Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
My Experience: 3 months as a Test Software Engineer - I've been testing a PACS system. I'm cool with the job, not cool with the pay. Graduated with a BA in May 2008, with a minor in Comp Sci. Experience with C++, Java, OpenGL, Perl, Visual Basic, Windows Server 2003, making apps UAC compliant, DICOM headers, Winrunner, VMWare...
What I'm looking for: IT/entry-level software development/QA/anything that will pay a living wage.
What I'm NOT Looking For: Helpdesk, part-time employment, making less than the median pay for the area your company is located.
Where I Live: NY area.
Where I'm Looking: Places where English is primarily spoken.
When I Can Start: Anytime.
Requirements: Full Time.
Can Be Reached Via: PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinghado
Mar 22, 2006
Its all good, radgie.
Network Contractor so what the hell:

My Experience: 7+ years designing, implementing and supporting Microsoft and Cisco networking technologies.

Microsoft stuff: ADS migrations (from novell, NT, 2000), and support, Exchange 2003/2007 migrations (From Notes & NT/2000 Exchange) and support, experience with ISA, RRAS, IAS, IIS, WSUS, and group policy. Mostly SME with some Enterprise experience.

Cisco Stuff: LAN/WAN implementations, various IGP's & BGP, MPLS, QoS and some exposure to VOIP (currently working on the largest VOIP implementation in Europe). Experience with large range of kit from 1700's to 12000's (Telco), including Catalyst 3700's, 4000's and 6500's. Not much design experience (LAN only), plenty of support and implementation experience ranging from SME to ISP.

Also have expereince working with Nortel, Juniper, and Sonicawall firewalls.

Currently hold MCSA and CCNA (studying towards CCNP)

What I'm looking for: Hands on Networking, ideally and opportunity to gain more design expereince, happy doing the occasional Microsoft stuff but would prefer a focus on the routing/switching/firewall side of things. Contracts preffered but open to permnent is good rates/conditions.

What I'm NOT Looking For: Helpdesk, junior positions offering low rates and "career advancement"
Where I Live: UK - Northern England
Where I'm Looking: Perminant UK North, Contracts UK wide - possibly Europe.
When I Can Start: One month's notice
Requirements: Full Time.
Can Be Reached Via: PM.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
My experience: 7+ years Linux/MacOS/Windows PC Support and Desktop Administration, 3+ years Windows/Linux/Alpha Tru64 Server Administration, CT State Certified IT Analyst and SysAdmin.
What I'm looking for: Infrastructure/Systems Administrator position, preferably focused process/performance optimization, best-practice initiatives, security
What I'm NOT looking for: A disorganized corporate disaster area - please, just give me a stable chain of command I can trust in.
Where I live: Between Norwich, CT and Worcester, MA (planning on relocating)
Where I'm looking: New Hampshire, Eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut
When I can start: ASAP, given two/three weeks notice to current employer
Requirements: Health Insurance, pay better than $45k/yr
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, steppo /at\ ct.metrocast.net, AIM: DrSteppo

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

My experience: 2 years of professional software development, used C++, C, Perl. Mainly C++ in conjunction with Boost, OpenGL, and Qt. BS in computer science, and minor in math.
What I'm looking for: To work with a team with strong software design skills, great development practices. A place where I can learn from great developers. I do not care about the particulars of language choice or technology as long as the team is committed to writing great software.
What I'm NOT looking for: A workplace that treats developers like replaceable cogs.
Where I live: Dallas, TX
Where I'm looking: Dallas, TX area
When I can start: 2 weeks after I give my current employer notice.
Requirements: Health insurance, 401k, more than 2 weeks vacation.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, me at clifhouck.com

Resume can be found at: http://clifhouck.com/files/ClifHouckResume.pdf

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Who we are: ArenaNet http://www.arena.net/
Where we are: Bellevue, WA
Job title: Programmers (in a variety of fields)!

Requirements: Pretty much a few years experience in C++, preferably in the game industry. See the website for the real details.

Benefits: No cubes, no closed doors, amazing co-workers (we're all pretty serious gamers, PS3, 360, PC, Board games, you name it.)

Information: http://www.plaync.com/us/jobs/jobs_arenanet.php

I know it's kind of lame to give you such vague details and only give you a link to the Jobs site, but our in-house recruiter just let us all know to share the link with people, since we're pretty serious in finding some good programmers to join the team. If you want to know more about the environment or what it's like to work here, just drop me a PM, or if you want me to look over your resume if you're not sure which job to apply for or something, send me a PM and I'll take a look.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt
My experience: 8+ months internship experience with a major grocery chain's corporate IT. Travelled all over the midwest during the summer, performing workstation installations, Windows Server and Exchange Server updates, worked with Active Directory, did software updates on Windows Mobile devices, and installed new Dell and Motorola switches. Also dealt with all the headaches/problems that came with it... all while being hundreds of miles away from the corporate office.

When school resumed, I was invited to continue working with the company remotely by doing help desk support for new inventory software rollout. I stayed on with the company through the winter break, where I again travelled to stores and performed further software updates.

During the school year, I work for the university's computer center and work with departments, faculty, staff, and students on recommending computer systems to meet their needs from either Dell or Apple. This is my fourth semester at my current job. We refer most support requests to the support center, but try to assist customers with computer problems whenever possible.

I graduate in May 2009 with a B.S. in Management Information Systems from Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa -- the birthplace of the digital computer.

What I'm looking for: An entry-level IT position somewhere in the midwest dealing with IT infrastructure... systems administrator would be an appealing position. I'm really interested in getting my foot in the door and going from there.

What I'm NOT looking for: Writing hard-core code. If I had wanted to write code for a living, I would've majored in Computer Science. I have a solid understanding of object-oriented programming principles and the systems development life cycle, but my expertise is not with in-depth programming.

Where I live: Ames, IA... near Des Moines, IA.

Where I'm looking: I'm willing to relocate anywhere in the midwest... Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities... etc.

When I can start: Right after graduation. I graduate with my degree on May 9th, 2009. So the soonest I could start would probably be between May 11th and May 18th, 2009, depending on where the job is located.

Requirements: Benefits (insurance, etc.) are a must. Of course, reasonable pay would be considered important too.

Can be reached via: I'd prefer email: adambrewer@gmail.com

PIZZA
Jun 22, 2004
Small freelance gig alert!

Who we are: A dude
Where we are: Minneapolis/St. Paul area
Job title: Tutor (I guess?)
Requirements: Knowledge and experience in implementing just about any aspect of Windows Server 2003. Know your way around a WRT54G. Be able to explain things, don't be a spaz or a low-talker. Maybe know things about web design also.

Benefits: If you're like me, you'll probably have fun doing it. You'll probably make a friend :buddy:. Oh, and I'm paying, too.

Information: I just moved to the twin cities in January (my fiancee is from here), and i'm looking for someone to spend a few hours (maybe less) helping me with some things. I'm trying to go from a simple, workgroup based, wireless home network to a domain based one with a server running the show.

I already understand the technology decently well but it's all pretty new to me and I would like to have someone on hand to answer a lot of questions and prevent me from ruining everything while I set it all up. The hardware is all pretty much ready to go, so you'll basically be teaching someone how to add a bunch of server roles, make the router cooperate, possibly add a second WRT54G as a bridge, configure the workstations (XP, Vista, 7, MacOS10.4), and then give some advice on administrating the whole thing. If there's time, I might want to throw a VM or two into the mix.

I'm doing this because I'm generally very adept at supporting individual systems but have no experience with anything business-related and would like to set up something from which I can train myself. Also, I'm unemployed and have a lot of time on my hands.

I am currently job-searching and alas, don't have much money, but it is worth a lot to me, and I can afford to pay $15/hr. Beer/snacks will be provided, and since I'm not able to offer what this is probably really worth (am I?) I'm totally willing to do you a favor of a similar magnitude at some point.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Position was filled! Thanks anyway. :)

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 10, 2009

stewdiny
Mar 16, 2004
Found a network engineering position, no longer looking for work.

stewdiny fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 11, 2009

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
My experience: I graduated with Bachelors degree in 2004 from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where I minored in Computer Science. I have no offical job titles that reflect my IT experience; however, at the last 2 companies I worked at I provided heavy IT support and maintenance. I rebuilt servers and desktops, provided general support, and did formats, cleans, virus wipes, and light networking duties. I have a small business building websites, designing graphics, and building computers. I'm a full-time pilot who has been un-employed since August 2008. I'm multi-talented, flexible, and reliable.

What I'm looking for: Any type of IT work especially if it is contract work which I can do from home.
What I'm NOT looking for: I'm not willing to move, so barring that anything goes.
Where I live: Charlotte, NC
Where I'm looking: Charlotte, Denver, Statesville, Huntersville, NC
When I can start: 2/27/09 (I have 3 site deadlines until then)
Requirements: Needs to pay more than $25,000yr gross
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, simcole@gmail.com I forward my other emails to this account.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

PIZZA posted:

I am currently job-searching

Unreleated to the meat of your post, if you're still looking in the mpls/st paul area and don't mind call center help deskery, send me an email through my forum profile.

PIZZA
Jun 22, 2004

chrisf posted:

Unreleated to the meat of your post, if you're still looking in the mpls/st paul area and don't mind call center help deskery, send me an email through my forum profile.

It would seem that "the email function has been disabled by the administrator" at the moment. The idea may be a shock to many posting in this thread, but helpdeskery sounds excellent to me! PM me or try the email address I don't mind posting, djaldrid@yahoo.com

Thanks!

asdlkfians
Feb 24, 2009
My experience: I have a 3 year deploma (Information Systems Technology) and am currently taking a 4 year degree (Computer Information systems). My most recient employment was for Microsoft doing active directory administration and exchange 2007/2010 integration with Office Communication Serv(er/ices).

edit: oh, and I'm an MCP and have some CCNA exams done.

What I'm looking for: Any type of IT work.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk/user support. (I don't mind training, but I don't want to do reactive support).
Where I live: Kelowna, BC, Canada or Winnipeg, MB, Canada (moving intermittently back and forth)
Where I'm looking: Really anywhere in Canada. Anywhere in the US/wherever if you can get me a green card/visa/what ever else I'd need.
When I can start: Negotiable. Ideally at the end of a semester, but if you need something done, you need something done.
Requirements: Needs to pay more than $40,000yr (CAD) gross
Can be reached via: PM, email

<--begin crawler address hiding:-------
email address prefix: chris.kluka
email address suffix: asdlkf.net
email address syntax: <prefix>@<suffix>
----------end crawler address hiding-->

-- Chris Kluka

asdlkfians fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 24, 2009

OMGLOLetcetc
Feb 13, 2008
Victim Of The '08 Account Hijackings :(
Found a job x2!

OMGLOLetcetc fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 11, 2009

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

asdlkfians posted:

My experience: I have a 3 year deploma (Information Systems Technology) and am currently taking a 4 year degree (Computer Information systems). My most recient employment was for Microsoft doing active directory administration and exchange 2007/2010 integration with Office Communication Serv(er/ices).

edit: oh, and I'm an MCP and have some CCNA exams done.

What I'm looking for: Any type of IT work.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk/user support. (I don't mind training, but I don't want to do reactive support).
Where I live: Kelowna, BC, Canada or Winnipeg, MB, Canada (moving intermittently back and forth)
Where I'm looking: Really anywhere in Canada. Anywhere in the US/wherever if you can get me a green card/visa/what ever else I'd need.
When I can start: Negotiable. Ideally at the end of a semester, but if you need something done, you need something done.
Requirements: Needs to pay more than $40,000yr (CAD) gross
Can be reached via: PM, email

<--begin crawler address hiding:-------
email address prefix: chris.kluka
email address suffix: asdlkf.net
email address syntax: <prefix>@<suffix>
----------end crawler address hiding-->

-- Chris Kluka

No offense but you should run that by spell check before you do anything. Unless of course English isn't your first language in which you have some sort of excuse.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Closed.

Namlemez fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 20, 2012

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
My experience: 9+ years in the IT field as various levels of System and Network Administration - Mainly Win 2003, some RHEL, some Cisco (Emphasis on ASA 5500 series), 4+ years in IT Audit / Compliance / Security - Experience with DoD Information Assurance processes, PCI-DSS and Web Application Security.
CISSP as of May 2007
DoD Secret as of May 2008
What I'm looking for: Contracting jobs for IT Security / Compliance - I prefer 1099 or Corp to Corp gigs
What I'm NOT looking for: I'll listen to anything really
Where I live: Orlando, FL
Where I'm looking: Internationally - Prefer telecommute / travel to relocation
When I can start: Depending on the scale can be from immediately to 3 weeks
Requirements: Negotiable
Can be reached via: PM, Nystral@gmail.com

Basically my first contracting gig is running out and I like being my own boss, but not sure how to jump start my freelancing career. Why not look to Goons to assist?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

My Situation: Company just laid off a large chunk of people, to the point where those of us remaining are scared this is the beginning of the end. I am looking to see if there are any jobs that are very attractive to me before I get to the point of being desperate for a job after having been laid off.

My Experience: 10 years in Network Monitoring/Systems Administration. Background with Linux/Unix administration, Cisco administration/troubleshooting, and Perl scripting. Also have working knowledge of F5 Networks Big-IP, and Citrix Netscaler loadbalancers. My current position has me as "Senior NOC Engineer", but that entails everything from network monitoring and troubleshooting to writing Perl scripts to support junior NOC engineers with day to day tasks, as well as more involved projects like writing a whole network monitoring system in Perl.

What I'm looking for: I would like to move more into the Systems/Tools Engineering side of things. I enjoy programming much more than day to day maintenance, but I will take whatever. A job that offered any type of telecommuting options would be a big plus, as well as 4 or fewer day work weeks.

What I'm NOT looking for: Junior type positions, help desk, answering phones, tier 1 support, etc.

Where I'm looking: Massachusetts. Boston, Springfield, Worcester, wherever. I live in Worcester, which makes me central to just about everything.

Requirements: Benefits (health really), 401k would be a plus

Can be reached via: PM or david.gates at gmail

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Who are we?
We're a government/DoD contractor providing professional IT services.

Where are we?
This job location is in Burlington/Lexington MA at Hanscom AFB.

What are we looking for?
Two strong second level phone/remote help desk/desktop support techs. CompTIA A+ required, Security+ desired. Solid knowledge of AD, WinXP/Vista, MS Office 2007, Blackberry, network and hardware troubleshooting. Looking for good interpersonal and organization skills. You will often be dealing with clients directly. Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance is required. Ability to lift and carry hardware up to 50 pounds required.

- Not looking for remote agents.

When can I start?
If you're already holding a clearance, nearly immediately. Otherwise, background investigation and drug testing will hold you up for a week or two.

Contact?
PM me or email bill at imaginetworks d0t c0m with what you can bring to the job and we'll see if you're a good fit.

UPDATE - Two existing openings have been filled. Non-Goon, (1 was former military). Another position is planned - pending government award of a contract. I am not hiring manager for the planned position, but I can get your resume to the manager who will do the hiring when it gets the green light.

Imaginos fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 12, 2009

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Imaginos posted:

When can I start?
If you're already holding a clearance, nearly immediately. Otherwise, background investigation and drug testing will hold you up for a week or two.
So is this how civilians with no clearance get clearance? I've seen a lot of pretty nice looking jobs in the past that I've had to pass up because they were government work and required a certain clearance level.

Also, we're up to 15 jobs posted (would be 16 but one has been filled). Keep it up!

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

brc64 posted:

So is this how civilians with no clearance get clearance? I've seen a lot of pretty nice looking jobs in the past that I've had to pass up because they were government work and required a certain clearance level.

Also, we're up to 15 jobs posted (would be 16 but one has been filled). Keep it up!

I'm also curious about this for similar reasons. Security clearance would widen my job prospects significantly, being near a full-size Army base and an Air Force base that are fairly consistent employers. The Googling I've done on the subject has been inconclusive at best, and most of it seems to suggest that for a civilian to get security clearance you have to be selected for a job that requires security clearance, and it seems like you'd be fighting an uphill battle for that at best.

Is there more that I'm missing?

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Midelne posted:

I'm also curious about this for similar reasons. Security clearance would widen my job prospects significantly, being near a full-size Army base and an Air Force base that are fairly consistent employers. The Googling I've done on the subject has been inconclusive at best, and most of it seems to suggest that for a civilian to get security clearance you have to be selected for a job that requires security clearance, and it seems like you'd be fighting an uphill battle for that at best.

Is there more that I'm missing?

Not really, the easiest ways are to know someone doing the hiring and able to get you in, start a uncleared job and the transfer over to a job requiring clearance, join the Military, or get lucky and have a great resume and skill set but only lacking clearance.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

My Situation: Just been informed that keeping me on salary is too expensive in the present climate since clients are now hanging onto their money like grim death and mucking up our cashflow goddammit.

My Experience: 8 years of working for a tech support company that supported small businesses with networks ranging from 2 workgrouped computers to Windows server-based domains. Focused on all flavours of Windows (mostly Server 2003 and XP Pro ATM) but I can get Macs connected to a network and talking to Exchange Server and such. I don't have any particular speciality; I'd just go out and fix whatever went wrong or whatever was being complained about with brain, Google and manufacturers' helplines. Desktop support too; I'm apparently pretty good about explaining things to users in terms they understand without making them feel like idiots.

What I'm looking for: Pretty much the same would be nice; I like the variety, I like making things work again and I'm good at it.

What I'm NOT looking for: Good question. I need work and I'm not sure how picky I can afford to be, so I'll revise this as I learn.

Where I'm looking: I live in SE London (20 minutes from London Bridge by train) and don't want to sell up and move, so somewhere in commuting range.

Requirements: Again, to be revised as I learn about what's on offer and what I can expect.

Can be reached via: PM or fortean at gmail

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
My Situation: Stuck in a city where having internet means you're weird, no cash to relocate.

My experience: 5+ years various development work with Perl, PHP on websites and whatever project comes to my head, when bored i do stuff like this: http://dwarvis.googlecode.com/ ; 5+ years of system administrator ; 3+ years of customer support in various MMOs
What I'm looking for: Any kind of telecommute job with at least regular pay
Where I live: Stralsund, Germany
Where I'm looking: Internet
When I can start: Anytime
Requirements: Telecommute
Can be reached via: walde.christian@googlemail.com, IM data in profile

Right now I'm just looking for any kind of solid IT job. I'm not looking for high pay, but simply regular since I'm pretty comfortable living on a shoestring budget anyhow.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 4, 2009

adept
Mar 14, 2002
PM BBQ for a new title.

brc64 posted:

A couple years ago I lost my job in Credit Union software. I was looking all over the place for a new gig, and I found a company hiring ~10 software developers and systems administrators to work at Hill Air Force Base here in Utah as contractors. The job required "Ability to obtain top secret clearance" since it was in one of the DISA's datacenter buildings and the entire building requires that sort of clearance (on top of being on a highly secured AFB).

When I got into the interviews, I actually asked them outright, "what kind of a disadvantage am I facing against these other guys? It sounds like they all currently work on base and currently have a clearance." It was a "hiring fair" at a hotel because this company did not actually have a branch in Utah, so the competition was in the lobby. The other applicants were quite surprised that anybody even responds to the token newspaper ad-they pretty much thought the job was going to be given to whomever ditched the other contracting firm working on another project in the same building at Hill AFB, and they were all out on lunch from Hill AFB.

The interviewer told me that he was genuinely interested in finding very good contracting employees and that would be more important than whether I had a clearance currently. He also told me that it was only a cost of around $3000 to get me a clearance, and they were hiring for a pretty senior position which made that minor. This particular interviewer was also an retired air force major who told me that they wouldn't be discriminating against me for my hair cut these days either as long as I could do the job. I had a serious financial systems background, and it ended up that behind all that federal contracting secrecy and work "on base" and security clearances, they wanted work done on the next generation of IRS eFile forms for business and international business taxes (I only found this out when they offered me the job). I also wonder if I got a job offer because I have a decent security background, probably better than the other applicants. Probably didn't hurt that I could bullshit with the interviewers about 30year old mainframe technologies used exclusively in the financial industry either (Interviewers like to talk about what they have seen and where they have been sometimes, and this particular interviewer was an old guy executive like that, he had 20yrs on the air force major).

I accepted the job offer and they told me to show up in two weeks. Then my wife and I drove to mexico and sat on the beach for a week. When I got back I had a bunch of voicemails with somebody trying to get ahold of me and start processing my clearance stuff, then finally a voicemail saying they moved on to another candidate. At the time, it was kinda devastating and it sucked that I didn't get the clearance, it probably does open job opportunities. I honestly think the company liked me but they probably found somebody that would be cheaper to hire given a solid week to think about it--I got tons of job offers but very few companies were willing to pay what I required. It ended up being an okay thing, I found a job at a much more stable corporation with the same pay and 40mins closer to my house within 2 months. And sometimes I get to work with world class military surveillance technology at my new job, probably more exciting than the IRS gig I had lined up.

adept fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 6, 2009

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

adept posted:

He also told me that it was only a cost of around $3000 to get me a clearance

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but from everything that I've heard they cost much, much more that 3 grand. Unless its a confidential which isn't more than a criminal and background/credit check.

From what I've heard it can cost anywhere from 30-150k (edit...looked this up, from what i can find on the internet its more like 4000-20,000 depending on circumstances, I guess word of mouth at work isn't worth much) to get the clearance through (it's a sometimes year long process) I could be wrong on this but that's the word from my employer.

Anyways, If you can get a TS clearance or at least Secret clearance with a job take it. It'll open a lot of opportunities should you ever want to change jobs in the future. They are usually good for a few years.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 6, 2009

LordKain
Oct 8, 2006

As far as security clearances go, from what I've read you cannot get one on your own. It's pretty much a bitch to get because you need the clearance for a job but in order to get the clearance you need to be employed by a company willing to pay for you to get it, which are usually the same companies you are trying to work for. That, or join the military heh

Bravo1
Feb 19, 2009
My Situation: College student working towards a BS in Computer Science.

My Experience: I haven't been able to break in to the field work-wise. Been studying data structures, computer organization, Ada, and C++.

What I'm looking for: A summer internship with a programming project or research project. Something to gain some experience and have a great time learning. Paid or unpaid is fine, as long as expenses are paid for housing/travel if it isn't in my area.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything longer than 3 months.

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the greater Seattle area as far north as Bellingham (WA), or paid travel/housing for the extent of the internship.

Requirements: Only that it applies to computer science!

Can be reached via: smithm59@cc.wwu.edu

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
redacted.

a cat fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 8, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 3, 2009

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

edited out by request
Finally an opening comes along in the general area I'm looking (still prefer Dallas, but I won't be picky), and it's programming! Bah! Added to the first post.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 17, 2009

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
I updated my post to reflect a new job-site (from city to suburbs), could you change that in the OP?

Also, I have to say I'm disappointed with the response rate. We're in a depression with crazy unemployment and only two goons have PM'd me? :confused:

hypatia
Dec 12, 2004
I work at a large computer security vendor. Well, a small part of it, and I'm only posting positions within the unit I work for.

We're looking for a couple of positions in Gloucester, England (possibly also Toronto, Canada)

- architect for the malware team. this is a pretty specialized and senior position that requires decade+ antivirus/antimalware experience as well as deep industry knowledge, but it's really neat. if you know your poo poo about this industry or know someone who does.

- dev manager for the malware dev team. this is a much more generic position. you should probably know c++ and perl, ISP experience a plus, agile methods, design patterns, yadda yadda.

Toronto-centric postings:

- database QA person for MSSQL
- a couple of software engineers; we need a variety of things like C# and perl. one of the jobs is an engineering automation job if you like scripting more than software eng.

DM me your email address if you're interested and I'll send links to the postings, or email leigh at (my username) dot ca

hypatia fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 11, 2009

Lucid Smog
Dec 13, 2004
Easily understood air pollution.
Just to comment a bit more on the security clearance questions:

You cannot get a security clearance yourself. You also cannot hold one indefinitely without a reason to have it. If you needed it and then you quit/move to a job that doesn't require it, you will lose it after some "grace period" generally.

To get a clearance requires a "sponsor" which is some company (or the government itself) who are doing work that has been deemed worthy of such a thing. If it's a company, the company is required to foot the bill to get you a clearance. If it's the government, they don't care but they (we all are) paying for it too. Joining the military is a way to get a SECRET clearance pretty easily. If you do intelligence work or something else requiring access to something higher, you will be put in for a TOP SECRET access.

The costs associated with getting a security clearance can vary wildly depending on your personal history. If you want to see a form you will be commonly required to fill out look at OPM form SF-86: http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf. This is a very common "entry point" for getting a security clearance (at least for a TOP SECRET, I suspect a SECRET clearance is something much less intrusive).

Cost and time to get a clearance are also directly correlated to the type of clearance required. A SECRET clearance can usually be had pretty quickly as long as you don't have a felony record and aren't on some FBI watch list. A TOP SECRET or TOP SECRET SCI clearance could take anywhere from a couple of months to a year (or more) to come through. If you are employed by a company, that means they have to put you on the payroll to get you processed for the clearance and then pay you to sit around not doing what they hired you for until you get said clearance. You can see where this is going...

My guess is that most job postings that say they require an active clearance means "we're not going to pay to get you a clearance and for you to wait around for it". You could always apply and see what happens though!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hypatia posted:

I work at a large computer security vendor. Well, a small part of it, and I'm only posting positions within the unit I work for.

We're looking for a couple of positions in Gloucester, England (possibly also Toronto, Canada)

- architect for the malware team. this is a pretty specialized and senior position that requires decade+ antivirus/antimalware experience as well as deep industry knowledge, but it's really neat. if you know your poo poo about this industry or know someone who does.

- dev manager for the malware dev team. this is a much more generic position. you should probably know c++ and perl, ISP experience a plus, agile methods, design patterns, yadda yadda.

Toronto-centric postings:

- database QA person for MSSQL
- a couple of software engineers; we need a variety of things like C# and perl. one of the jobs is an engineering automation job if you like scripting more than software eng.

DM me your email address if you're interested and I'll send links to the postings.

Do you perhaps have a disposable email address for non-plats?

hypatia
Dec 12, 2004

Arachnamus posted:

Do you perhaps have a disposable email address for non-plats?

I'm a dork, forgot about that. edited above to add.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

jstirrell posted:

My Experience: No relevant work experience really. As for non-relevant work I've done everything from telemarketing to restaurant and warehouse work. I have a decent grasp of python and Java, and I'm starting to familiarize myself with C++. I'm ok with html/CSS.

What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything I can learn from. I will work for cheap and strongly consider working for free on an interesting project.

Where I'm looking: My travel is restricted to Rhode Island, so I can only actually physically show up to a place there, but I'd be willing telecommute or do stuff online.

Contact jjttjj@gmail.com or PM me.

I'm not trying to be smug but consider working on a name brand open source project. Pick something like Apache/Firefox/MySQL or something and just help close up bugs.

Download the source, look at the list of open bugs, keep reading the source code and docs till you think you know whats wrong and submit a patch. If the docs dont match the source code send a patch for them.

From a hiring point of view I love people who have done that sort of stuff because it means they are a) smart enough to be given a huge source tree and go off and read it till they understand it, and b) are actually interested in programming to the point they do it in their spare time, as those people are generally good programmers.

Do this while you're at uni for a few years and stick it on your CV. Be sure to pick a big project that most people will recognize. Expect it to take you 3-6 months before you can do anything of use. You will learn a lot, and once you submit a few good patches the developers are usually happy to spend time explaining things.

Inphinity
Sep 21, 2003

My experience: 7 years supporting all IT requirements for a broad range of small-medium enterprise clients (<75 users) using predominantly Windows-based environments, with a little Unix/Linux/MacOS thrown in. BSc majoring in Compsci.
What I'm looking for: Full time, part time, or contract work preferably in a server administration or network management / planning capacity. Also interested in project management roles, or web development positions.
What I'm NOT looking for: Level 1 Helpdesk, Desktop support, that sort of boring, unchallenging crap. A little of either in a role is OK, but it better be only a little.
Where I live: Auckland, NZ
Where I'm looking: Will consider pretty much anywhere in New Zealand or Australia.
When I can start: Depending on possible relocation requirements, approx 1 months notice.
Requirements: Positive environment. Flexible work hours or remote work possibilities would be ideal but not a necessity.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, wedgeystyk@hotmail.com

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

unixbeard posted:

I'm not trying to be smug but consider working on a name brand open source project. Pick something like Apache/Firefox/MySQL or something and just help close up bugs.

Any goons with interest in building their resume/soul by contributing to Apache [HTTP Server] can drop me a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
Crossposted from SA Mart:

Looking for web design expert in London area for innovative project

I have some innovative website design ideas that require some crazy programming skills that I don't have, so I am looking for someone to collaborate with me. I can do research, marketing, graphics, sample data, etc, just no way I could learn all the programming knowledge that some of you guys have sitting there unused.

The ideas have so far been developed as an improved website for a major poker magazine, which the editor liked very much, but that the publisher rejected as the magazine only has two IT personnel so they would have been unable to implement it, but the unique design elements can be adapted for a range of website purposes.

I'm obviously not going to tell everyone here the specifics, I would like to talk them through in person, but here are some general things you must be able to make:

Objects that can be dragged and dropped by website users resulting in database alteration.
Interactive mini-programs (can probably be done in flash).
Possibly creation of user-side program installation.

When developed, the designs can either be sold to other companies or used as templates to base commissioned websites around.

I would prefer someone in London so we can discuss everything in person. I have no capital, so this is something that we will have to work on while doing other things for income, at least until it is ready to be sold.

If you think you may be able to collaborate, please e-mail me at tmpsotw@hotmail.com.
Please make sure you can do at least the three things specified above!