Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

asdlkfians posted:

My experience: I have a 3 year deploma (Information Systems Technology) and am currently taking a 4 year degree (Computer Information systems). My most recient employment was for Microsoft doing active directory administration and exchange 2007/2010 integration with Office Communication Serv(er/ices).

edit: oh, and I'm an MCP and have some CCNA exams done.

What I'm looking for: Any type of IT work.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk/user support. (I don't mind training, but I don't want to do reactive support).
Where I live: Kelowna, BC, Canada or Winnipeg, MB, Canada (moving intermittently back and forth)
Where I'm looking: Really anywhere in Canada. Anywhere in the US/wherever if you can get me a green card/visa/what ever else I'd need.
When I can start: Negotiable. Ideally at the end of a semester, but if you need something done, you need something done.
Requirements: Needs to pay more than $40,000yr (CAD) gross
Can be reached via: PM, email

<--begin crawler address hiding:-------
email address prefix: chris.kluka
email address suffix: asdlkf.net
email address syntax: <prefix>@<suffix>
----------end crawler address hiding-->

-- Chris Kluka

No offense but you should run that by spell check before you do anything. Unless of course English isn't your first language in which you have some sort of excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
My experience: A little more than a year of on-site technical support via remotely and desk-side at a local hospital. I've worked with lovely proprietary hospital software such as Meditech and Allscripts/Misys. I would say I'm pretty proficient in troubleshooting both but in terms of modules, that was left to our Application support teams. I received numerous commendations from supervisors and upper-management for my ability to work well with the users and to resolve issues quickly. I've also done a lot of web design in my younger years but nothing official.
What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything really as long as the hours are flexible as I am a student attending classes. I don't mind Help Desk level I support at all considering a job is a job. Something that pays fairly well would be greatly appreciated since going to school isn't cheap as everyone would know.
What I'm NOT looking for: A strict work environment where someone isn't even allowed to crack a smile because of fear from the mighty fist of management. But then again, I don't really mind either way. Actually, a job that requires a lot of travelling and in-home support is not my cup of tea.
Where I live: Orlando, FL (Moving into my apt. in about 3-4 weeks)
Where I'm looking: As long as it's within an hour drive, I don't really mind where it is.
When I can start: About 2-3 weeks.
Requirements: My current job has no benefits at all but I work casual pool to make up for it. So benefits would be nice but not required if it is made up via a few more $$$.
Can be reached via: My email address: email.brian.jung at gmail dot com (Yes I have a lot of .s in my name because brian.jung was taken surprisingly.)

Additional information: I already have my A+ Certification and I'm currently pursuing my Network+ and from there it's going to be Microsoft certs ahoy. I got my A.S. in Computer Engineering and am going to be attending the University of Central Florida to get my B.S. in Information Systems Technology. So it wouldn't even be a problem if it was a temporary job.

EDIT: I don't know if this makes any kind of difference but I will be 21 in August and had the title of youngest employee in the I.T. department. I figured it would be a fun fact :)

Thanks for the consideration.

Cizzo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 15, 2009

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Puck42 posted:

Sorry it's OT but,

I graduated from UCF from the IST program and don't know if you know this, but they are closing that college down in 2 years and ending the program. So don't dawdle. Also take any classes with Craiger and avoid Motlagh if you can.

http://ucf-ent.pbworks.com/

That's awesome. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll do well. Thanks for the tips on the teachers. How was the coursework would you say if you don't mind me asking? Was it actually intriguing?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Hirez posted:

My experience: 5 years total of helpdesk experience 1 company -- about 3000 websites, remote UK environment as well. Baby steps style work with windows server administration tools AD/DNS/Exchange - basically stuff I figure using google. Some home windows server/network/virtualization experience.
What I'm looking for: Desktop support or junior admin. I feel comfortable enough to do a small company computer admin
What I'm NOT looking for: Help Desk. I do not want to work over the phone with end users anymore. If it's just some phone, thats ok
Where I live: Toronto
Where I'm looking: Barrie to Toronto (im right in the middle)
When I can start: January
Requirements: Health insurance, full time.
Can be reached via: PM, mike at hi-rez dot net

Did you just copy Naramyth's post?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

g3k posted:

Who are we?
A law enforcement agency. (I prefer not to say which)

Where are we?
Near Daytona Beach, Florida

What are we looking for?

• Helpdesk Technician with experience in web design. Someone with a year or two on their belt.Must have A+ (I KNOW ITS RETARDED NOTHING I CAN DO) or be able to get your A+ within the first 6 months of being hired. We would like to hire someone with web design experience, as well as helpdesk experience, but we're willing to take a straight helpdesk person.

Why work for us?

Awesome government benefits, great pay and at least two competent people working here!

I am hungry, I want to apply!

This thread, geek dot evolved at gmail dot com, if interested, contact me and I will give you further information

[edit] fixed the post to reflect the standard D:

Email sent.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Really off topic but I bet you made a pretty hefty salary...

You're basically in the same position I want to be in about 10 years.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Casull posted:

This is one hell of a long shot, since my main experience comes only with the home and friends/family (and I only have an A+, studying Net+ right now), but does anyone need an intern? I wouldn't mind doing helpdesk/cable running/basic stuff you can pass off to a newbie, and I'd be fine with doing it for low-pay/free if need be. I learn fast and I get along with everyone just fine.

vvv :shobon: San Jose.

Check with your local hospitals. Those guys will take any free help and you will learn a ton but at the same time you will also learn the hell that is Healthcare IT.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Derpes Simplex posted:

A LinkedIn group is also a way to accomplish this but I personally don't want to associate my real LinkedIn profile with SomethingAwful and I imagine most people here don't either.

I actually find that obvious jokes aside, the goons that post in this sub-forum are pretty knowledgeable and show no mercy when it comes to making GBS threads on other people.

I dig it.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

brc64 posted:

I've always thought that technical writing sounded like an interesting job, but I really don't know much about it. Do people typically have some sort of English or Journalism type degree going into something like that?

Translating Engineering jargon to dumb people jargon = not easy.

edit: Translating anything technical to everyday speak = not fun.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Bardlebee posted:

I had a question for Software Engineers. How easy is it to get into the field once you finish your degree? My wife is thinking of changing her entire career to Software Engineering because the prospects look so easy, less stress, and to make decent money. She feels she would be good at it. Also, the field she is in now (medicine) has a lot of stress that is piled on. She has invested nearly 10 years in the medical field and is worried that if she 'starts from scratch' then she may be making the wrong decision. Basically, her choices are to go through 3 to 8 years of school to become a doctor or a PA (Physician Assistant). However, both these fields are extremely competitive and difficult to get in to those schools. Or, she could pursue a Software Engineer immediately focus in 2-3 years (She has her BS already in medical), get a job quickly (this is why I came here to ask this) and get good experience to make good money, with less stress?

I'm not qualified at all to answer this but one of my relatives is a programmer for IBM and let's just say they don't really have a relaxed life. They will come home and work through the night while also receiving calls from other programmers to assist in resolving programming issues. This might only be the case because they are pretty up there but a stressful life nonetheless. They can't even have a regular vacation without bringing their work with them :|

It may be less stressful than practicing medicine but it's still stress nonetheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

skipdogg posted:

3: Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. There's a lot of money to be made, but if your chasing the :10bux: you're going to hate yourself in a few years.

Oh god, this cannot be quoted enough. Don't pursue any kind of career unless you generally have some interest in it and enjoy it. It'll just end up like a job at that point.

That and the whole thing with internships is true. I honestly think that fits into anything related to the computer field. No one trusts you to be able to do anything unless you have proof you can.