Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Ohhh Fun.

I've got an interesting position I'm looking to fill.

Who we are: Freeverse, INC. One of the top iPhone Game Developers
Where we are: New York City (Brooklyn) and the rest of the world

---

Job title: Contract Programer for odds and ends

What we want: We are at the top of the iPhone dev market right now. We get thrown a lot of contract work that we sadly have to turn down due to our programers being maxed out. We are looking for a person or team who we can send contract work to. We've had to turn down a lot of high profile work on Movie properties, large high profile apps and such. Finding a person or a team in NYC would be great, but it's not necessary. We have people who work with us all over the world. You have to be extremely self motivated and able to think on your own. We move extremely fast and need someone who can take initiative. You must know Obj-C, C++ and OpenGL. You must be available to work standard work hours (so anyone looking to pick up stuff on the weekends need not apply).

This is not a permanent gig, it's would be paid per job. But we have no shortage of work for 2009. You must be able to supply me with a working application and source code for evaluation. You must have an Intel Mac with OS X 10.5 and must use Xcode. No Unity apps allowed.

Pay is based on complexity of the application and the speed it can get done. But we pay very well. Recent/Upcoming College grads are more than welcome to apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

take boat posted:

If I've developed iPhone apps but have no C++/OpenGL experience, would it be a waste of time to apply?

No, we've had several people who really only had XNA as experience. It transfers over nicely. It's more what language do you work in?

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Hiring In: Brooklyn (DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights Area) NYC

Who we are: Freeverse INC, now a part of ngmoco:)

What we do: We make iPhone games.

Looking For: A Database & Engineer Rockstar

We're looking for a certain type of engineer. One that knows SQL extremely well, knows how to write front-ends in PHP and/or Ruby to allow an application to interact with said SQL database, get Apache running and performing admirably, and ideally, this engineer has some C/C++/Obj-C chops to help out with said applications.

Basically, a database rockstar with some coder thrown in the mix.

One thing that is important, we really need someone who meets our exact criteria. So if you are good at C#, .NET and Java, but have none of the other skills, sorry. This is a very vital job we are looking to fill.

So! You, the rockstar in question, should be able to:

- Setup MySQL servers, located onsite, offsite, wherever.

- Optimize queries for maximum efficiency and speed.

- Create frontend bits via PHP and/or Rails to allow an application to communicate with the database.

- Understand SQL load banacing, mirroring, and know how to scale a database when needed.

- Setup Apache and get it running at optimum efficiency.

- Have a bit of C/C++/Objective-C experience, and the drive to learn more.

- Take ownership of these databases and related duties, and ensure they're working as well as possible.

Ideally, your background includes experience with:

- Doing all of the above professionally.

- Asynchronous database transactions of course, and some real-time database transactions as well.

- Real-time network coding (C/C++/Obj-C).

- Working with a team.

- Working under pressure.

Benefits:
• It's a game company. So no shoes or pants required. No horrible IT policies.
• Health & Dental (We just changed over, not sure about Optical)
• Commuter Stuff (Comes out before taxes, but you pay for your metro card)
• Flexible work environment. What this means is, as your boss, I can approve vacation time/whatever as you need it. Technically on paper we have an allotment of days, but the real mantra is "get your poo poo done, and you can take the time you need"
• Office Pinball, Videogames & cat and dog.
• Unhealthy and Healthy drink and snack options stocked every week.
• Some other stuff about purchasing company hardware and what not.

So we really need to fill this job asap. We have this posting out in a few places. I don't think we have any relocation funds available. We are trying to hire in the NYC/New Jersey area.

Most of the work will take place on Servers located somewhere out in the cloud (ngmoco HQ). But we need this person in the office, sorry. You don't have to actually have any game experience, but it's a major plus. Nor do you need any actual iPhone experience, but the more familiar you are with the device, even from a personal level the better.

If you are interested, send me a resume, bruce@freeverse.com (my name is Bruce Morrison so you don't have to address stuff to "Mr. Hippieman"). I'll try to forward any resumes that meet the criteria to the top of the stack. No promises.

Also, what's the pay? I actually don't know. But it will be competitive for both the industry and living and working in NYC (which can be a bitch).

Our address for those wanting to google map the area:
45 Main Street STE 506
Brooklyn, NY 11201

We are very close to the F, A/C and 2/3 trains. For what it's worth, I live in Jersey City and it takes me maybe 20 mins to get to work.

Lastly, can someone nuke my old entry on the front page in place of this one?

We filled the position.

hippieman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 22, 2010

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

mrmcd posted:

Some good friends of mine are looking to hire a Ruby/RoR developer. Manhattan, NY.

link: http://blog.skillslate.com/2010/05/looking-for-ruby-developer.html

Email the above address, or you can respond to me via PM and I'll pass your info on.

I have discovered that there are no Ruby developers in Manhattan.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Got a new job opening.

Who we are: Freeverse INC, now a part of ngmoco:)

Freeverse, developers and publishers of awesome titles such as Skee-Ball, Flick Fishing & Top Gun for iPhone & iPad, Marathon: Durandal for Xbox Live Arcade and Wingnuts 2 & Burning Monkey Solitaire for Mac, and winners of multiple Apple Design Awards, are looking for a certain someone to fill a unique position.

Looking For: a 70/30 Game Tester and IT. It is primarily a Game Testing position. The majority of the time it will be 70/30 - but depending on what's happening on a given day, this can swing to 30/70, 80/10, 100/0, 0/100, etc. The position will kick off on a 2-month contract, and for the right candidate it will become a full-time position.

You, the applicant, should be:

- Able to communicate well, both written and in-person.

- Able to commit to a Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm schedule, with occasional late days when needed.

- Able to handle a bit of grueling repetition.

Game Testing duties and requisites include:

- Testing games, of course! You'll be helping test out a slew of new mobile games - seeing where things go out of sync, making sure rules and order-of-operations are adhered to, looking for graphic glitches, etc.

- Writing brief reports on bugs that you encounter.

- You should be able to accurately describe a bug, either technically or in plain English. That is, you should have spotted at least three or four bugs in retail games you've purchased, and can complain about them in enough detail for someone else to understand.

Where it gets interesting is the IT side. Ready?

Requisites include, but are in no way limited to, the following:

- You have experience with OS X Server, and the major services included.

- You have experience with SVN.

- You've managed a small business network, including routing, switching, WAN troubleshooting, LAN troubleshooting, printers, firewalls, etc.

- You know your way drat well around Mac OS X, Windows Vista and 7. You can also get a good bit done using command line interfaces, especially under OS X.

- You know how to setup, search and change a MySQL database either via command line or GUI tools.

- You know the difference between a "MAC" and a "Mac".

- You know the difference between "dig" and "Digg".

Still with me? OK!

- You know what IMAP, Apache, CalDAV, FTP, SSL, SSH, XML and VPN are, and can explain each, ideally with an example or two from your personal or professional experiences.

- You know the difference between CAT-5 and CAT-6 Ethernet cable. In fact, maybe you've rolled your own cable.

- You're not afraid of getting underneath desks to run power, network and other cables.

- You can troubleshoot a Mac. Deeply. You should know what "Repair Permissions" does and does not do, what "GUID Partition Table" means, what a plist is, how to chmod, etc.

- Manuals? You don't need no stinkin' manuals. But you read them anyway.

- You can follow direction to the letter.

- You're graceful under pressure.

- You're not afraid to ask for help.

Something to note before applying, to save you some time: I have an itchy Delete key finger, so your materials (intro letter, résumé, whatever) *should represent your ability to handle the IT side.* I'm not looking for professional experience at a Fortune 500 company with a giant Cisco network - at the same time, being able to hook your Xbox 360 to your router doesn't impress. You don't have to know how to code. Experience with Tomcat or .NET is irrelevant.

What I'm getting at is, amount of professional experience is negligible - you should know if you can handle the above. If you can't, this isn't right for you.

If you're up for it though, drop me a line: newjob@freeverse.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Benefits: (if you are hired on full time)
• It's a game company. So no shoes or pants required. No horrible IT policies.
• Health & Dental (We just changed over, not sure about Optical)
• Commuter Stuff (Comes out before taxes, but you pay for your metro card)
• Flexible work environment. What this means is, as your boss, I can approve vacation time/whatever as you need it. Technically on paper we have an allotment of days, but the real mantra is "get your poo poo done, and you can take the time you need"
• Office Pinball, Videogames & cat and dog.
• Unhealthy and Healthy drink and snack options stocked every week.
• Some other stuff about purchasing company hardware and what not.

Also, what's the pay? I actually don't know. But it will be competitive for both the industry and living and working in NYC (which can be a bitch).

Our address for those wanting to google map the area:
45 Main Street STE 506
Brooklyn, NY 11201

We are very close to the F, A/C and 2/3 trains. For what it's worth, I live in Jersey City and it takes me maybe 20 mins to get to work.

Ok I (Hippieman) didn't write any of that above. Don't yell at me. This is an ideal job for an entry level just out of college person. THe idea is if we get the right person they will move out of the QA stuff and into IT/Operations. If we get the wrong person, they might become a QA person.

If you apply, drop me an email bruce@freeverse.com so I can make sure it won't get nuked without getting in the pile. (I'm not doing the hiring on this letting someone else handle that).

hippieman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Got a new job opening, Game Server Engineer.

Who we are: Freeverse INC, now a part of ngmoco:) who is now owned by DeNA

Freeverse, developers and publishers of awesome titles such as Skee-Ball, Flick Fishing & Top Gun for iPhone & iPad, Marathon: Durandal for Xbox Live Arcade and Wingnuts 2 & Burning Monkey Solitaire for Mac, and winners of multiple Apple Design Awards, are looking for a certain someone to fill a unique position.

Looking For: A server engineer who can create, and manage game servers to support millions of users. Create web-based management tools to admin these games. Can think creatively, and can think like a gamer.

Our primarily language is Ruby, but PHP is thrown into the mix a lot. And an understanding of SQL is vital.

After working with a few engineers, it's important you understand "game" logic and understand that a "game" way to do something isn't always the proper way, but it's the fun way.

Requirements: This is going to be cutthroat. We are really looking for an excellent engineer. Originally we were only looking for Ruby engineers, but instead we need someone who can adapt to multiple languages. You don't have to be a Ruby guy, as long as you can code.

We are mostly looking for experience over education. If you have experience with systems with hundreds of thousands of users, we are looking for you.

Other things to know: As a game company we often don't keep normal hours. We start the day at 10 AM, but we might stay until 11 PM on a deadline. We might work weekends. But we work in our socks. We work in small teams and dedication to the project and company are vital.

Benefits: Great Medical and Dental. Commuter Check, 401k, Stock Options, great vacation plans (very flexible, you get your poo poo done is all we require). Fully stocked kitchen, company outings, office library of games. Cutting edge software and hardware to work with. Also, pets in the office. Company iPhone.

For full details go here: http://www.authenticjobs.com/jobs/7338

If you do apply, drop me a line bruce at freeverse dot com. And I'll make sure your resume makes it into the good stack.

Honestly, if you are looking to get out of the Banking or Medical or whatever field and get into games, it's an exciting time. We are very aggressive in this market, and we pay our employees to reflect our aggressive approach. In 2010 we released 20 iPhone titles, there are only 24 people in the office.