Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

jstirrell posted:

My Experience: No relevant work experience really. As for non-relevant work I've done everything from telemarketing to restaurant and warehouse work. I have a decent grasp of python and Java, and I'm starting to familiarize myself with C++. I'm ok with html/CSS.

What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything I can learn from. I will work for cheap and strongly consider working for free on an interesting project.

Where I'm looking: My travel is restricted to Rhode Island, so I can only actually physically show up to a place there, but I'd be willing telecommute or do stuff online.

Contact jjttjj@gmail.com or PM me.

I'm not trying to be smug but consider working on a name brand open source project. Pick something like Apache/Firefox/MySQL or something and just help close up bugs.

Download the source, look at the list of open bugs, keep reading the source code and docs till you think you know whats wrong and submit a patch. If the docs dont match the source code send a patch for them.

From a hiring point of view I love people who have done that sort of stuff because it means they are a) smart enough to be given a huge source tree and go off and read it till they understand it, and b) are actually interested in programming to the point they do it in their spare time, as those people are generally good programmers.

Do this while you're at uni for a few years and stick it on your CV. Be sure to pick a big project that most people will recognize. Expect it to take you 3-6 months before you can do anything of use. You will learn a lot, and once you submit a few good patches the developers are usually happy to spend time explaining things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Hi

My friend (not me) is looking for a RoR dev for something that may well end up open source. The pay is negotiable. It's a community sharing type site, he has a fairly clear idea of what he wants with wireframes/mockups etc. That is about all I know, you can get more details from him by sending a mail to dani.mcgoo@gmail.com with your cv and some samples.

It would be a plus if you are in Sydney, Australia but if not might still be ok, send him a mail and find out.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 16, 2011