Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Education: I'm in my 3rd year of college working on a BS in Computer Science. I originally intended to get my degree and pursue a career in software development but realized it isn't for me and I'm much more interested in working towards a Systems or Network Administration position.

My Experience: Been in my current position for 2 years as a Desktop Support Technician for the Bioinformatics department in my university. Provide hardware and software support for faculty members on Windows, Linux, and OS X machines. I support a student computer lab which I create and deploy a Windows 7 and CentOS image to each semester. Occasionally work with servers in our clusters, mostly troubleshooting hardware issues.

Have some experience setting up and maintaining Linux file/webservers. I have basic experience programming in Java, C, Ruby, and Python.
Currently I am preparing to take the CompTIA A+ and Network+ exams in December.

What I'm looking for: Desktop Support Tech, Junior Sysadmin, Entry-level positions, I'll pretty much consider anything available at the moment.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, sales

Where I live: Richmond, VA

Where I'm looking: I would prefer Richmond, but I'm not opposed to relocating.

When I can start: Need 2 weeks notice.

Can be reached via: PM

Jato fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Job Seeker

I've been working at a development job since getting my degree, and while I really like my current company and work with some great people, I don't think development is a good fit for me long-term. I really miss doing more hands-on IT work and am getting bored in my current position just writing code.

Education - BS in Computer Science

Experience - 4 years desktop support, 2 years software development

Where I'm looking - Richmond, VA or Remote

What I'm looking for - Ideally linux administration, open to DevOps-type positions - but I'm not super picky

What I'm NOT looking for - Help desk, Development

When I can start - After 2 weeks notice to current employer

Requirements - Full time w/ benefits

Contact - PM

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Considering a job change soon figured I’d see if there’s anything that’s a good fit:

My experience: 3 years development experience on enterprise Linux applications. Primarily Java, some C++, C#, Python.

1 year experience Infrastructure Analyst maintaining RHEL7 Oracle database servers for an ERP system.

BS in Computer Science

What I'm looking for: Linux administration or (probably Java) development.

Could go either way on this. Worked as a developer for a few years and loved my job, then moved into an Infrastructure Position at a University for the increased salary and benefits but I’m bored as hell here. Would like to move into a position where I can learn more and be of more value.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything help desk, support or QA

Where I'm looking: Richmond, VA or remote. Would prefer not to relocate but would consider it for the right position

When I can start: 2-4 weeks

Requirements: Health insurance, full time, good PTO

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Job seeker

The girlfriend has a really awesome opportunity with her company to relocate to The Netherlands so I’m looking for either a job over there or something I can do remotely. Looks like we’re going to move late September/early October.

My experience:
9 years in various forms of IT and a degree in Computer Science. Started in a student job at my Univesity doing a mix of desktop support and Linux administration for 4 years. Followed by 3 years as a software developer - primarily server side enterprise Linux software (Java/C++, SQL, some mobile dev). Currently Infrastructure Analyst for a large University, I do a little bit of everything here but mostly RedHat and Oracle administration for our ERP system. Have a lot of experience with various DevOps tools and configuration management in my past two roles- Jenkins, Puppet, Ansible, Docker, etc. A lot of my time as a developer was spent migrating pretty old manual build processes to use modern devops tools and doing a lot of automation.

What I'm looking for: Linux administration, DevOps engineer, or similar. Not too picky, as long as it’s something Linux heavy I will likely enjoy it and do it well.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, part time

Where I live: Virginia

Where I'm looking: Remote or Netherlands: ideally Utrecht, but figure it’s more likely I’ll find something in Amsterdam

When can I start: Planning to move late September/early October - can start much sooner if remote

Requirements: Full-time + benefits
Visa sponsorship would be nice, but not required, we think I get a residence and work permit through my girlfriend but it requires jumping through a few more hoops and paperwork

Jato fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 28, 2019

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Job opening: Infrastructure Analyst (my current position)

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or are interested in applying. This is my current position and I will be vacating in early January but we want to have some overlap with the new hire if possible so I can perform some of the onboarding and training. We are the infrastructure team for the University ERP system, my job is a lot of Redhat and Oracle administration and working special projects. I think my boss is expecting to hire someone without my strong background in those, so if that's the case you'd be more focused on learning the web app side of things and spreading that work around the team. Someone coming in with a strong Linux administration or Oracle background would probably be more of a direct replacement for me.

Who we are: A large public university

Where we are: Richmond, Virginia

Who we are looking for (from the listing)
Minimum Standards

Demonstrated experience in Unix OS navigation and commands, shell scripting and application installations and troubleshooting.
    Knowledge of code repositories, application servers (weblogic and tomcat), web servers (apache), Unix administration, database administration and concepts.
    Demonstrated knowledge of systems analysis and ability to define and develop solutions to meet user requirements and resolve problems.
    Demonstrated organizational, communication and interpersonal skills; ability to maintain positive attitude and work well within the IT community and its operational clients.
    Strong PC skills.
    Bachelor degree preferred in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent demonstrated experience in related work.

Preferred Hiring Standards

Experience with command line Oracle SQL via SQLPlus and understanding of Oracle database objects and structures.
    Knowledge of Tomcat and Apache server administration.
    Knowledge of enterprise network architecture.Knowledge of common technology security structures.
    Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, Google Apps, TOAD.
    Ability to integrate knowledge of different technical areas and systems to achieve desired results.

Why you should work here:
    Great state benefits and PTO including a winter break in December
    If you're good at what you do lots of freedom and autonomy
    Good pay for a university job, and a good team working on some cool projects

Jato fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 23, 2019

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Job Opening

My team is looking for two new members: one database engineer, and one systems engineer, with some focus on Google Cloud moving forward. We're located in the Netherlands, but almost everyone is fully-remote at the moment. We typically do a good bit of international recruiting and relocation for IT positions (they relocated me from the US in January) but I think due to the corona situation we're mostly looking within the country. Either way - if you're interested shoot me a PM and we can chat a little more about your background and the specifics for the position.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

My experience: CS degree, 10 years in various IT roles - primarily Linux System Administration/Infrastructure and Software Engineering for large enterprise as well as higher education. Linux heavy, lot of devops, docker, Ansible type stuff in the last few years. Recently done a lot of Go development.
What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, entry level roles
What I'm looking for: Pretty flexible, would be happy to get into a traditional Linux Sysadmin role again, or something more cloud-touching. Also open to SE jobs using Go, Python or Kotlin.
Where I'm looking: Remote or Richmond, VA
When I can I start: Immediately
Requirements: Full-Time
Can be reached via: PM or behest_dirk_0z@icloud.com

Left my last employer amicably to spend a few months traveling and now I'm looking to get back into a full time role.

e: no longer looking, got a cool gig.

Jato fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hotel Kpro posted:

I would love a network engineer job, even got the CCNA, but I just job hopped three months ago and 14 months before that and I think it'll look bad if I jump again.

In my experience this isn't a big deal as long as you can explain somewhat valid reasons for the short tenures. I had a string of 6-12 month jobs and it was due to a handful of things like moving, changing career direction a bit, and not liking the mandatory in-office work culture of one job. It was brought up by interviewers a couple times but I explained it and don't feel like it kept me from getting any offers.