Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Novo posted:

Will be required to my sentences for me.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Robert Half specifically get called out in the Working in IT thread as being a complete waste of space unable to read resumes when proposing people for positions, they instead take an approach similar to throwing poo poo at a wall.

Incidentally, that's probably a better thread to ask in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's pretty much the only field I could ever tolerate being at work effectively 24/7. I don't think it would be possible to resent going into work when work is an F1 team.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also do you really want to be trying to craft a software package to talk to an undocumented black box that could change at any point? Because you're still relying on whatever poo poo is running on the DVR box.

I'd possibly look to building your own PC-based DVRs to work with IP cameras running Milestone or Zone Minder depending on budgets. Or try and find a Chinese DVR manufacturer that doesn't use terrible software (trick question, there aren't any).

I think trying to roll your own client software to talk to an undocumented system will eat more cash than you'd ever make reselling what are more than likely cheap low end units.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Happy(ish) with my current position, not so happy with the company. Not actively looking yet, but would be interested in talking about potential positions.

My experience: 7 years in IT covering helpdesk, SMB jack-of-all-trades stuff, Systems Administrator in an education environment (dealing with everything from procurement, networking, AD, software deployment etc.), now consulting for SME customers in Mac/AD integration, small VMware cluster projects, MDM deployments, Office 365 migrations etc.

What I'm looking for: An internal role in a place with larger budgets than those who use consultants to do their IT work for them. I'd like to get more into virtualization and networking, anywhere that would assist me working towards a VCP / CCNA would be great.

Where I'm looking: Currently work inside zone 1 in London, wouldn't want to change that.

Where I live: About a 40 minute commute away

When I can start: I want to get to October/November time before I give up on the current position, that marks a year since we were acquired and is a good indication of whether things are going to improve.

What are my requirements: Full time, pay and benefits in line with the rest of this city

Can be reached via: PM, or reply and I'll email you

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh I thought that was a joke posting

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm obviously not sure but I don't think that forums username @aol.com is anything other than a throwaway account for use on here. I could be wrong.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds more like a cult than a job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of misconfigured WP Engine HTTPS sites I've seen...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nightcrawler was meant to disturb you, not give you ideas

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

F - General strike

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Friend of mine ended up working at the British Antarctic Survey for a season. Before that he was an engineer in the merchant navy, if you want to know what sort of roles they recruit from.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Being evil and picking 192.168.1.255 as your default gateway and hiding the subnet mask in a really small label on a network diagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Company got bought, been there 10 years and wow the job market has changed for the worse in nearly every way. Any tips for a 40-something IT manager? i'm a bit baffled as to where to go from here as Linkedin is a cesspool and Indeed doesn't understand the words you put in search

Look for a role being the head of a small IT department at a non-tech company where you have options to do a lot but can also sub a lot of things out. My mate does that sort of role for a company that distributes stuff for people who own horses and he's been there nearly 20 years now, horse people are loaded so it's recession-proof and there's some proper IT happening there.