Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Boy, this Funke is all anybody's ever talking about!
Edit: Job found.

Poops McGee fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Poops McGee fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 21, 2010

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Looking for a new job.

My experience: Just over 3 years of IT Security. I was an analyst at Secureworks, I administered security devices (IPS). Worked with clients to solve their needs, be it troubleshooting, analysis, threat intelligence or a reporting issue. I have experience working with a wide swathe of the IT infrastructure, from grunts to admins to the VP of IT. I also analyzed a lot of security events! I have BS in "Applied Networking and Systems Administration" with a focus in network security from RIT.
What I'm looking for: I would prefer to join an existing Security Operations team at the Senior Analyst level, although in my experience the responsibilities of this title differ greatly between organizations. I would like to provide a team with the experience I have in working in a large Security Operations environment. Failing that, I would like to consider any other ITsec role, my experience is more specific to a SOC environment, but my education left me flexible for other roles.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk, entry level.
Where I live: Atlanta, GA.
Where I'm looking: Atlanta, GA. NYC. I would consider offers in other locations as well.
When I can start: Pretty much immediately.
Requirements: Health coverage.
Can be reached via: PM. devinlnewman at gmail dot com

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Quarantini posted:

I apologize if this isn't the place for this question but it seems on topic enough. I consider myself a pretty drat good IT guy. I am 24 and have held a paid technical position since I was 15 doing everything from desktop support to server management and deployment. My problem? I suck as college, I do great in all my tech classes but I don't have a math head and am struggling greatly both financially and academically to get my BA in information science. An option I have is to change my sights and shoot for an associates instead.

My question for you employers out there. Am I better off axing my current job, setting myself deeper into debt and figuring out how to get a BA, or cut my losses, get my associates and dive into certifications? I have a stacked resume of 4 two-year+ jobs where I was the sole IT guy at a couple businesses of varying sizes and complexity, plus some other odds and ends side jobs, with letters of recommendation to match.

BA of information sciences? Shouldn't that be a BS? I didn't really have to do too much math to get my BS in Applied Networking and Sys Admin (focused in security) - maybe you should be looking for a program more like that?

I would probably go for the associates and certifications. People will be suspicious, but you do have an associates and a theoretical plethora of certs. That should get your foot in the door to blow them away in the interview. Is it really worth more debt to be not much better off? People aren't going to give you interviews just because you have a BA. You will need the certs anyway. Why not buckle down and get really dirty with some tough certifications for what you want to do. Take it from being a server manager to "I loving RULE RED HAT" or similar.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

There must be something like a campus tutor you can go to get some help. I'd do that before giving up and getting an associates, just don't let it get you down. Once you get through that, the amount of math you will regularly apply is pretty minimal.

However, the better you are at math the more money you are likely to make, this is true for our field as well. Eventually you are going to get to the point where you are doing reporting and other mgmt stuff, you will need to be able to do stats for that. What is good about discrete and stats is the necessary fundamentals are fairly slim compared to calc III. While your lower education clearly left you lacking, its nothing you can't make up. Can you handle binary for networking? You should really strive to get at least that down.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Desktop Support...Engineer?

I wasn't aware troubleshooting to success qualified as engineering. Let me guess - salary employment and expectations but hourly job duties?

Sounds like HR doublespeak to get around overtime pay requirements for "non-exempt" employees if I have ever heard it.

I can't wait until 5 years from now when these positions go to interns who work for free in exchange for the 'experience'.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

MJP posted:

Okay, so while we're still hiring for the role at my job that's helpdesk/sysadmin, goons should be well advised that the new manager has a whiteboard which currently bears the following at the top, in red, for all to see:

(Emphasis in the original)

Goons be advised that while I'm more than happy to submit you, you'll have a boss who seriously and unironically does stuff like this. I leave that to you to judge for yourselves without comment from me. I'm available via email or PM if you have questions.

Wow, you should've posted that the first time - I wouldn't have bothered with my rant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

I've responded to all the emails I have received, although none of them had anything to do with this thread