Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avagar
Dec 5, 2005

Uncle Sam is Pissed. Probably because of something you did.
Are you an Pro-Am IT guy looking for some real-world experience?

I'm looking to hire an IT intern/assistant/apprentice in the fall.

Who we are: Ala Carte Entertainment - http://www.aceplaces.com Don't apply online, just contact me at my email below

Location: Corporate Office in Schaumburg, IL, about 28 other locations spread from Downtown Chicago to Fox Lake/McHenry

What we do: Food, Booze, and Fun, and lots of it. We own and operate over 28 nightclubs, bars and restaurants in the Chicagoland area, and we're expanding every year. We do almost everything in-house: IT, Advertising, Marketing, PR, Construction, Video Production, DJs, you name it.

The Position: Assist me, the IT Director, with keeping the digital end of this show on the road. We have over 250 computers, 40 printers, a dozen servers, and a vast network of encrypted tunnels linking each location. Hours are flexible.

The IT department is well, just me, and I can't be everywhere at once, and I need some help making sure nothing falls through the cracks. You won't get bored, as something new is always happening and there are new fires to put out every day, sometimes literally.

NOTE: As this starts out as in internship, the pay is low, comically low, but we can work out mileage reimbursement, and you'll get more practical training than you ever thought you could. And if you prove yourself useful/indespensible, the position could become permanent, with real hourly pay.

Requirements:

- A car would be really helpful. It's not an absolute requirement, but it adds a ton of points in your favor if you do.

- The ability to give helpful, friendly tech support to complete idiots over the phone and in person, and never seem like a spergin' jackass, even if you are. (We only have a couple idiots, most are reasonably good with PCs, but good manners and frustration management are important)

- The ability to come up with inventive solutions to problems. This is not a company that solves it's IT problems by mindlessly throwing piles of money at it. I wish we were, but there is a lot of pushing systems and existing tech to it's limit here. I need MacGyver types, who can see the difference between a cheap fix and a half-assed solution, and when to go with either.

- Be a pro-am IT guy. Are you the guy that your friends come to when they have screwed up your PCs? Wanna make some money off of all that grief? And you don't have all those fancy-pants certifications? Screw it, you don't need 'em right now. We can't afford another fully trained/licensed tech anyway, but we can teach you a ton through real-life problem-solving and research!

- We have a 15-20% Mac population in our company. You will have to deal with them. If you're not into Macs, and are a PC fanboy, move on. Same goes for only-Mac people. I have no time to deal with OS fanboy bullshit.

Knowledge of the following:

Basic tech support for PCs AND Macs. Know Windows XP and Mac OS X.

Know a little about Windows servers.

HTML/PHP/SQL Knowledege? - drat, that'd be helpful. If not, you can learn.

Email me at mike_chambers AT mac.com if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU