Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

zorch fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

belle of my ballz, I really do hope your startup becomes publicly visible at some point.

That way I can send these posts to TechCrunch, Mashable, and Valleywag and the internet will collectively laugh at you, and your cofounder's uncle will be embarrassed into never wanting to have anything to do with you ever again.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Pretend you're a corporate recruiter for a large company. What would your first impression be if you looked at a candidate's resume, and the most recent position was with a company associated with illegal P2P file-sharing and related lawsuits?

You'd probably stand out as interesting, I'd book you for an interview, and then I'd probably throw you some ethics related curve balls and see how you handled them. Your past position probably wouldn't be detrimental to how you were evaluated.

Then again, I have no background with corporations, or even hiring anyone for that matter, so there's that.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

hippieman posted:

I have discovered that there are no Ruby developers in Manhattan.

No kidding, I have '< 1 year Ruby/RoR' listed on my resume and I probably get one recruiter a month emailing me to see if I'm interested in going up to NY to interview, or if I know any other Rails developers in the area.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

edit: nm

zorch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 2, 2010

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Our project manager left a few months ago and I'm starting to go insane.

Note: embedding images in some areas to keep this from popping up in search engines

Who We Are is a web development agency that's been around since 1998 and for awhile was stuck doing things the ways things used to be done ten years ago. (a lot of their website still reflects that but I promise you our recent clients' sites look much better -- we have a designer that was featured on Smashing Magazine and I'm pretty good at coding poo poo) Things got kind of rough after clients began asking for things like dynamic sites running on top of content management systems, mobile sites, and responsive stuff so they brought me onboard last year and I've been working on bringing them up to the level of modern leading web dev agencies' operations / practices. As a result of that we've moved to an issue tracking system and are running things on an Agile / Scrum workflow.

Where we are: Frisco, TX. We're actually technically in Little Elm right now (Frisco Jr.) but we're about to move to Frisco Square. It'll be pretty rad when that happens, I'm excited about lunch / happy hour / etc.

Job Title: Project Manager / Account Manager / Scrum Master

What we're looking for: A people person that's organized, doesn't mind dealing with clients, isn't afraid to say no to clients or sales people trying to put a wrench into our workflow, and is familiar enough with the industry / what's involved in developing projects that they can accurately estimate timetables on projects and tasks (and isn't afraid to ask if they can't make a solid estimate on their own)

What we're not looking for: Someone that refers to themselves as a 'ninja' or a 'rockstar'. A goony neckbeard that's going to say yes to everything the client asks because he/she is bad at talking to people and is disorganized to the point of losing track of projects, tasks, and timetables or forgetting to write emails.

Why you'd want to work here: The company is pretty laid back -- we have an hour lunchbreak and no sort of IT policy on our computers, we can basically use them as if they were our own personal machines. A lot of those lunch breaks end up being spent playing video games such as Diablo 3, TF2, etc. or watching Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Newsroom, or whatever else is airing at the moment. We have 'beer friday' which is kind of like a beer show and tell. We're still a small company (8 people) so you have a large impact and there's zero bureaucracy. We're backed by an investor group and there's a good chance that the company's going to grow once we're in our new offices, so if you get in on the ground floor and stick with it there's a good chance it'll pay off. Casual dress code.

We're gradually moving away from doing stuff for clients and going into developing some startups -- is one, we're working on a ReachLocal competitor as well as some other things where we can actually try things out and make cool stuff and not be beholden to clients.

Pay is competitive and salaried but rarely if ever requires after-hours / weekend work. (I've only stayed late a couple of times and that was of my own volition, I wasn't pressured into doing it) Pretty good benefits package too.

PM me with your resume or email me at alex [at] [dot] com and I'll get it to the right people.

Requirements:
  • Talk to clients and organize projects -- liase between the client and the development (me) + design leads to plan out structured, feasible projects
  • Make sure projects don't scope creep, make sure that clients don't get unreasonable expectations re: features, timetables
  • Organize the projects and make sure that we're hitting deadlines, projects are on track, so on and so forth.
  • Make sure all tasks are in JIRA, assigned to the proper people, prioritized, and have deadlines / time estimates set
  • Conduct Scrum meetings, plan out sprints at the beginning of each week (1 week sprints)
  • Close out resolved tasks after verifying that they're done, QA / cross browser testing anything applicable, and updating the client
  • Be familiar enough with basic HTML / CSS / content management systems (90% of our stuff runs on Wordpress) that you're able to fill in and help out if things start piling up. If you can go above and beyond basic HTML / CSS that's fantastic.
  • We might want you to help the sales guys write proposals

Desired Skills
(this is more of a wishlist, don't be intimidated if you're not familiar with a lot of these things)
  • Some experience in the industry (software / IT works too)
  • If you've never messed with JIRA before, be sure to mention if you've dealt with something like Redmine, Basecamp, GoPlan, or any other issue / bug tracking system.
  • Linux familiarity
  • You do web related side projects / participate in FOSS (not super necessary for a project manager)
  • You spend time on design / development blogs, keep up to date with web standards and practices, what sort of features we can implement and new things we should try
  • Familiar with Wordpress, Drupal, Magento, SilverStripe (ugh), git / version control, HTML5, CSS3, responsive sites, etc.
  • You can talk our boss into sending us to SXSW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Delicious Kittens posted:

Looking for: Part-time coder/developer to design and implement a simple automated system for handling discreetly structured requests and build in additional functionality to the application over time. Job requires knowledge of coding, SQL, and the ability to manage the entire project.

Not looking for: People who want a lot of money.

Start: ASAP

Pay: Contact me. Accepting hourly rate requests. $9/hour can start immediately. Additional project completion bonus.

Notes: I think the basic requirements of the job could be completed in just a few hours. Building in additional features to the core product and providing support will provide additional earnings potential.

Pffffffft hahahahahaha

Maybe try hiring an Indian through rentacoder or odesk. Good luck!