Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My experience: Between 5-6 years of supporting / administration of Windows environments.
What I'm looking for: A job that is a bit more dynamic and challenging. I'm stagnating where I'm at.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk
Where I live: Northern VA
Where I'm looking: From DC to Fredericksburg VA.
When I can start: 2 weeks notice.
Requirements: Health insurance is a must, PTO nice, other perks handy.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, setash@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Puck42 posted:

Have you put your resume on Monster or CareerBuilder?

I did a few days ago and I've gotten about 5 calls from Recruiters looking for people with 5 years experience in the DC area. I'm looking for a Linux position so I can't forward any of the leads, but good luck.

I assume you don't have a clearance?

I did that a long long time ago; before I had that level of experience. Good call; I'll toss it back up there, I still get the occasional recruiter on my WAY out of date resume.

No clearance, but would die for one around here :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks for the heads up - tossed my resume up on Monster, CarreerBuilder, Dice, and ComputerJobs.com with a current version.

Already have two phone interviews with local consulting firms lined up, but am moving from a position, not unemployed - and thus want to make sure its the right move.

Thanks for the help. :)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

This may or may not be the thread, but I posted myself in here a few days back. I just got an offer from a small (sub-10 employee) consulting firm in the DC area. It's a 15k raise over my current position, and a seniority bump as well.

What's people's experience been with small consulting firms? Doubly so in this economy. Everywhere I've worked has either been 40+ employees, OR not doing consulting in any form.

The bonus structure is good, and the guy who interviewed me (company president) was extremely competent, but I also am sliiiiighly wary in this economy. Thoughts?

edit: VVV I'm currently looking because my current superior is not quite so competent to put nicely. That said, its a very secure position - I'm just curious as to people's experiences with the security / longevity of a similar size consulting firm :) VVV

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 25, 2009

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Bob Jones posted:

I work for a small consulting firm that does mostly small business or small financial firms in the New York area. We have had enough of a downturn to stop expanding in the last year but its not make-or-break time for us. Mostly because of the age of the company - we have a lot of continuing business and word of mouth referrals. It would be good to know how old that firm is because growth for us is flat. For a consultant that can be pretty hard since new consultants tend to find themselves crowded out of good hours by the guys who have been there and know all the clients by name. When I started I found myself working with newer clients who didn't have it yet in their mind to ask for the same person all the time.

Also your boss is going to be important when new to consulting because clients will get crazy about what might seem like small amounts in terms of billed hours. Its hard to tell from one meeting whether or not your boss is a throw you under the bus type of guy when it comes to a billing dispute. It is very critical to keep notes of everything and anything you do.

It's a company thats been in business for about 8 years. However I ended up declining the position, while there was a nice raise, and I liked the company a whole lot, the benefits left a LOT to be desired, not enough to make up for it in the end.

Still looking, but getting lots of calls re: consulting positions.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Who we are: Government Contractor

Where we are: Northern Virginia / Washington DC

Job title: Systems Administrator

What we want: A competent windows system administrator. College, certs, all that - not required. Experience and intelligence please. Teamwork is huge. BONUS MEGA POINTS if you have Security+ and/or Active Security Clearance.

Why you'd want to work here: It's a pretty sweet gig, the people rule, and the pay isnt bad. We're the first DoD network to deploy an entirely Win2k8 domain into production soooo resume is good too? Good benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc

Why you wouldn't want to work here: It's hectic, a lot of poo poo going on, and all that stuff.
Salary: Up to $60k.

Please PM me on here if interested. I know one of the helpdesk guys relocated from California for his job, so theyll take you from out of state, but dont expect assistance.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

Who we are: Government Contractor

Where we are: Northern Virginia / Washington DC

Job title: Systems Administrator

What we want: A competent windows system administrator. College, certs, all that - not required. Experience and intelligence please. Teamwork is huge. BONUS MEGA POINTS if you have Security+ and/or Active Security Clearance.

Why you'd want to work here: It's a pretty sweet gig, the people rule, and the pay isnt bad. We're the first DoD network to deploy an entirely Win2k8 domain into production soooo resume is good too? Good benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc

Why you wouldn't want to work here: It's hectic, a lot of poo poo going on, and all that stuff.
Salary: Up to $60k.

Please PM me on here if interested. I know one of the helpdesk guys relocated from California for his job, so theyll take you from out of state, but dont expect assistance.

Okay; update:
1x helpdesk position available (up to 50k, 1yr experience required)
2x Administration positions available. You'd be working for me as I'm moving up to the team lead position.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sanchez posted:

Still looking from my post on the 10th, you think it'd be easy to find someone that meets that description in a major metro area who would accept 50-60k. It is proving impossible, everyone has a job, has no experience or cannot speak English.

Seeing the same issue down in Northern VA. You would think $65k + security clearance would net some nice possibilities, but nothing but junk. Good luck, its a wasteland in the Metro DC area.

Gives me hope for the next time I go job shopping though :)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Emailed you Brent; unsure if my background lines up - but it may be close.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Same here. I nearly have eight years of experience.

It's on :colbert:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hey all. Reposting my information as I'm in a spot in life where I can move. Pretty much anywhere. Hooray. I'm open to almost (almost!) anywhere in the US.

My experience: Aprrox 7 years of Systems Administration. ~3.5 years mid-senior level, a bit under a year in management. I'm well experienced with project management, security (hooray DoD), Powershell (but suck with VBscript), etc.
My Certifications: DoD 8570 style: MCP, MCDST, Security+, and an active DoD Secret
What I'm looking for: Something interesting. Expand my horizons. I'm a in a 6000 user Server 2008 shop. I love .NET and Powershell. Hard to say salary due to cost of living of where you are. Benefits are a must.
Where I live: Virginia, but this is flexible!
Where I'm looking: You tell me.
When I can start: Two weeks; possible additional lag time for relocation
Can be reached via: PM here, or setash at geemail dot commm

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

wwb posted:

We are hiring a Systems Administrator in Washington, DC for a major industry trade association. You have seen our ads. This is frankly a wet dream of an operating environment -- we have a very, very well funded department with very, very minimal red tape. You get the chance to work on some interesting, cutting-edge projects [raise your hand if you have IPv6 in your office?]. The management team -- my boss and I -- are both jaded, dyed in the wool IT types who will keep the suits off your back and will never sell you down the river. Now, we do work very hard here, but you get to see the results first hand. Etc, etc.

Here be the job description:

Interested? Email me at wyatt dot barnett at gmail

Emailed as well.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sanchez posted:

Move to DC, you'd have a job inside 2 weeks that pays rather well.

Agreed. You'd be employed immediately and easily see 70k+. That said, cost of living is assuredly higher. But you'll also never have to look very hard for IT/security work again.

Walked fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 4, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Leaving my job in LEESBURG VA.
I have about a two week window to refer people. So act quickly.
edit: since it's been asked via PM why I'm leaving such a sweet gig. I got offered a TON more money + telecommute. I actually declined the initial offer to leave which was $40k/yr more. Thats right, I refused to leave for an extra $40k/yr.

What we need
Sr Windows Systems Administrator

It's a relatively small shop (1.5 sites, datacenter + corporate HQ). 1700 contractor company, but only about 50 on overhead. There is a helpdesk guy to filter out the BS tasks, and an IT manager to filter the politics. The position is GLORIOUS. Favorite job I've ever had. Ever. (Only leaving for shitloads of money, I actually declined the first offer to leave this job)

Who we are
A DoJ contractor with a 7 year contract. It's a joint venture largely owned by L-3Communications. The job is stable.

Why it rocks to work here
Pay ($90-100k). Benefits (amazing). Attitude (very chill). Casual(ish) dress. Flexible hours. I've received 2x $1000 random bonuses. It's incredible.

Oh. And the VACATION. I get 4wks vacation + 1week sick time per year. 5 weeks total. AND they let you use the sick time for vacation. This is all fact.

Typing all this up makes me almost want to un-resign.

How to apply
PM me. Or email setash at gmail dot com

When we need you
ASAP. My last day is December 20th.

Walked fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 5, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Job Posting:

Job Description: Systems Administrator (junior-mid)
Note: Requires Secret Clearance or above

A bit about it: This is a position I requested created as we've grown a lot in my tenure. We're a Windows shop; and our primary team responsibility is software development to support the congressional budget. However, this role and my position support the IT infrastructure for the developers and our application.

That said, this position is supporting the IT infrastructure and supporting my role. We're Windows/IIS/.NET/MS SQL Server across the board, and maintain 3 sites across the USA. I'm in the process of trying to get AWS added to our contracts as well. We're a typical combination of infrastructure that has grown organically from a small group of developers acting as systems administrators (ugh) combined with a properly planned IT infrastructure. The position is being created to help with two issues: myself being a single point of failure in IT infrastructure, and the fact that my workload has grown a huge amount in my tenure. On top of that I'm trying to bring a bit more maturity, automation, and process to our network. Basically - a LOT of things happening, and we have the budget to support it.

Good things: I've been here 4 years. It's a good place to be; I genuinely like it most of the time. There is some telework. We generally get very little micro-management from our team leads. Lots of stuff to play with. High availability and clustering, SANs, DR planning. VPNs, network topology redesign in process. We maintain a security accreditation with the CIO office within a government organization; so there's regular security scanning, mitigation, documentation, and testing. Dont be expected to know ALL of that; but be prepared to have a finger in what you want to learn and take off my shoulders and/or get exposure with.

There's also a training budget; which I tend take advantage of regularly. It's pretty awesome. Oh and we dont manage email/exchange, or printers. And all our end users are software developers, most of which are exceedingly competent.

Bad things: It's government, so there's some red tape. There's a tendency for purchases to fall off the table when going from our office to the purchasing office; so sometimes we'll get exactly what we need when we need it, and sometimes we dont. It's almost a chess game getting what we need purchased before our licenses expire and/or project deadlines are due. But I'm working on managing this process with our project management office. Also this is mainly something I deal with so the position here will mostly deal with the possible fallout, but none of the budget management stuff.

Salary range: I'm waiting for confirmation on this from our recruiter. I find this company (we're contractors but very stable for contractors: again - I've been here for 4yrs now) tends to be fairly competitive in the field.

Contact: PM me here or post an email. I'll send you the recruiter information and the official job posting.

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 14, 2015

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

JOB SEEKER

Education: Work experience primarily, with specific classes along the way

Experience: About 10 years now in IT; ranging from datacenter tech initially, to IT Operations lead presently. I'm in a contract position with some inklings that my present contract may or may not have legs going forward; having already gotten 5 years on a contract is pretty solid as it stands. I've primarily dealt with IT Infrastructure from a Windows / AD environment, been through many NIST audits and accreditations, and manages all the moving parts from start to finish. I'm also pretty well versed in SCCM, as well as PowerShell, and some C# (and have contributed small pieces of code to our production application, though not my primary duty).

I hold an MCDST (lol), MCSA 2012, and Security+. I dont mind certifications being a condition of employment; thats why I have what I have generally.

What I'm looking for: Either moving into the security side of things moreso or DevOps / Infrastructure as Code. I'm open as long as it's technically interesting, gives me a chance to learn new things, and has some semblance of a work life balanace.

What I'm NOT looking for: Software development or helpdesk.

Where I live: Baltimore / DC area (Annapolis)

Where am I looking: Baltimore / DC area

Requirements: Full time, reasonable benefits, and commesurate salary.

Contact Info: PM or setash at gmail

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Open to doing consulting?

Sure; with the caveat that there needs to be some semblance of work/life balance as I've got two kids at home, but otherwise entirely open to it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

JOB SEEKER

Education: Work experience primarily, with specific classes along the way

Experience: About 10 years now in IT; ranging from datacenter tech initially, to IT Operations lead presently. I'm in a contract position with some inklings that my present contract may or may not have legs going forward; having already gotten 5 years on a contract is pretty solid as it stands. I've primarily dealt with IT Infrastructure from a Windows / AD environment, been through many NIST audits and accreditations, and manages all the moving parts from start to finish. I'm also pretty well versed in SCCM, as well as PowerShell, and some C# (and have contributed small pieces of code to our production application, though not my primary duty).

I hold an MCDST (lol), MCSA: 2012, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, and Security+. I dont mind certifications being a condition of employment; thats why I have what I have generally.

What I'm looking for: Either moving into the security side of things moreso or DevOps / Infrastructure as Code. I'm open as long as it's technically interesting, gives me a chance to learn new things, and has some semblance of a work life balanace.

What I'm NOT looking for: Software development or helpdesk.

Where I live: Baltimore / DC area (Annapolis)

Where am I looking: Baltimore / DC area

Requirements: Full time, reasonable benefits, and commesurate salary.

Contact Info: PM or setash at gmail

Reposting this; just finished my MCSE 2012 "Cloud Platform and Infrastructure"

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Plinkey posted:

Looking:

EE Degree: PSU (Penn State)
Comp Sci Masters: Johns Hopkins

C# 10 years, including lots of weird stuff like reflection for a production system and lots of PInvoke.

Python, Java, SQl, TCL...etc I can learn whatever.

TS SCI Cleared.

Where are you located?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Plinkey posted:

Just outside of DC

Send me your contact info at Setash at gmail

I'd be happy to chat and offer a POC with my company - same area.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hiring: Lead Systems Engineer (backfill for me) for a small company in the Washington DC area
Salary ~140-150k
GREAT company, decent team, middling customer but not bad.

Easily one of the best places I've worked (and I'm just transitioning to a new position).
Primarily Performance Monitor implementation focus; largely linux/unix. HUGE amount of support and career growth within the company available.

Currently fully remote, but looking for someone local.
PM me for full details; not sure if we have it posted since my position change isnt fully public in the company yet.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My company is looking for someone in the "DevOps" space to work on my team (reporting to me).

Title is "Devops Engineer" (potentially "junior" depending on background and skillset).

Looking for:
3-5 years related experience, some of which is CI/CD, cloud, or code/scripting related.
Please understand basics of code, git, AWS, and docker (I will gladly train a lot, though, I'm not expecting the moon)
And most importantly: a good attitude / ability to be proactive

Us:
- Startup; but with one of the better startup cultures I've been in
- East Coast (mostly), but fully remote workforce (though we do have a Baltimore office)
- AWS shop; currently I'm leading a transition from ECS and poorly designed mishmash of Serverless / CloudFormation into a Terraform / K8s implementation while supporting the dev team in their day-to-day

The benefits:
- Pay range 120k+
- Benefits are pretty good (health, retirement, pto, options, etc)
- Fully remote
- But you have to be okay with mostly being EST-based for work-hours

PM me if interested.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My place of business is hiring a few roles:

1. Varying levels of Software Engineer (mostly Mid to Principal)
2) Varying levels of "DevOps" Engineers (2 mid level, 1 principal level)

We're AWS, Java (legacy, on way out), and nodefor the most part. Evolving microservice architecture with typical painpoints of a successful and growing organization.
Cant speak to the SWE roles directly, but the "DevOps" stuff is largely undergoing a big staffing and structural revamp to reflect what actually needs to happen. It's all positive shifts but there's definitely some things in transition.

Good stuff:
- Work/Life Balance is for REAL. I'm serious on this. The company pushes and lives it through and through.
- 100% remote organization from day 1; this isn't some place that half-assed the remote conversion due to COVID. You will not be asked to be in an office.
- Global company, but without extreme expectations to have weird as gently caress hours.
- Pay is on the higher end of market, and benefits also are very good.

Bad stuff:
- Lots of growth means some of our system and design (and more importantly: process) overshot the amount of strategic planning to go with it.
its really not bad; I've seen _so much worse_ - and the right folks have the right mindset around correction here so I have a positive outlook on this
- The one exception to the global timezone flexibility thing is PST is kinda the worst timezone based on our primary tech team; if youre PST prepare for an early shifted day (the only person I know in CA starts his day at 6am)

I'm sure I'll find more bad stuff; but overall - I was referred here on the merits above, and so far its matching up with them in every way.

PM is probably best contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

you might be surprised

really surprised

I'm an Engineering Manager

One of the screening questions we ask is (via zoom, it gets sent in text too):
"Is 146.289.22.155" a valid IP address? Why or why not?

I'd say about 50% get the first half, and maybe 10% can get close to answering (and maybe all the way there with a little probing/small help), and less than 5% actually can answer with some actual depth. These are applicants for senior roles that specifically ask for cloud and networking experience.

you just might be surprised.

Walked fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 3, 2023