Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

A Frosty Witch posted:

This was mine as well. Over a thousand applications with 20 years of experience, with the last 10 being in director/management, and only ended up with like 3 callbacks over the course of 7 months.

It's really bad out there :smith:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't have a masters, but I do have 9 years of experience, and I haven't even gotten a phone screen from hundreds of applications this year. I've even started applying for normal tech support stuff just to have *something*, and nothing. It's so loving bad right now.

I'm glad to hear someone else is having this experience, I have a thicc resume building datacenters from the ground up, Azure platform architecture, healthcare specific compliance stuff and if i get two calls a week from someone with a thick accent asking about a wildly unrelated opening, that's a lot. Never in my over twenty years of this career have I had a problem looking for work, and, it's been crumbs since being laid off in January.

The March Hare posted:

I don't want to barge in like a contrarian dickhead but I am confused because I keep hearing about competent-seeming people applying to thousands of jobs with abysmal hitrates and it doesn't line up with my experience or the experience of peers I speak to.

Concretely, I had no trouble at all getting interviews 9 months ago. I have about 10 years experience on my resume and would consider myself below average compared to the people I've worked with in the past. Looking at my spreadsheet, I sent out about 20 carefully-selected applications before getting my current job and saw about a 20% interview hit-rate. All interviews went through final rounds, but of those I only received offers from my current job and one other (so 50% success rate, which is lucky for me over my lifetime but small sample here as current job was an absolute perfect fit so I stopped interviewing).

Zero of my applications were sent out via Linkedin or Monster or Indeed listings or whatever. I either reached out directly to recruiters I have relationships with or to companies via smaller job boards or their websites. None of the interviews came from my personal network and all of the jobs I picked were for senior web, FT remote, paying north of 160 w/ normal benefits.

I live in NYC and keep up with friends/former coworkers in the area and everyone is reporting similar experiences back to me over the last year or so.

I'm curious to hear what people applying to thousands of jobs and hearing nothing think the difference might be between what I've seen and heard and what they are experiencing. Is it a location thing, a strategy thing, a sector thing? Maybe some combination?

Not contrarian at all! it's good to hear someones having luck - I'm also in the NYC area, been using https://www.builtinnyc.com poking around in my network, going directly to employers websites... not much luck. If you can share some of the resources you've utilizes (recruiters, smaller job boards, etc) and help out a local goon my family and I would appreciate it!

edit: cross post from the resume thread if an anonymized resume is helpful
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dA3qr7aAhkfZ2tCvF_6AtAw76vVWn-JI/view?usp=sharing

Dirty Beluga fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Gucci Loafers posted:

My experience is roughly the same as yours if a bit more identity focused but I am looking for something on the West Coast or PST. I had one interview last week, sent out over a dozen application and I hope something bits :smith:

How did you anonymize your resume?

I went thru and edited it in Word, saved as a PDF and popped on google drive!

Goonspeed, yeah it's incredibly frustrating... feel dumb for agreeing to go down with the ship at previous company since ~I've never had trouble finding work it'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnneeeeeeee~