Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Dirty Beluga posted:

Not contrarian at all! it's good to hear someones having luck - I'm also in the NYC area, been using https://www.builtinnyc.com poking around in my network, going directly to employers websites... not much luck. If you can share some of the resources you've utilizes (recruiters, smaller job boards, etc) and help out a local goon my family and I would appreciate it!

Otta has been good to me for higher % of callbacks and interviews, but recruiters for stuff that goes to the end of the hiring cycle.

I have a friend, also in NYC tech, who is a LinkedIn referral machine who has been helping get people looped in to recruiters, but mostly for junior roles.

DM me if you have a solid LinkedIn presentation of your experience and want a connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Company got bought, been there 10 years and wow the job market has changed for the worse in nearly every way. Any tips for a 40-something IT manager? i'm a bit baffled as to where to go from here as Linkedin is a cesspool and Indeed doesn't understand the words you put in search

For a while now it feels like LinkedIn is just social media to angle for recruiter attention, and Indeed has always been scams/fake jobs. Google Jobs searches provides better results than Indeed. Like, seriously, Indeed is the PlentyOfFish of job sites.

My 16-month+ search (while employed in a toxic shithole) is over for now, all thanks to LinkedIn DMs from recruiters and settling for not finding a pre-2020 title or comfortable salary.

imo Glassdoor is slightly better than Indeed despite effectively being Indeed :confused:, running scripts to crawl for Workday postings has helped some of my friends, and Otta gave me a better % of application responses and a better filter for low salary roles in industries that I won't touch.