Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

For what it's worth, I'm a senior level-ish Windows/Azure/VMware/Terraform/IAM Engineer that got laid off from a large firm last year and just started looking for work after taking a year off after traveling overseas. I only seriously started looking for a new gig in February and I've got a lot of ups and downs. I am getting a decent amount of interviews, passing the HR part, doing well on the Tech part but I'm getting things like they don't have the budget, hiring freeze for the quarter or we really, really, like you but we're going with other candidates please try again. My LinkedIn used to be getting hit up way, way more especially last year often but down much more now.

Part of the reason that it's difficult is I'm looking for stuff that's in the PST Timezone and I feel like this market is saturated but I'm going to keep hacking at it for a while before I move for a job.

Edit - I went back and looked at my LinkedIn. I applied for 18 positions today after crawling through openings this whole afternoon. I'm pretty confident I can do the gigs and match a majority of the requirements. I'll update this later with how that turns out.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dirty Beluga posted:

Not contrarian at all! it's good to hear someones having luck - I'm also in the NYC area, been using https://www.builtinnyc.com poking around in my network, going directly to employers websites... not much luck. If you can share some of the resources you've utilizes (recruiters, smaller job boards, etc) and help out a local goon my family and I would appreciate it!

edit: cross post from the resume thread if an anonymized resume is helpful
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dA3qr7aAhkfZ2tCvF_6AtAw76vVWn-JI/view?usp=sharing

My experience is roughly the same as yours if a bit more identity focused but I am looking for something on the West Coast or PST. I had one interview last week, sent out over a dozen application and I hope something bits :smith:

How did you anonymize your resume?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My experience: 10+ Years on the "Wintel" Stack supporting every type of small business or large company with Windows Clients / Windows Server - AD, DNS, DHCP, ADFS, Hyper-V, GPOs. File Shares, etc. and the PowerShell to go along with all of it. Well versed with Azure including IaaS, VM Migrations, Terraform, VNets, various PaaS Services, RBAC Permissions, etc. Experienced with Entra ID CA, MFA, PIM, etc. and with SaaS Applications OIDC/SAML. Some background with Linux, IBM midrange systems and novice JavaScript development.
What I'm looking for: Senior System Admin, IAM Engineer, Cloud Engineer, etc.
What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk or Sales. Not interested in East Coast or East Coast TZ unless you pay me a lot.
Where I live: Las Vegas, NV
Where I'm looking: Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas or Fort Lauderdale.
When I can start: Two Weeks
Requirements: ~$120k/y with benefits
Can be reached via: PM

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 17, 2024