Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baalzamonbarnes
Mar 20, 2004

dirty internet pirate
I just lost my job, but have been trying to break into some form of IT or computer work anyways as retail management doesn't challenge me in the right way. Ideally I would like to get into Network/Systems administration and/or security, but I need more IT experience and training first and am (slowly) working on my degree.

My experience: 4 years intermittent experience installing and maintaining a large variety of electronic equipment, computers, and basic networks in a small office and retail store setting, in between clerical/customer service/management tasks. A+/Network+/Security+. Professional experience in MS Office, Quickbooks Pro, and basic Windows Server/Exchange administration. Familiarity with C/C++, PHP, SQL, HTML. Starting to learn RoR. Windows/OS X/UNIX/Linux experience.
What I'm looking for: Entry level IT or Helpdesk, entry level web development, paid intern, or any job with computers.
What I'm NOT looking for: Retail, but I'm open to suggestions.
Where I live: San Francisco Bay Area (Marin)
Where I'm looking: California, but I'm willing to consider relocation if it's worth it.
When I can start: Today.
Requirements: Full time. Preferably with benefits.
Can be reached via: PM, email link in profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baalzamonbarnes
Mar 20, 2004

dirty internet pirate

brc64 posted:

Any tips? Are the job searches directly linked to your connections, meaning the more connections I make, the better search results I get?

I don't know too much about it, but afaik the searches aren't related to your connections. It's more that having more connections and recommendations from other people makes the people posting the jobs more likely to look at your application.

That's why you'll see stuff like this:

It's supposed to be a more automated networking tool, so you can get connected with employers based on connections through people you know and what they say about you without having to have them formally introduce you.

It seems pretty nice, but the caveat is that you need to know a bunch of people (or at least one I guess) who are also on LinkedIn and are willing to update their page and give you recommendations so you seem legit and not like some crazy person on the internet.