Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

stubblyhead posted:

Most of this assumes that it's a 1099 contract. If you're working on a W2 basis taxes and poo poo are way easier to manage.
The job I'm currently talking a recruiter about is a W2 position. He explained that my paycheck would come from the recruitment company (is that normal?). He was also really vague about time off, saying that there is no paid time off, but I would still be able to schedule unpaid time off if I needed...

I understand that benefits in general are more complicated with contract work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sarcasmatron posted:

Contractor vs. Contract Employee
Thanks for that. It was very helpful. It sounds like contract-to-hire or employment agencies are more my speed, at least for the time being. That said, how can you tell if an employment agency is shady or not? The recruiter said that they did offer some benefits, but admitted that they were fairly weak.

Fkin posted:

I have the following positions open (v- Ms contracts)
Added. Good luck!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Con: it's entry-level support/helpdesk, with commensurate pay. We're in Mount Vernon, IL (about an hour from Saint Louis, MO, and an hour and a half from Evansville, Indiana). Serious middle-of-nowhere stuff.
I grew up in Evansville, so yeah, I'm pretty familiar with how middle of nowhwere you are.

Followup question to my questions from earlier:
The position I interviewed for today is a 3-6 month (this is vague... how can it be vague?) contract (W2, through an IT staffing firm) position. I am told that it is to backfill a position where somebody was promoted internally, so there is a good chance that it could turn into a full time job at the end of the contract when they realize how awesome I am.

Contract rate of pay is $38/hr. I assume if I am "converted", I would end up negotiating a salary or rate with the company directly, and it will not be nearly as high as the contract rate. Is there any rule of thumb on what I could potentially expect to get out of that? I'm trying to evaluate potential long term options, and since this is a fairly short term contract, it makes me a little uneasy.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Moey posted:

Do they mention any moving of user's workstations in the job description?
You know, I saw that you were the most recent post, and my first thought was "What's Movey doing in my job thread?"

Thanks all for the advice. I do not believe the position is worth the contract rate, which is why I was asking about pay cuts. I'm shooting for about $65k, but would of course love to go higher than that. I am in the bizarre situation now where I actually have lots of different prospects, and may have my pick of several different jobs, so I'm trying to compare and contrast and weigh long term options as best I can. Year of the job, indeed!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I will refine this post later with more information (as I find it), but apparently the place I'm at now is looking to hire like 10 more support staff by the end of the year and they haven't had a lot of success. Also, I apparently get some kind of referral bonus for recruiting people, so this is potentially a win-win-win scenario.

Who we are: Entrust
What we do: Lots of cool encryption and security poo poo!
When: Before 2012, apparently

Historically, the Entrust software support staff has been based in their corporate office in Ottawa, Canada. For various reasons, they want to build up a support staff in the Dallas office. There are currently 3 of us, including myself. They want closer to 13 by the end of the year.

Requirements: Good troubleshooting skills and willingness to learn new things. You will be supporting IT professionals, not end users, which is a plus. We use VMware for building test servers, so comfort with that is a plus. They will provide you with training for the products you'll be supporting, so if you don't know poo poo about things like PKI and CAs and 2nd factor authentication, don't worry.

I don't have a loving clue how the recruitment bonus thing works yet, but if you're interested, you can email me at bradly.cochran@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do. If I can't "recruit" you, I'll still pass your info on.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 3, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

I will refine this post later with more information (as I find it), but apparently the place I'm at now is looking to hire like 10 more support staff by the end of the year and they haven't had a lot of success. Also, I apparently get some kind of referral bonus for recruiting people, so this is potentially a win-win-win scenario.

Who we are: Entrust
What we do: Lots of cool encryption and security poo poo!
When: Before 2012, apparently

Historically, the Entrust software support staff has been based in their corporate office in Ottawa, Canada. For various reasons, they want to build up a support staff in the Dallas office. There are currently 3 of us, including myself. They want closer to 13 by the end of the year.

Requirements: Good troubleshooting skills and willingness to learn new things. You will be supporting IT professionals, not end users, which is a plus. We use VMware for building test servers, so comfort with that is a plus. They will provide you with training for the products you'll be supporting, so if you don't know poo poo about things like PKI and CAs and 2nd factor authentication, don't worry.

I don't have a loving clue how the recruitment bonus thing works yet, but if you're interested, you can email me at bradly.cochran@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do. If I can't "recruit" you, I'll still pass your info on.

I've gotten a couple of replies so far, so good luck to those! Apparently we are also looking for software developers. I know we do a lot of Java development, but I think we're also looking for people with experience developing for iOS, Blackberry, Android, Windows Mobile/Windows Phone.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sorry for the lack of updating on the OP lately.. been pretty busy! I think I've got all the new postings added now. Please let me know if I've overlooked you!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Edit: grr, major quote/edit catastrophe!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

jobbot3000 posted:

Web Developer Opportunity at WET Design
Somebody paid :10bux: just to post in my thread? Neat!

I'm definitely suspicious of this post, but I'll go ahead and add it to the OP because a job's a job. I'll remove it if I get complaints, though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sorry guys, been busy with the new job and holiday stuff. Catching up on the postings now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

It's getting tough to keep up with all of the new postings, which is certainly a good thing. Since the OP is getting pretty long (probably also filled with links to jobs that have been filled or are otherwise no longer available...), does anybody have any suggestions for a better way to maintain the goon job postings than relying on one person to update the OP whenever he can? I mean, if you guys prefer having the big long listing in the OP, I'll keep doing it for as long as people keep posting... but if anybody wants to try another method, I'm open to suggestions!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Whelp, I've hit the maximum post length in the OP. Definitely time to come up with a new way to manage job postings... if somebody wants to throw a page together with all the current listings, I'll be happy to link to it in the OP. Otherwise... not really sure what I'm going to do.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

boo_radley posted:

google docs? Can the forums embed them?

I'm okay with just linking to something, but I'm not hugely familiar with Google Docs. I also wouldn't mind if anybody was willing to lend a hand at updating the listings, since I also found success with Year of the Job and spend a lot less time in the forums than I did before.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

quackquackquack posted:

I'm going to suggest again that there be no "index" of positions that needs to be manually updated.
I don't personally have a problem with this, but somebody will need to change the thread title again (I don't know when it changed last, just noticed it yesterday)

Scaramouche posted:

You realize you owe brc64 5% of your first year's wages, payable monthly, right?
I also do not have a problem with this.

rock2much posted:

Maybe link to the jobs older than 3 months and only keep the most recent jobs in the OP?
There's no way I can keep up with which postings are older (at least with the current format). People occasionally PM me to remove a listing, or mention it in the thread, but most do not. And I barely have time to update new listings, let alone verify old ones.

Sab669 posted:

If I weren't so drat busy this semester, I think it'd be a really cool project for me to quickly throw something up that'd just let goons post / delete jobs, then whoever posted it is responsible.
This was always sort of my vision when I started, but I don't have the web skills to make it happen. I do, however, know how to click "EDIT".

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

:siren:

OP here.

Life has gotten really busy and I don't really the time to keep up with postings anymore. If somebody else wants to maintain the listings in either a post or something off-site, I'll be happy to update the OP and link to that. I'd love to see this thing keep going, but I just don't have the time to drive it anymore.

Thanks for all the support!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

boo_radley posted:

Eh, let's give it a try: SH/SC Job Fair spreadsheet.

I have added it to the OP! If it takes off and seems to work well, I'll probably clean up the rest of the OP. The old format was never going to be sustainable long term, since there is a character limit for each post.

Thanks again, really!