Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My Experience: A Decade of GIS Fieldwork, several years of frontline support and service at an Apple Store, some other stuff. More importantly...
My Education: A Bachelors in Computer Programming and Information Systems (emphasis on the second half) that I went back to school for starting in 2020, and will be finishing in May.
Where I Live: Long Island, NY
Where I'm Looking: Basically anywhere. If the position is local or remote, I can start in January, otherwise, I have few ties here and can move nearly anywhere in May/June.
When Can I Start: January or May depending on job location/ hours flexibility. My final semester is only 2 courses.

What I'm Looking For: Entry level computer touching; generalist networking, helpdesk (not customer facing), or operations side IT is ideal. I can program some, but am not really looking for software dev roles. I vastly prefer configuring things or troubleshooting and fixing things to building things. I really am looking for a role where I can learn a lot more than anything specific.
Requirements: No short term contracts.

My coursework has been heavy on networking, windows administration, SQL/Database work, and project management/systems design, with a few courses touching ERP and Virtualizaiton/Cloud stuff. I also have a pretty extensive personal experience working with Mac stuff.

Also, open to any internship/co-op opportunities for Jan-May if you've got 'em.

I have PM's, or you can email 8nlzxtiw@duck.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Giganticon posted:

I am hoping for some general advice from some sympathetic professionals.

So my sister has had a rough few years, her husband hosed off to Belize with some lady, leaving my sister with their two kids, one severely handicapped. she has been supporting all of them but had to stop working when he left. I'm doing real well and supported them for a bit, Oregon aid was generous and useful regarding helping her son. Our dad died and we got some.generational wealth transfer which took the pressure off further. She now owns a house in a fair neighborhood and can ride out the next few years before she has to go back to work. With this opportunity she was hoping to change careers.

She had been most recently a project manager for a construction supply firm, but has done many other things. Her plan now is to take this time and money and learn coding so she can hopefully by the time her daughter starts highschool she can be working somewhere in the CS space. She's not starting school directly at the bottom, she has a bachelor's degree in economics and communications, but no real computer stuff.

So where she is is presumably where many offers you were 10,15 years ago - taking some community college classes to see if she likes and could be good at it.

So my question for you all is if you were starting over today what would you focus on? What of these skills /classes can turn into money at the end? Any tips you would give yourself? What credentials are actually respected? Do you need a full BS in CS or are there other paths to employment? What skills do employers want? I and she would.apreciate any advice y'all have.

Honestly, if she likes Project Management and just wants to pivot into tech, a code bootcamp (or self-study through one of the hundreds of "Learn 2 Programmer" websites/youtube courses/books/whatever) might be the right call here, to get her up to speed with a new technical field to which she can apply the skills she already has.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Same here. Good luck, tokin opposition.

Not Tokin, but also applied when I saw that listing. I did not get this email! Fingers crossed.