Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

unixbeard posted:

I'm not trying to be smug but consider working on a name brand open source project. Pick something like Apache/Firefox/MySQL or something and just help close up bugs.

Any goons with interest in building their resume/soul by contributing to Apache [HTTP Server] can drop me a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

BlackTerror posted:

You can't accept emails or PMs :confused:

Sorry -- I just tried to flip email on now. My AIM handle in the profile is valid, FWIW.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

royallthefourth posted:

hmmmm yes i have a bachelor's in computer science and i think i'd like to do affiliate marketing for a job

Those solicitations ITT have rubbed me the wrong way as well.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Tulenian posted:

I got 56 out of college with just an honors BS in a dirt cheap Cost-of-Living area with 2 years of internship experience, so I don't think 50-55 is really that crazy.

Of course, having the MS might hurt more than help in this economy, but who knows.

55 sounds perfectly reasonable for a totally fresh-out-of-college developer/tester/support, much less one with good pre-professional and graduate work (even here in North Carolina)

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Brightman posted:

So I should move to NC? Because I'm not finding anything here.

Raleigh is a bit ahead of the unemployment curve, although NC on the whole is behind -- but I think hiring (and recruiting, fully funded co-op programs, etc) are few and far between. While it would make some sense, I haven't heard anything about the market rate for software people backsliding.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I've never seen anyone that accepted a counteroffer last more than a few months.

I've observed largely the opposite. It's not treated as an unseemly thing at all when they want to retain you.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!
Job Title: Software Engineer

Who we are:
IBM (WebSphere Application Server development specifically)

Job Details:
Level 3 support and development of (mostly) java middleware. Some native middleware (web / proxy servers) opportunities
in the area as well. Writing and maintaining automated tests.

Who We Are Looking For:
Driven entry level candidates with a background in java.

Skills: Java, J2EE technologies, C is a plus. Marginally more programming notches on your belt than what's been dictated by coursework.

Other Requirements: GPA 3.0+

Why would you want to work here?
This is a demanding job, and is primarily maintenance / L3 support (our final tier of support where suspected defects from
the field are routed) until you build skills, which is a turn-off to some. Not a lot of glamour. Some opportunities to work
on some OSS on IBM's dime. Fun if you lean more towards working on the plumbing rather than HTML5.

(spreadsheet updated, contact me at address listed there if you want to discuss)

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Space Whale posted:

Seems a bit odd - or is it just me?

Didn't Heavens Gate do web design and IT work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

it is posted:

There is a greater than 95% chance that this is referring to help paying for the medication(s) your doctor(s) prescribe(s) you

Separate from having fun with the unconventional way it's phrased, "Health / Medical Care / Prescription Drugs" is a weird enumeration.