, OCM, and sublimination. What does OCM stand for?

Yes, it was in the epilogue of Look to Windward I think? The one with the gigantic intelligent space whales in air bubbles that work as ecosystem for other species and are near immortal. We meet one at the novels main timeline and once again after the Culture has vanished. Although it's probably longer than most intelligent species stay on the stage - a Galactic Cycle is 230 million years after all.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Prolonged Priapism posted:

With regard to the destruction of the Beats Working, yeah I think this is the first time we see a Culture ship get owned by something less than equiv-tech. Keep in mind though, the Beats Working is a 100m, literally unarmed, 5 person crew ship. So it facing off against the Liseiden fleet would be like a modern day speedboat with a young Magneto onboard trying to disable a dozen ships of the line from 1813 and prevent them from blasting some slower, clumsier, worse armed war galleys from the 1650s. Yeah, the speedboat can run rings around the 19th century fleet, and could escape no problem at all, and while young Magneto can deflect some shots from himself and can mess with the workings of all the ships at once, it's a huge effort, he has to be right in their midst to do it, and eventually somebody will get off a lucky shot and end the battle. Which is what happens, more or less.

Also, the Beats Working tried not to hurt the Liseiden ships, only keep them from shooting things up. It used effectors, and was able to control the targeting and fire control - meaning it could easily have used the Liseiden weapons to take out other ships if it wanted, even if it hadn't had any weapons of its own. It chose not to.

Liked The Hydrogen Sonata quite a bit, but then I had no major problem with Surface Detail or Matter either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
poo poo. loving cancer. :(

• Locked thread