Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"We want to make sure you're appropriately beat down by capitalism before we hire you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pedestrian Xing posted:

(Also always sales, but this probably isn't the right forum)

You'd be surprised.

Joke answer - business travel thread

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

London is also hella expensive. I looked into it (for a different job).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wargames posted:

even if its half of that is advertised that is still 2x what i make now.

Go for it. Just know you probably won't be suddenly rich.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We've all seen Black Butler. We get it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wargames posted:

just hope my resume doesn't automatically go into trash like everywhere else that i apply to.

BRB - Going to set up a printer to automatically print out indeed resumes as they come in and feed them directly into a shredder.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

We have been getting a bunch of indian contractors with suspicious copypasta SEO optimized 3-10 page resumes, and when you press them on any details they just deflate

As someone who just interviewed a bunch of people for a senior developer position, I felt this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah. Programming isn't the same field as IT. Thats like asking why you would want separate job boards for engineers and metal workers

Which one is the metal worker?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is it true that basically everyone working down there ends up having sex with everyone else out of boredom? I remember reading that somewhere.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

What I'm not looking for: Total chaos. I work best when I'm able to take time to research, plan, and document my work. I struggle and burn out when I'm constantly being thrown into the middle of things. Some chaos is fine, but it should be not all the time.

:allears:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not actively looking but maybe I can get some good advice and I certainly am open to exploring options.

My Experience:
Oh boy - everything? Well over a decade in tech, mostly with Vendors / MSP / Disti. I straddle the line between tech and business and my current role can be best described as a consulting enterprise architect. I have direct experience in management, sales, presales, professional services, customer success. My current day could involve anything from writing orchestration code to running a sprint planning session to helping my customer interview other vendors to see which one would fit best in our stack (yes this happens) to running an executive briefing with my account manager or SE.

I've reported directly to CEOs; I've led teams as big as a dozen people; I've presented at ISC West; I've started and been put in charge of more than a couple greenfield departments; I've had customers threaten me with guns. If there's a customer facing role in a company, I've probably had that title at some point. I'm very comfortable wading neck deep into something nobody has done before and being the pointy end of whatever needs to get done. I can recognize when something needs an expert more than an inch deep and I'm usually pretty good about not sticking my (or my company's) dick in the trap of getting over my own skis. Basically, you can trust me to manage a relationship and getting the other party to trust me without making an rear end out of either of us. I can explain complex topics to simple people and sometimes I'm even successful!

On the technical side, my current employer is a NoSQL software vendor and my background is heavily in data monitoring/analysis/mastering, event systems integration (especially around security events, but anything really), security (both info and physical), and building systems with lots and lots of very fast storage before you could just throw money at Amazon to do it for you. But mile-wide definitely describes me well and I've touched lots and lots of things at least once.

My current customer has renewed my contract every quarter for the last 3 years straight and you need to save me from them before I lose my mind

I have a big beard and look like someone who knows extremely specific things about obscure technologies, except with more frequent bathing.

What I'm Looking For:
I want to make the jump to senior management / strategy and make real tech bro money. I want to go in and really get to discover and understand an organization's challenges and actually have the ability to fix things. My philosophy is that the company I work for is my customer - it's my job to analyze and advise and improve processes, regardless of what my title is. I love finding unique things to tackle. I've never worked for a company without creating a new role that didn't exist before I proposed it, and I'm very proud of that.

I'm comfortable talking to that completely unreasonable person you don't want to deal with. I might not be able to get them to see reason, but I will at least be able to translate their incomprehensible demands into English. I do well in situations where everything is a mess and it's a 5 alarm fire and I have to fly to LAX at 5 AM the next morning to unfuck everything. I don't prefer those situations, but I've done it a lot and I'm more than happy if I can turn them into a positive outcome.

I might be open to an architect role if it is a really good fit with a company I really like.

What I'm NOT Looking For:
I love hard technical problems but I don't want to be shoved in a windowless room to pump out code. I'm not a devops engineer and I don't want to write your product for you. I'm happy to help an engineering team understand real world requirements and make sure their plans and designs align with what customers actually need and aren't just building to a spherical cow in a vacuum.

I love assisting the sales process but I don't want to be a Sales Engineer or Account Manager again. I've done that and I want something with a bigger impact.

I love customers but I don't want to be in charge of a single one. That's what I do now and I enjoy the work but I want to help manage the forest, not water a single tree.

Where I Live:
Buffalo, NY baby! But I'm happy to travel a reasonable amount (My post history in the business travel thread has many examples of not-reasonable amounts). Please do not fly me across the ocean in coach - it's my one non-negotiable.

Where I'm Looking:
50%+ Remote unless you will make me a literal millionaire (RSOs only count if you're already public)

When I can Start:
Negotiable. I'm not in a rush to leave because I really do enjoy my company and my customer. I'm trying to figure out options for my next major career move, so I'm willing to put in the time to make sure it's right.

Requirements:
Director title at a minimum; preferably VP. 250k+ OTE (salary and bonuses, not stock unless it's Amazon or something)

Can Be Reached via:
PMs, [username]@gmail.com

Other stuff I'm looking for:
Advice! If you're in senior management, I want to hear how you made the jump and what it looked like.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 20, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't want to talk poo poo about your employer, but my SO worked for Citi as a data analyst for almost a year and it was hell. Ridiculous amounts of crunch, nothing was automated, tech debt that would make the federal government blush. And God forbid if your hand-made and ever-changing PowerPoint had the wrong font or color somewhere, you'd get to have an exec scream degrading things at you. I remember one time, she sent an email to someone asking if he would like to give feedback on a report before she submitted it and he CC'd her boss' boss' boss chewing her out for daring to send him an email because she was a little pissant analyst and he was bigshot McTooImportant. Absolutely toxic place, IMO, and the culture of that ran deep. Also, her exec would spend conference calls talking about his expensive apartment in NYC and how many housekeepers he has and did you know that the art behind him is worth 6 figures?

Now, that being said, Citi is a big place and if Kaludan says their department is nothing like that, I'd believe them, but I wanted to share that because she would literally break down in tears on the regular and the stress gave her stomach ulcers and my personal opinion is "gently caress that place forever."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Cloud Systems Administrator
St. Louis, MO (100% on-site)
TS/SCI with CI Poly (or able to obtain)
On-call
100-120k

I wish you the upmost luck filling this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Title - IT Professional 3

This job description was written by someone with the title "Bureaucrat 4."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're small enough that all those things are one job, it's either "CTO" if you have VC backing and are willing to part with equity or "Dude you hired straight out of college and is willing to work unreasonable hours for low pay" if not.

Edit: okay, real answer is either "architect" or "staff engineer" and a salary that starts with the number 2.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 11, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Haha, yeah, I don't think I could ask to pin a C to my job title just yet. I was thinking something more mid-level that comes with good salary expectations but isn't managerial. Do CTOs really do much programming?

Noted, will look into those.

CTOs at real companies don't do any programming. CTOs at companies run out of their parents' garage do ALL the programming because the only other employee is the CEO.

What I'm trying to say is based on your description, you're either the co-founder of a "company" that makes no money and thinks their app idea is going to be worth billions, or you're the "IT guy" for a plumbing company in Iowa.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Staff Engineer/Architect implies depth, not breadth. If I saw those titles I'd expect a certain amount of deep understanding of your top skills.

I'd just say "Software Engineer" but if you wanted to goose it a little "Software and DevOps Engineer". DevOps isn't really IT-y these days, it's usually on the engineering side of the house.

Depends on the adjective before it. An enterprise architect is probably going to be a mile wide. On the other hand, I would expect a [vendor]-[product] architect to trip over their own beard on the way to the bathroom.

Staff engineer is meaningless beyond the expectation that you are managing/mentoring other, more junior engineers in some capacity.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 11, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

It sounds like "Enterprise Architect" is the right title there.

At most larger companies, enterprise architects translate business requirements into technical designs (which sounds like what is happening) but then aren't the ones actually doing the implementation. And then they get bored because they never get to touch stuff and they insist on touching my stuff and gently caress it all up.

#notbitter

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tigren posted:

They also have to go to a lot of meetings, and actually participate in them. If you don't want meetings, stay a lower level engineer. But the higher up you go on the career ladder, the more your problems are people problems and less computer problems. And those mostly get solved in meetings.

At some point in my career I actually started appreciating the meetings. I'm too old to write code all day. Let someone else figure out how the gently caress the Spark Python API works.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm just a creative person and enjoy building things. I enjoy being the one to solve problems and clear blockers. So implementation is a must for me, at least right now. My dream job would probably be being the senior-est senior engineer that knows everything about everything and spending most of my time either tackling the most challenging/interesting projects or helping other people past whatever they're stuck on when they come to me.

I might angle for Senior Engineer or Staff Engineer based on everyone's feedback. I'm aware that becoming management-level is almost inevitable if you want to climb the career ladder but I'd like to delay it as long as possible without falling behind.

I used to be this person and I am no longer this person. But I agree with everyone else that as long as you are this person, you need to stay out of management. All of the worst, most miserable managers I've ever had have been this person.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

Still actively hiring, here's the orgs main indeed page: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs

Here's a couple remote sre positions:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs?q=remote+sre&l=#cmp-skip-header-mobile

Here's a bunch of other remote positions from O365 admin to software engineer:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs?q=remote+infrastructure+&l=#cmp-skip-header-mobile

My team works directly with the SRE's and any goon getting one of those positions would be actively making my life easier.

I have PM's, so feel free to message with any questions.

Any idea what the compensation range for the ED Architect role is? I'm a principal consultant at a NoSQL database company, so it's basically what I do all day (Although I don't touch a ton of Azure at the moment).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Working in IT thread in SH/SC might be better for this, but does she want to be a software developer? Because if not, I can't imagine a BS in CS would be worth it over getting a couple certs and spending that time actually working in IT. Even if she does want to be a software developer, I feel like a degree is probably a lot more time and effort than its worth in terms of pay.

Project management is a thing in IT, too, so you could look at that as a potential entry point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It took me a second but I knew to check each octet individually because it seemed like the most obvious thing after I ruled out it being a broadcast address for a common subnet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I had a router that rejected any IP with .255 as the last octet even with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 or whatever. I think the field validation just looked for .255 in the last field and that was all it did.

Should have set it to a /28 and see if it let you use .127

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

So you’re saying that you’re open to new opportunities?

If you're offering, I was first in line :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this a "we know you're moonlighting for extra cash" thing or a "we how you're unemployed and desperate" thing?

Because if it's the former, I do love extra cash (depending on exactly what the rate is).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As someone with LLM / knowledge graph stuff on my resume, I get recruiters reaching out to me all the time. They all want me to take a massive pay cut or move to NYC.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Once interest rates come down*

Having debt be free was very weird compared to basically the entirety of the 20th century. I'm not sure they will go back to being free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just found out my company is hiring for an information management consultant. It's the same role I have with an adjacent/complimentary software, so I can answer pretty much any question over email or PM.

About us: Decently large public software company made up of smaller companies that were gobbled up, including mine. They're big on margin and consistent profit, so don't expect venture capital levels of lighting money on fire, but they also haven't completely gutted us for scraps and are actively continuing to develop the product.

About the job: The title is Senior Principal Consultant, which is not inflated. You're expected to be able to hold your own with IT people and executives alike. You're also expected to be able to lead a team of developers, both internal and external. You'll usually be working with one customer at a time, with typical engagements anywhere from a few weeks to a year.

About the software: Knowledge Graph / Taxonomy management, with a side of fact extraction and enrichment. Prior knowledge of RDF and especially SKOS is very helpful. We aren't an OWL/SHACL platform, but customers will drat well try anyways.

Important qualifications: Architect-level experience delivering successful projects. Ability and willingness to lead (herd cats). Strong background in information / knowledge management, especially the interface between business and data design. Soft skills, soft skills, soft skills.

Other nice-to-knows: Query languages (all of them, but especially SPARQL, SQL, GraphQL and XQuery). XML and JSON. NoSQL databases, especially graph, document and vector databases. Agile development, Git, JIRA, Jenkins. CI/CD, Docker/K8s, all the clouds. JavaScript, Python, Java, Spark, Kafka. REST, React, frontend bullshit. LDAP, SSL, OAuth, Kerberos. PowerBI, Qlik, Databricks. I have touched all of these things and more. You will never know everything you need to do your job - you will learn it quickly or die.

The good: I like the people I work with. Work/life balance is generally good. Fully remote, anywhere in the US. The pay scale says comp should be ~200-210 OTE. I make less than that but I was here before inflation started so go get that money. PTO is "unlimited" and I take at least 6 weeks / year, which seems pretty typical. Management will usually have your back and is willing to trust your judgement. You will work with the absolute bleeding edge of tech that everyone wants a piece of (yes, that likely includes Gen AI. No, we are not an AI company).

The bad: We aren't FAANG and we don't pay like we are. We had bad brain drain during the acquisitions and lost a lot of great and talented people who I miss a lot. You will be the first throat your customer reaches for when they want to strangle someone. There are resources behind you, but you're expected to be the sharp pointy bit out in front. You will work with the absolute bleeding edge of tech and your customers expect it to be magic.

The ugly: You will live or die by how well you can navigate your customers' office politics. You will babysit idiots and you will observe monumental stupidity that you cannot change. You need thick skin and you need to be someone people like to be around. You will work with the absolute bleeding edge of tech and you will have to explain to upper management that it is not magic while simultaneously convincing them to continue to spend money on it.

Still interested? [username]@gmail or PMs.

Edit: filled already, sorry!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 27, 2024