Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hi people. I posted the below in the main working in IT thread, then noticed this one, so I'm reposting it here as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people, some goon advice needed.

So I'm self-employed, little business involving deliveries and distribution.

But it's kinda gradually drying up, I'm looking for something more steady and predictable.

So the UK is operating a free Skills Bootcamp to fill in holes in the job market. Generally seem to be a part-time 3 month course, with a qualifaction, guaranteed interview etc.

So I was thinking of trying one of the Digital courses.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/find-a-skills-bootcamp/london

Now I do have experience in IT, just well out of date. I used to be a professional computer toucher 20 years ago. Coded RPG400 and SQL, little Visual Basic. But I haven't touched them since.

Here's the problem. Looking at the Digital list, I have immediate decision paralysis. There's a lot of courses and I've no real idea what's likely to be a good one to go for in 2023, especially for someone who's 51. Note that I don't think that it's I couldn't do any of them in particular, I meant employers will be automatically looking for fresh 20 somethings in some of those roles so probably going to be very hard to get into.

If any of you can glance over the Digital list and make any useful suggestion I would be super-grateful. The only courses I'm actively 'Ehhhhh I'm not sure that's for me' about is the Digital Marketing, which don't sound like my cup of tea. Everything else I'd love to hear an opinion on.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Thanks for your advice people