Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

brc64 posted:

I was going to add yours, but your first post said your company wasn't looking yet, so I skipped it. Mistake corrected. :)

I actually just talked to my COO, and he's ready to start interviewing now! Hurray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
See http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post366126943

foghorn fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 23, 2009

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Model Camper posted:

A lot of the people I went to undergrad with went this route straight out of school (I've got friends at Bloomberg) or the ERP consulting route (Accenture) and we've often talked about what we do day to day. They made a lot more money than I did taking my general sys admin job at a small company but now, a few years later, I've got a really broad set of skills and they're focused on one or two specific support tasks. Yeah, they still make more money (they also work in NYC and I work on LI right now) but I'm happy with the route I chose.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course. But like Jerk McJerkface said, it takes a certain kind of person and experience to work with finance people.

Well, at my company you'll get experience in everything.

Here's what I work with on a day to day basis (at just the one client we're looking for someone to assist me):

Windows Domain (with multiple servers)
RADIUS Server
Asterisk PBX
Adtran core couters
Sonicwall firewalls
HP Blade servers
Multiple vendor leaselines (we're up to five now)
Four locations for DR/redudancy
Source based routing
Video conferencing
Multiple trading aps (Bloomberg, Calyon, TT, etc)

Now, I'm not good at all these things, but from two years ago when I was making 12 bucks an hour repairing WW2 era gyroscopes to managing this beast of a network, I think I'm diversified quite a bit.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Ohhh Fun.

I've got an interesting position I'm looking to fill.

Who we are: Freeverse, INC. One of the top iPhone Game Developers
Where we are: New York City (Brooklyn) and the rest of the world

---

Job title: Contract Programer for odds and ends

What we want: We are at the top of the iPhone dev market right now. We get thrown a lot of contract work that we sadly have to turn down due to our programers being maxed out. We are looking for a person or team who we can send contract work to. We've had to turn down a lot of high profile work on Movie properties, large high profile apps and such. Finding a person or a team in NYC would be great, but it's not necessary. We have people who work with us all over the world. You have to be extremely self motivated and able to think on your own. We move extremely fast and need someone who can take initiative. You must know Obj-C, C++ and OpenGL. You must be available to work standard work hours (so anyone looking to pick up stuff on the weekends need not apply).

This is not a permanent gig, it's would be paid per job. But we have no shortage of work for 2009. You must be able to supply me with a working application and source code for evaluation. You must have an Intel Mac with OS X 10.5 and must use Xcode. No Unity apps allowed.

Pay is based on complexity of the application and the speed it can get done. But we pay very well. Recent/Upcoming College grads are more than welcome to apply.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
My Experience: BSc in Internet Computing from UK University. Plenty of experience with Windows and Linux, programming in C, perl, PHP, shell scripting... basic HTML/CSS stuff (not a designer by any means), reverse engineering / hacking / security stuff, basic networking (firewalls, routing, VLANs, etc), system administration and lots of other random poo poo.

What I'm looking for: Something that involves the above, most likely system/network admin or something in the security field.

What I'm NOT looking for: Short-term, contract work, low-paid hourly stuff, CJ positions. Anything that involves a lot of travel.

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the US and Canada. Will requires H1-B for US work since I'm British (yeah that's usually a deal-killer :()

When I can start: Within a month or so.

Requirements: Health insurance, good salary, usual benefits, relocation assistance if possible since I'll essentially be dropping everything when I move.

Contact info in my profile.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

R1CH posted:

My Experience: BSc in Internet Computing from UK University. Plenty of experience with Windows and Linux, programming in C, perl, PHP, shell scripting... basic HTML/CSS stuff (not a designer by any means), reverse engineering / hacking / security stuff, basic networking (firewalls, routing, VLANs, etc), system administration and lots of other random poo poo.

What I'm looking for: Something that involves the above, most likely system/network admin or something in the security field.

What I'm NOT looking for: Short-term, contract work, low-paid hourly stuff, CJ positions. Anything that involves a lot of travel.

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the US and Canada. Will requires H1-B for US work since I'm British (yeah that's usually a deal-killer :()

When I can start: Within a month or so.

Requirements: Health insurance, good salary, usual benefits, relocation assistance if possible since I'll essentially be dropping everything when I move.

Contact info in my profile.

If I had a company, you could mail me a paper that said:

quote:

R1CH:

Waffleimages

And I'd hire you in a second.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

hippieman posted:

What we want: We are at the top of the iPhone dev market right now. We get thrown a lot of contract work that we sadly have to turn down due to our programers being maxed out. We are looking for a person or team who we can send contract work to. We've had to turn down a lot of high profile work on Movie properties, large high profile apps and such. Finding a person or a team in NYC would be great, but it's not necessary. We have people who work with us all over the world. You have to be extremely self motivated and able to think on your own. We move extremely fast and need someone who can take initiative. You must know Obj-C, C++ and OpenGL. You must be available to work standard work hours (so anyone looking to pick up stuff on the weekends need not apply).
If I've developed iPhone apps but have no C++/OpenGL experience, would it be a waste of time to apply?

j4cbo
Nov 1, 2004
huh?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If I had a company, you could mail me a paper that said:

And I'd hire you in a second.

I included WaffleImages on my resume. It's worked pretty well so far, actually.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
No longer looking.

tortilla_chip fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 27, 2010

jongp4
Jul 7, 2008
Posting up some Job Openings for Rosetta Stone:
http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...-287673667-TD-4

I work for Rosetta Stone in Harrisonburg, VA I also work closely with some of the people in our Arlington office as well. If you find any interest in any of the jobs listed on Career Builder please contact me by email jongp3 @ g mail . com or AIM jongp316

Rosetta Stone offers a nice bonus for referrals. Plus you have a much better chance of getting an interview when a current employee submits the resume. I would be happy to split whatever bonus I get if it helps someone get a job.

We have lots of openings available I work in Software Development and have former ties with IT. Any other jobs I can always but in a good word.

jongp4 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 11, 2009

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

take boat posted:

If I've developed iPhone apps but have no C++/OpenGL experience, would it be a waste of time to apply?

No, we've had several people who really only had XNA as experience. It transfers over nicely. It's more what language do you work in?

widds2v
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry, I'm socially retarded.
My experience: 5 years experience in the Navy as an IT. Active TS/SCI clearance. Have worked with Windows NT, 2000, XP, Server 2000, Server 2003, HP UX, & Solaris from everything between entry level help desk and system administration. First ship was 1200 users and about 800 computer assets, second ship was 300 users and 180 computer assets. Have some experience with Veritas BackupExec 10, Cisco routers, Alcatel omniswitch & 7700 series switches and Packateer packetshapers. Have military schooling for GCCS & TBMCS (both unix based tactical computer systems).
What I'm looking for: Federal/Government would be nice. I've always liked the network security side of IT, would like to get into that.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk
Where I live: San Diego, CA area (looking to relocate)
Where I'm looking: Anywhere
When I can start: May 2009 would be earliest
Requirements: Health insurance is a must
Can be reached via: widds2v(at)gmail(d0t)com

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

widds2v posted:

Active TS/SCI clearance

I'd suggest looking around the DC/NoVA area. There are a lot of job openings around here for anyone with an active security clearance. Try clearedjobs.net

My experience: 3 years Windows 2003 and Linux Admin, 1 year all Linux. RHCE and MCSA 2000 certified. 1 year computer forensics experience. Currently in grad school for MS in Information Security.
What I'm looking for: Large Linux or Unix based networks, preferably in a network security role and working on a good team of people. Clearance would be nice also.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry Level positions
Where I live: Washington, DC area
When I can start: After April (Going to Europe for a month in March and April)
Requirements: Good pay, good environment, education and training benefits.

Puck42 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 11, 2011

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist
Just so happens the IT department I work in has a couple of openings in the UK right now.

Who are we? We're a medium sized Media company based in the UK and USA

Where are we? We have offices in SF and NY in USA. In the UK our offices are in London and our HQ is towards the western end of the M4 corridor in England. These openings are at the UK HQ site.

What are we looking for?

1 - Helpdesk "analyst". What can I say? I'll be honest - this is your basic entry level helpdesk role, taking calls and helping users. Being a media company we're heavy with both Macs and PCs with lots of different and interesting things going on. Experience with modern Macs is a definite plus point.

2 - Perl Developer. This is working moderate level on internal corporate systems, building and maintaining a variety of applications originated in-house. There's probably scope for working on internet-facing apps too, but this isn't my team so I'm not certain. This is working on primarily Unix and Linux systems, with Perl and SQL (Oracle). There's likely to be a smattering of Java too, and possibly other languages. Pay starts at £30k.

Why work for us? So far we're pretty stable even troubled times. There are company pension and healthcare plans if you want to sign up to them. Holiday allocation is pretty generous and doesn't include public holidays in the count, so you get even more. We have a strong history of supporting people who want to move up inside the company - there are several people with the word "director" in their job title who started off on the bottom rung - and even in IT there's scope to do that.

Sounds awesome, I want to apply for one! OK, email awful dot nene at googlemail dot com. I'll send you some more details, and we'll see what happens. You can post here to discuss too, but I'm not going to be putting any info that directly identifies me or the company in public.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

nene posted:

Just so happens the IT department I work in has a couple of openings in the UK right now.
Woohoo, Job Fair has gone international! And wow, 7 job postings already, awesome!

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
EDIT: Found a job

ErikTheRed fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 13, 2009

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
--

Daddy Fantastic fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 22, 2011

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

brc64 posted:

Woohoo, Job Fair has gone international! And wow, 7 job postings already, awesome!

Might as well toss another UK job opening in!

Who are we?
We're Codestuff LTD, a small, young IP Video software company (CCTV/Security focused). We develop everything on the software side of IP video, ranging from viewing applications to transcoders and video analytics. We do custom work for some of the big players on the market, and are right now rolling out our own suite of solutions for direct sale.

Where are we?
Our office is in the central belt of Scotland, midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

What are we looking for?
Right now we're looking for software engineers with experience in anything Object-Oriented. We work in C#/.NET and C++, and our software base is heavily OO. It doesn't really matter if you've any experience in C# (or c++, for that matter) as long as you're able to pick it up on the fly and actually have a good grasp of the underlying concepts. Experience with Video is a big plus, as is experience with building GUIs and/or network stuff.

We've got more work coming in than we've engineers to actually do it, so you are quite free to choose an area that interests you to specialize towards, or stay/become an all-rounder. If you expect strict guidance and rigorous job-description, we're probably not for you.

In the coming months we'll need people for customer support and dedicated testing engineers, but not yet - if this thread's still going by then I'll certainly post an update.

Why work for us?
We're a nice small start-up company, heavily skewed towards actual development (3/4 of the employees (and two of the directors) are developers, there's an actual productive relationship with the sales people). Hours are flexible, and so is your role - typical start-up fare, essentially. The good thing is that we're a few years old (more than five now), are actually pretty stable income-wise, and are set to grow rapidly over the coming year.

Back in August I moved from The Netherlands to Scotland to come work here, so I might be a bit biased, but if you like working for small companies this is basically heaven - freedom to do anything, really innovative products (we won numerous awards for them) and a great team and atmosphere (plus good lunches and boozy nights out), but there's actual money coming in and we're wholy emplyee-owned (no VC sress, yay).

Sounds awesome, I want to apply!
PM me or post in this thread. I'll add some more detail if you want, or send you some samples of what we're working on.

Dr. Fred
Jun 14, 2000
Thread stickied.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Dr. Fred posted:

Thread stickied.
Wow, awesome! Bring on the jobs!

cepheusei
Aug 6, 2007
the biggest hypocrites usually quote the most scriptures

cepheusei fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 9, 2009

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

cepheusei posted:

Where can I contact you? I have experience with a lot of the technologies you mentioned as well as with the financial industry (assuming my blurb interests you).

Shoot an email over to ericcorp AT gmail DOT com and I'll hook you up with my office.

joe87653
Jul 9, 2002

joe87653 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 28, 2014

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Mr_PK posted:

Worth a shot! We need someone for our group
There's a Gilbert, AZ? Also, we now have 10 job postings!

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist
Someone I know has just posted to a UK internet/ISP mailing list that I'm on that PA Photos are looking for a Linux sysadmin to be based in Nottingham. I don't really have any details since I'm nothing to do with them, but it looks like your bog-standard Linux admin role plus a bit of Windows AD and exchange. They say the salary is up to £25k depending on experience.

Don't ask me anything about it, because I don't know ;) I just thought I would pass it on for my fellow goons. :v:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Who we are: Gallup
Where we are: All over the world, but only hiring right now in Madison, WI
Job title: Technical Project Manager

Go to the site for more information. There is a hiring freeze right now so no more Java or Oracle devs will be hired. Those positions may also be available at Omaha, NE.

Requirements: Relocation. See site for job requirements, though.

Benefits: Can't complain. Health, dental, 401k, ability to purchase stock, access to the company's Credit Union with supposedly great interest rates, life insurance, etc. Only thing different than other companies is that there is no sick time or vacation time. You just take off when you need to as long as your team is OK with it. If you're sick, you're sick. They understand.

They also use that performance based salary deal where you can ask for $100K, get paid $80K if you're under performance, get $100K if you meet your goals, and get $120K if you exceed it by a certain amount.

Also: Gallup is known for HR type work -- doing interviewing for other companies by putting candidates through their own rigorous processes, etc. It's exhausting getting in (luckily I was grandfathered via a company merger), but completely worth it.

edit: this is old and I don't work there anymore. Sorry for getting your hopes up, midwest goons. A new post from me might be in the near future about work at a datacenter.

feld fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 24, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

feld posted:

They also use that performance based salary deal where you can ask for $100K, get paid $80K if you're under performance, get $100K if you meet your goals, and get $120K if you exceed it by a certain amount.
This is such a foreign concept to me that I'm having trouble believing it's even real. Do you have offices in Dallas? :v:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised (but completely happy!) that we're starting to get more job postings than requests, considering how few and far between job posting threads have been in the past. This is great! Again, please let me know if you find out if any of these positions have been filled so I can remove them from the first post.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've already gotten a few emails about my companies job posting!

Just to add some more information for everyone:

1) We're not interested in remote agents. Unless you have lots of VOIP or Asterisk experience, we wouldn't really have any use for a remote agent for our financial clients. Sorry

2) We're really interested in someone with Adtran experience. it's not a requirement, but you have to know something about networking.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist
Just to clarify from my original job opening post, since I've had an email about it, to the best of my knowledge there are currently no openings in our US arm. If I see anything I'll post here.

Sorry, I do wish you all the best of luck.

Better news; I know this isn't exactly SH/SC fair, but I did notice a possible opening for a flash developer in the UK at our HQ site. I'm afraid I don't have any details on this at all though, since it's in a completely different department.

SomekindaZombie
Sep 16, 2002
Great idea for a thread.

SomekindaZombie fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2010

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Hey, if anyone tried to email my personnel email account today, please resend your email. We migrated our companies exchange server, and that one didn't get copied over all day.

Thanks!

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

brc64 posted:

This is such a foreign concept to me that I'm having trouble believing it's even real. Do you have offices in Dallas? :v:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised (but completely happy!) that we're starting to get more job postings than requests, considering how few and far between job posting threads have been in the past. This is great! Again, please let me know if you find out if any of these positions have been filled so I can remove them from the first post.

Only two offices in Texas and they're both in and just outside Houston, from what I recall. Only one of them has any tech staff at all. A ton of offices have no tech staff and are completely remote; you'd only visit them on a very rare basis. This mainly applies to the ones outside the USA, though.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

brc64 posted:

We've actually had plenty of job postings in the past. I'd say more job postings by far than qualified Goon-applicants looking for work.

We previously had a job posting only thread, but it was never stickied and disappeared.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
My experience: Graduating with a CS degree in 2009. Background in EE. Three years of research experience and author of two papers.
What I'm looking for: A research position or full time job. Java, C++, Python.
What I'm NOT looking for: Cleaning stalls and sorting filing cabinets. IT/Sysadmin work.
Where I live: West Lafayette, IN, but moving back to Chicago in December.
Where I'm looking: Chicago, New York, or Indianapolis.
When I can start: Spring 2010.
Requirements: Need an advance if I'm going to be moving any farther than Illinois/Indiana. Business should be stable.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, joseph dot catrambone at gmail.com.

Resume available on request.

Contrary to the avatar, I don't watch anime.

Jo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 9, 2009

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Boy, this Funke is all anybody's ever talking about!
Edit: Job found.

Poops McGee fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 17, 2009

res
Feb 25, 2005
there is always hope
Got laid off,

My experience: 1 year c#(csla, wpf, windows forms), 6 months TA for data structures class at OSU, B.S. in Accounting, June 2008
What I'm looking for: Full time software development job with c#, preferably .net 3.5. Or IT Audit
What I'm NOT looking for: System/network admin.
Where I live: Columbus, OH
Where I'm looking: Columbus, Cincinnati
When I can start: ASAP
Requirements: Competitive salary, good benefits, good work environment
Can be reached via: PM, or resssssssssss at gmail dotcom

Trikster Thief
Aug 6, 2004

I don't smile, sometimes I only pretend to smile, so you can leave me alone. (not e/n)
My Experience: Graduated in Dec 08 with an IT degree with a year in on-site tech support for 100 programmers with miscellaneous hardware, windows 2000/ XP/2003 server/Vista and Office issues. (Including making and installing images, isolating and removing viruses, outlook issues, the usual). Warranty management with the distributor. Preventive and corrective maintenance to desktops, notebooks, servers and communication equipment. Multimedia and videoconference equipment installation. Computer equipment inventory control. CCNA and CCNA Voice, fluent in english and spanish and french.
What I'm looking for: entry level either in on-site technical support, help desk, system/network admin or voice. I want to learn as much as possible.
What I'm NOT Looking For: Software development.
Where I Live: Monterrey, Mexico
Where I'm Looking: Montreal, Québec.
When I Can Start: Anytime.
Requirements: Full Time and paid relocation if possible.
Can Be Reached Via: constantino dot saldana at gmail dot com or PM's.

Trikster Thief fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 17, 2012

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've already gotten a few emails about my companies job posting!

Just to add some more information for everyone:

1) We're not interested in remote agents. Unless you have lots of VOIP or Asterisk experience, we wouldn't really have any use for a remote agent for our financial clients. Sorry

2) We're really interested in someone with Adtran experience. it's not a requirement, but you have to know something about networking.
Since I have your job posting linked to this post, would you mind editing that post with this information?

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
TANDBERG seems to be constantly hiring. We posted gains in the 4Q 2008 and unlike a lot of places have not fired anybody.

Most R&D is done in Norway and the UK but there are a number of jobs in the US, Asia and across Europe. We also own another software house in the UK called Codian.

Don't contact me about jobs though, I don't mind providing more info about the company etc if you do contact me. Go here for jobs in the US, here for Europe, here for Asia and here for Codian UK positions.

The R&D positions in Norway are quite sought after and the place has a reputation for looking after its staff very well.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snadsnad
Dec 31, 2002
My experience: Graduated December 05 from The Ohio State University: Fisher College of Business with a BSBA specializing in MIS. Started as an intern at my current company in June 2004 as help desk grunt. Got moved to EDI in March of 05. Became the network administrator in March 2006 working extensively with Cisco routers/switches/firewalls. Drew the short straw to manage 24 brand new RHEL4 servers in June 2006. Only notable cert is a CCNA and I'm 3/5 of the way to my CCSP. Studying for CCNP now.
What I'm looking for: Strictly networking and/or information security. Ideally I'd wind up being some sort of engineer/analyst.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk and anything related to programming.
Where I live: Columbus, OH
Where I'm looking: Columbus, OH but my lease is up in June and I'm considering anywhere in the US.
When I can start: If it is in Columbus, OH I just need to give two weeks notice. If anywhere else, July.
Requirements: Full-time, relocation fees would be nice, benefits, competitive salary, a more open/progressive work environment, reasonable vacation time, possible flex-hours or work from home now and then, and to be surrounded by co-workers as good as I am or better.
Can be reached via: PM or grumbles [dot] 2 [at] gmail [dot] com

snadsnad fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 1, 2009