Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
My experience: ~2 years working for a company here in NY, went from doing grunt work to Software Engineer in title before my dept. got scrapped during a downsize. I've got a small contribution that made it all the way to the Django 1.8 release (woo!), I've built a moderately complex web app / desktop app combo project on my own, and for the past ~four months have been doing Python/Django work professionally doing some fairly basic CRUD stuff for a few internal apps. I was working on building a thermometer/humidity sensor on a rpi and hooking that into some internal reporting stuff (for science) when my dept. dissolved (which sucks, because it was fun).

Buzzword soup: Python/Django/Django Rest Framework/HTML/CSS/SASS/Git/Linux/postgres/nginx/gunicorn/elasticsearch/celery/probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

What I'm looking for: A Jr. role doing Python/Django stuff is probably what I am best prepared for. I have some experience, but not a ton, and I feel like I'd probably still perform best in that kind of a role. Willing to learn other languages/break out of my comfort zone and I'm pretty good at consulting SO/docs/coworkers in roughly that order at this point in my life so bring it ooonnnnnn.

What I'm NOT looking for: Fights, the holy grail, etc.

Where I live: Brooklyn, NY

Where I'm looking: NY, SF, Stockholm, Oslo, Berlin, Dublin, you name it. I'll go anywhere interesting so long as relocation assistance is provided and speaking English in the workplace is OK.

When I can start: ASAP

Requirements: FT, health insurance, decent pay (need to kill these student loan debts).

Can be reached via: PM, or marchharesa@gmail.com - I'll reply from my actual email address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Peristalsis posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes.

We're going to try to hire a new Ruby on Rails developer in the next month or so, and I'm not sure what resources to suggest to my boss to use in advertising the job. We're a unit in a public university, so nobody gets rich here, but the benefits are pretty good, and the working conditions are nice. We think we're probably able to pay for a few ads, and I'll put links to it in any free site I can find. We need someone with web development experience, preferably with RoR, and concomitant database knowledge.

For the free stuff, I'll put a link in the SA tech jobs thread and another one in the local Rails meetup group. I'll contact a couple of local schools' career centers, and I'm pushing to have the job advertised in our organizations's newsletter and social media sites. I've always had the impression that Craigslist isn't appropriate for serious career-type job placement, but I can be convinced otherwise.

For the paid sites, I assume Monster.com is the standard you have to use, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I keep reading that Indeed and Dice are big players, but I've never heard of anyone I know using them. LinkedIn is pretty popular I guess, and StackOverflow has job ads that will (potentially) hit tons of developers, but I'm not sure if they're really major players in job placement. I mean, I know people have LinkedIn profiles to be recruited, but I'm not sure how many people use it to search job listings (I don't have an account there, so I'm not sure how it works).

There are some locally-oriented job sites, but their web sites didn't look too impressive, so I didn't really consider them seriously.

So, what I'm wondering is if I've really missed the boat in either category, and which pay sites really work. We've had spotty luck attracting candidates in the past (probably because the pay scale doesn't thrill anybody), so we'd like to make a real effort to broaden our reach this time.

Oh, and lastly, we might need to show that we've made an effort at minority recruitment, but the diversity job sites I found looked pretty sparse and out-of-date. I suggested that we might try to contact professional organizations instead (like the Society of Women Engineers), but I'd be happy to have any other leads.

Where, roughly if you have to, are you located?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

skipdogg posted:

I don't know if this a joke or not, but this sounds miserable.

What about it sounds miserable?

e; Other than having to live long-term in Texas :ironicat:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Job Seeker

Education - Self-taught, ~6 years of undergrad mostly in architecture–but not an architect.

Experience - ~3.5 yrs of professional experience shipping Python mostly on the web, but also a bit of hardware stuff.

My first job involved mostly writing Python to interface with hardware (micrometers, sensors of many kinds, 3D printers). I additionally wrote/took ownership of some internal tools in Django/Flask that were all small-scale and never actually deployed anywhere.

At my current job I have designed and implemented a super specific and weird image diffing algorithm, helped bring our main app and infrastructure into HIPAA compliance, designed and documented our team's coding and testing standards (happy to say we have gone from literally 0% coverage of hundreds of thousands of lines of code to about 35% in a year!), co-authored the companies first service which teased all file storage/retrieval operations out of our ~8 year old Django monolith to more easily facilitate HIPAA compliance stuff, and most recently have been building a service to redact audio from calls while (slowly) working to write the first batch of functional tests to take some load off of our one poor QA employee who is now pregnant in addition to overworked.

In my spare time I've been learning some Elixir, mostly because I wanted to give functional programming a go, but also because the BEAM is cool as hell. I've been working on building a miniature robotic zen garden whose rake is controlled by Twitch chat. I've got motor control working via a raspberry pi and some stepper controllers, working now on building the chat parser in Elixir.

Where I'm looking - NYC/Brooklyn/Remote

What I'm Looking For - Super open to working remotely, have plenty of experience doing so (including with globally distributed teams). Bonus points if your company is doing something cool and/or you are NASA. Reasonably language agnostic (see below), but wouldn't mind taking a stab at doing some FP stuff professionally as long as you don't mind my taking an extra minute to get up to speed.

What I'm not looking for - Ideally I will never write a single line of Javascript at my next job. Additionally, if you are located somewhere that requires me to take PATH, NJ Transit, or Amtrak I'm going to have to decline. Been doing a 4hr commute every Monday for almost 2 years now, would like to switch it up. That said, I don't mind occasional travel. If you have an office I can go to in NYC, or are a remote shop, but a few times a year you need me to fly to CA or China or something that's no big deal.

When can I start - Julyish I suppose.

Requirements - Solid salary, a place that respects 40 hour work weeks, normal FT benefits and, most importantly, good coworkers–specifically ones who are nice and cool people (like me!).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey everyone,

My experience: Recent graduate of the Flatiron School Web Development Immersive program. 2 years experience with Ruby, Rails, JS, React, Redux, and front end/back end development.

What I'm looking for: Full time position as a junior/entry-level developer with $60k+/year and benefits.

What I'm NOT looking for:
Working in finance, or for more than 50 hours per week.

Where I live: New York, NY

Where I'm looking: NYC, tri-state area, remote, and will potentially move depending on position.

When can I start:
ASAP

Requirements:
Full-time, benefits

You should be asking for more than 60/yr in NYC, even as a fresh bootcamp grad. I know it might seem weird to walk around asking people for a ton of money when you feel like you maybe aren't worth it, but just have faith that you are!

(Not just talking out of my rear end here. I have a few friends in NYC who were bootcamp grads within the last couple of years. All of them took first jobs at or just under 100k and I don't think the market has changed.)

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2019

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
My experience: 6+ years doing mostly backend web, mostly Python/Django but w/ smattering experience elsewhere. Most recent gig was a lot of AWS stuff (Lambda, Kinesis, etc. etc.).
What I'm looking for: A job doing mostly backend stuff, I like what I like v0v.
What I'm NOT looking for: I would prefer to write as little JS as possible.
Where I live: NYC
Where I'm looking: Remote or NYC (I have a bunch of remote experience)
When I can start: Today if you want.
Requirements: Normal FT stuff - health, dental, 401k match would be nice, reasonable vacation policy and not working weekends :).
Can be reached via: PM or reply and ask me for my email address if you'd like. Resume and ample references on request~

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

luminalflux posted:

Who we are: Patreon.

What we do: We're a membership platform for getting creators paid. You've probably heard of us from podcasters, youtubers but we are here to get all kinds of creators paid to the point where we have bars and restaurants looking to survive via funding from their patrons.

Where we are: San Francisco (HQ), NYC, Dublin, Porto, Omaha.

Current open positions on our job page (Mostly senior, mostly eningeering in Dublin and SF). I'm on the SRE team and I've been here for almost 2 years, I love talking about what I do.

Any chance for remote (or "remote" from the NY office?) for any of the eng roles?

\/ Cool, if it does and you remember feel free to pm me. I've got the experience to match the role and I like Patreon as a service.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 2, 2020

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Well that's one way to never ever hire anyone reasonable, wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I don't want to barge in like a contrarian dickhead but I am confused because I keep hearing about competent-seeming people applying to thousands of jobs with abysmal hitrates and it doesn't line up with my experience or the experience of peers I speak to.

Concretely, I had no trouble at all getting interviews 9 months ago. I have about 10 years experience on my resume and would consider myself below average compared to the people I've worked with in the past. Looking at my spreadsheet, I sent out about 20 carefully-selected applications before getting my current job and saw about a 20% interview hit-rate. All interviews went through final rounds, but of those I only received offers from my current job and one other (so 50% success rate, which is lucky for me over my lifetime but small sample here as current job was an absolute perfect fit so I stopped interviewing).

Zero of my applications were sent out via Linkedin or Monster or Indeed listings or whatever. I either reached out directly to recruiters I have relationships with or to companies via smaller job boards or their websites. None of the interviews came from my personal network and all of the jobs I picked were for senior web, FT remote, paying north of 160 w/ normal benefits.

I live in NYC and keep up with friends/former coworkers in the area and everyone is reporting similar experiences back to me over the last year or so.

I'm curious to hear what people applying to thousands of jobs and hearing nothing think the difference might be between what I've seen and heard and what they are experiencing. Is it a location thing, a strategy thing, a sector thing? Maybe some combination?