Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.
My experience: Three and a half years of Windows Server 2003; sole technical administrator of five-site Active Directory setup with 150 workstations, five DCs, twelve servers. Some entertaining disaster recovery. MCSA:Messaging/MCSE certified with significant Exchange experience, extensive experience figuring out how to fix things that are mostly or entirely undocumented. CCNA, halfway through my CCNP.
What I'm looking for: Non-senior systems or network administration positions, possibly lead help desk for the right place.
What I'm NOT looking for: Contract work of less than a year's duration, night shift, entry-level help desk.
Where I live: Olympia, WA.
Where I'm looking: Seattle and Tacoma area.
When I can start: Two weeks notice.
Requirements: Full-time or a reasonable contract-to-hire,
Can be reached via: PM, this thread.

Updated: 12/17/2010

Midelne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

nolen posted:

What about those of us who have great full-time jobs but would enjoy freelance gigs on the side? Should those be kept out of this thread to prevent clutter?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that until the economy unfreezes this thread could probably use all the clutter it can get.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

But imagine, you're a circus performer, and whlie walking a tightrope, you have to juggle running chainsaws. However, these chainsaws are also on fire, shoot laserbeam, and are electrified. You are also wearing a suit made out of bees.

That actually sounds like my kind of gig. I'll get back to you in five years or so.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

marketingman posted:

Is it just me or do these motherfuckers want 6 years experience for a bullshit frontline helpdesk job????

https://jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/vacancy/Display_Vac.aspx?lang=1200&VACID=cd8a4bb3-23fd-43b9-9bcf-32d827283688

Is that unreasonable or am I misreading this job?

U.N. posted:

Build, test and modify prototype application software based on detailed instructions; Install and maintain software systems; Support senior staff in the creation and maintenance of application software within Lotus Notes, Microsoft Access and web-based architectures, etc.; Assist in the preparation of technical and user documentation, as well as in the production of training materials; Maintain regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices and provide support as required; Conduct research on new technologies as requested

Kind of looks like a combination Q&A/Help Desk with what could potentially be a significant amount of programming involved. Also, you get to tell people, "I work for the U.N."

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

brc64 posted:

So is this how civilians with no clearance get clearance? I've seen a lot of pretty nice looking jobs in the past that I've had to pass up because they were government work and required a certain clearance level.

Also, we're up to 15 jobs posted (would be 16 but one has been filled). Keep it up!

I'm also curious about this for similar reasons. Security clearance would widen my job prospects significantly, being near a full-size Army base and an Air Force base that are fairly consistent employers. The Googling I've done on the subject has been inconclusive at best, and most of it seems to suggest that for a civilian to get security clearance you have to be selected for a job that requires security clearance, and it seems like you'd be fighting an uphill battle for that at best.

Is there more that I'm missing?

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Cavepimp posted:

Where: Tigard, OR (about 10 min from downtown Portland)

Guh. This is actually kind of tempting, aside from the 160 mile commute. What's the housing (apartment) market like in that area?

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Cavepimp posted:

Actually not too horrible. I was expecting apartment prices to jump, but it seems there are a lot of empty units and prices have dropped a bit. I'm in an apartment right now and the unit next to me has been empty for months, and it's a pretty desirable floor plan.

I'll rewrite my resume and possibly send something off this weekend. Good to at least see something of this type within a tri-state area that's open.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Cavepimp posted:

Only a couple of you interested? (hey, Midelne, still want to hear back from you)

I'm interested, but spent the weekend weighing whether I was interested enough to move away from family and friends and came up a bit short, sorry. About the most I'd use it for would be to pressure my current job for a raise, and I'm not going to waste your time with that.

Thanks for posting it, though, definitely a nice ray of sunshine to be well-suited for an available job.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

May or may not be a good place to ask, but has anyone done any work with Comforce? They would, unsolicited, like to "discuss a position" with me, and unless they're awful to work with I'm inclined to jump at it.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Magwai posted:

Did you have your resume posted on any sites? It looks like they are a staffing agency so I would assume they look at resume's posted to Job sites to find people they think will work for a specific position. At least I couldn't find anything negative about them on Google.

Yeah, I have a resume up on quite a few sites. Just wondering if this was the "Check out this amazing $10/hour gig, 6+ years of experience, MCSE+CCSP+Bachelor's required! (ps temp job)" type of staffing agency or something a bit higher up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Sysadmin job in Puyallup is temporarily on-hold.

Midelne fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 2, 2011