Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You can use cut bamboo instead of live bamboo. I build bamboo trellises for all of my climbers, and they last for several years before needing to be rebuilt. Live plants fall down or get tangled with the vines.

Do this or some other dead trellis method. Building living trellises sounds like fun until the beans are dragging down your stalks in a storm and you don't have a wind break and whoops everything is laying on the ground in a pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah its mostly a space thing I think, but I dont have a ton of space.

What I've read about sunflowers online says they get pulled down pretty easily so dont work well.

I dont hate future me enough to try bamboo, lol

I had success with pole beans and mammoths, but I had the stake those anyway so it was a bit redundant. Cukes might be a problem weight-wise.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah just keeping the fruit and leaves off the ground is very helpful -- cukes are thin-skinned and their leaves love to get powdery mildew/rot/etc, so anything that stops their leaves from getting wet when you water and having soil splash on them helps a ton

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Atahualpa posted:

Well, it's a work in progress, but here's what I've got now:

Left planter: lavender, mistflower (not yet blooming), lantana (blooming but you can't really see it here), and meadow sage. Pretty happy with this one.
Right planter: gaillardia, cineraria, and gerbera daisies. Probably will switch some of this out at some point; I originally intended to go with coneflowers instead of the daisies, and the cineraria is looking shaggy these days and was always meant to be a temporary placeholder.
Ground: Euryops, jasmine vine #1, coleus+jasmine vine #2, dwarf bottlebrush, and garden pansies to the right of the shelf.
Shelf: Oregano, thyme, spider plant.

I have an eastward-facing balcony that gets full sun all morning, and in the summer here it regularly gets up to 100+ degrees for 3-4 months straight while rarely dropping below 80 at night. My balcony avoids the worst of the afternoon sun heat but is concrete and frequently gets around 120 degrees when it's 100+ out according to the cheap thermometer in the picture.

Primary question: are there any of these I should plan to bring inside or take other measures to protect before we hit summer weather? I'm guessing I'll at least have to move the pansies, cineraria, and euryops.

Secondary question: any particular care advice for any of these? When and if to prune, fertilize, etc. I already messed up some things last year out of ignorance (e.g., the coleus, which was a gift and used to be much bushier with beautiful foliage), and while I've been doing more research this time around and have a clipboard with care instructions for each plant, any advice is welcome.
I don't have any advice about the care questions, but thank you for sharing the pic. Those look awesome, and I'm glad they have a lovely view, plus a cat helper. :3:

GlyphGryph posted:

Whats are some good plant to grow to use as a trellis for beans and cucumbers? I have heard corn suggested, but would like to consider other options. Zone 6b, for what that's worth.

Do you think Dogbane would work as a trellis plant, actually? That would be quite convenient.
There's a reason corn is the usual suggestion for a living trellis here. The only other reliable options I've encountered in this zone are trees and shrubs, which take a while to get big enough if you don't already have ones of sufficient size. If none of those options appeal, making non-living trellises is pretty simple. Depending on how big the climbers get, sometimes you can get away with just driving a stake in the ground or leaning it on something sturdy like a fence. I've had some morning glories, snap peas, and other things travel all the way up the stakes and then along my fence before, lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Growing cucumbers on a trellis also makes for straighter and more visually appealing fruit, if that's something you are after. The effect is more pronounced on long varieties, but it is still very helpful if you were growing cucumbers to pickle since you can more easily pack straight fruit into jars.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Jhet posted:

Do this or some other dead trellis method. Building living trellises sounds like fun until the beans are dragging down your stalks in a storm and you don't have a wind break and whoops everything is laying on the ground in a pile.

I've tried sunflowers and maize and even crouching there in the rain screaming THIS IS WHAT PILGRIMS DID at the sky didn't save my early attempts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I run my cucumbers single stem on strings and I won't ever do it any other way. When something sneaks through and grows on the ground the fruit quality is vastly inferior. Compared to before I started doing it this way I also have far less mould and pest problems because I can trim away dead and dying leaves and keep good air flow around the plants.

I've done this with 4 different varieties and it has never presented a problem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Atahualpa posted:

Well, it's a work in progress, but here's what I've got now:

I have an eastward-facing balcony that gets full sun all morning, and in the summer here it regularly gets up to 100+ degrees for 3-4 months straight while rarely dropping below 80 at night. My balcony avoids the worst of the afternoon sun heat but is concrete and frequently gets around 120 degrees when it's 100+ out according to the cheap thermometer in the picture.

Primary question: are there any of these I should plan to bring inside or take other measures to protect before we hit summer weather? I'm guessing I'll at least have to move the pansies, cineraria, and euryops.
First, that's absolutely exquisite and inviting, well done.

Pansies aren't perennials, and in anything but the most moderate of climates they'll stop blooming when the temperature rises. I used to live in the South, where they were winter landscaping, and you pulled them out and threw them away at roughly azalea season. Just enjoy them now and treat them as disposable. The cineraria need to come inside. I've never grown euryops, but Dr. Google says they love hot weather.

If it were me, I'd seriously consider putting up temporary shadecloth on the balcony around May or so. If you can, leave it up in the morning and evening, and down during the worst of the afternoon sun. It won't help with the air temperature, but it will help with the solar gain on the concrete.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I used a branch I cut while trimming my peach tree as a temporary fence post to protect the stawberrries.

It is doing this now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Well, I guess you have a new friend now.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My daughter had to take a botany class as part of her degree and didn’t want or appreciate any of it. She didn’t keep enough class material for me to piggy back off of and she threw away all her cuttings the instant each assignment was over.

This made me sad, but to each their own and I love my baby very much

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, I guess you have a new friend now.

I don't know if it's worth trying to actually plant it. Isn't peach rootstock selected for pest and disease resistance, so trying to grow straight from the graft a bad idea?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't know if it's worth trying to actually plant it. Isn't peach rootstock selected for pest and disease resistance, so trying to grow straight from the graft a bad idea?

I for one don’t oppose bad garden ideas

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I guess worst case the free tree doesn't make it lol

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Shifty Pony posted:

I used a branch I cut while trimming my peach tree as a temporary fence post to protect the stawberrries.

It is doing this now.

All of the trouble people have rooting peach cuttings and you just loving stick it in the dirt and get blooms (and presumably roots?) :pwn:

Shifty Pony posted:

Peaches are often OK or at least not terrible on their own roots, grafting onto a random seedling was not an uncommon practice until surprisingly recently.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Discussion Quorum posted:

All of the trouble people have rooting peach cuttings and you just loving stick it in the dirt and get blooms (and presumably roots?) :pwn:

Welcome to the world of live staking :)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i similarly stuck some pruned peach branches in the ground and they fully flowered and now have leafed, but last time i checked had zero roots at all so i'm just kinda hoping they decide to root eventually

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I understand it's quite a long shot but I've wasted time on dumber garden things.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Average last frost here is April 15. Looking at the forecast... I would be very surprised if I survive the weekend without putting out my tomatoes.

We're supposed to get graupel or some poo poo today and I still put out an African marigold because it was getting too big.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

goatse guy posted:

I don't really have any advice since my plants live in the ground rather than in pots, but wanted to say that this is a lovely little setup. It looks so serene and peaceful.

mischief posted:

Yeah, it sounds silly but I miss everything being smaller and well maintained and rewarding.

"Gardening" here now feels more like an outtake from Apocalypse Now most days.

That is a beautiful setup and I am a little jealous. :)

Orbs posted:

I don't have any advice about the care questions, but thank you for sharing the pic. Those look awesome, and I'm glad they have a lovely view, plus a cat helper. :3:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

First, that's absolutely exquisite and inviting, well done.

Pansies aren't perennials, and in anything but the most moderate of climates they'll stop blooming when the temperature rises. I used to live in the South, where they were winter landscaping, and you pulled them out and threw them away at roughly azalea season. Just enjoy them now and treat them as disposable. The cineraria need to come inside. I've never grown euryops, but Dr. Google says they love hot weather.

If it were me, I'd seriously consider putting up temporary shadecloth on the balcony around May or so. If you can, leave it up in the morning and evening, and down during the worst of the afternoon sun. It won't help with the air temperature, but it will help with the solar gain on the concrete.

:blush: Aw, thank you for all the kind words! I've been working on it in bits and pieces for a while as part of a larger project of trying to make my place feel like a home again after some major life disruptions a year ago that left me without much in the way of furniture/decor. Inviting, beautiful, and serene are exactly what I'm going for, so I'm glad it's hitting that way for others.

Thanks as well for the advice, AL. Not sure where I got the idea that the euryops prefer it cooler since everything I'm finding now suggests the opposite.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shifty Pony posted:

I understand it's quite a long shot but I've wasted time on dumber garden things.
Yeah it’s just the energy that was already stored in the branch doing what it was already about to do. It 95% won’t root and as soon as the leaves come out they’ll wilt in a few days when they run out of water. But it’s a pretty fence post!

I had two trays of roses cuttings do this one year (and they had even been stuck for a few weeks before they leafed out) and got so excited and then so disappointed when none of them had any roots at all.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Planted my basil seeds today! It's a week or so early, but I'm chancing it. I also put down some dwarf fernleaf dill seeds; I am pretty sure my volunteers are some kind of Dukat/Dwarf hybrid based on how big it's gotten so far (but with the ferny dwarf structure). I'll snip a leaf soon to see which one it tastes like.

My beets didn't have great germination success, so I've sowed more of those. It's been a month and each variety only had a 25% germination rate. Hopefully I'll get more soon.

My swiss chard is doing well; I except to have more than I need in a month.

I've had a few more carrots sprout, some in random spots (it was windy during sowing). Carrots come up on their own sweet time, so I am not overly concerned on those. It's like succession planting without having to sow a second round! (I have a few "It's January, I we'll sprout now?" carrots I sowed back in September that should be good to harvest in a few weeks.)

Just a few more weeks until cucumbers!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Went around the garden poking the ground with a thermometer and got low to mid 60s everywhere. Decided to say gently caress it and plant some poo poo.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Marigolds and basils went in today. Tomatoes go tomorrow.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

It’s happening.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

you're not gonna leave even a teeny little space for the cat to push its whiskers through the balcony fence and survey its domain?? or is there another, better vantage point for mr./ms. orange

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So we planted:

Black turtle beans
Provider green beans
Sugar snap peas
Cucumbers (pickling and slicing)
Bicolor corn

I trimmed down the clover which was acting as a cover a bit in the areas we planted, but i didn't get a chance to completely clear it out because we have a nearly 4yo who soaks up 99% of our time. I was thinking I would keep things manually trimmed back until the seeds spout, mulch about 4-6" on either side of the rows, and let the clover hang out as a living mulch other than that.

Bad idea? I intend to give the clover a haircut occasionally with the string trimmer, with the mulch giving a buffer to keep from putting the plants in too much danger.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

boofhead posted:

you're not gonna leave even a teeny little space for the cat to push its whiskers through the balcony fence and survey its domain?? or is there another, better vantage point for mr./ms. orange

Oh believe me, she finds a way. One of her favorite spots to hang out now is in the larger jasmine pot, where she either keeps an eye on people walking their dogs below, chitters at the birds on the feeder, or just curls up and enjoys the dirt.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Shifty Pony posted:

Funny thing considering I brought it up - when I tried to graft a nectarine onto Lovell rootstock, I kept the bit of rootstock I cut off and stuck it in a cup of coco coir, put it in a closet, and basically forgot about it for a month.

Last night I saw roots. Now I have a problem because I'm going to want to graft it and keep it. :v:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I'm very hype to see and share all of the plants of everyone experiencing spring, like I am right now. It's been raining so heavily that it's hard to get good pics recently, but I actually got a couple good ones of some tulips during the eclipse on Monday.

The white clover ground cover is coming in nicely in most places... mostly where I can clear the creeping charlie from coming back in time, lol

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

confused little guy thought he was outdoors

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The war against aphids is renewed. I always forget this is like 90% of tomato care.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is a good reminder to start doing some preventative neem spraying before all my poo poo is covered in leaf-footed bugs in may (gently caress leaf-footed bugs)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

freeedr posted:

confused little guy thought he was outdoors

Aww, as a big spider fan and a fellow confused little creature, I am rooting for him.

eke out posted:

this is a good reminder to start doing some preventative neem spraying before all my poo poo is covered in leaf-footed bugs in may (gently caress leaf-footed bugs)
Absolutely, thank you for the reminder. Neem oil is fantastic, cutting down on so many different diseases and pests.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Does neem work on true bugs? I thought their mode of feeding left them relatively resistant to neem, spinosad, anything short of contact pesticides really

Also I got into peaches impulsively this year before I realized what a pain they are in my climate. Between catfacing bugs, OFM, borers, and at least two generations of plum curculio, it looks like I'm going from "well I try not to spray anything stronger than BT unless I have to" to "say hello to my little friend [brandishes bottle of Sevin]"

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
For mulch I have the free option of shredded cardboard or wood chips. last year I did wood chips and they were fine, but just fine. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this choice?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Got the first plants in the ground yesterday, felt pretty good to do. Relocated all the lilies to elsewhere to prep the rest of the garden. I have no idea what I am doing and expect everything I tough to die, but it is what it is, and I'm hoping to be surprised.

Really wish I could find a decent gardening book that actually dig into the fundamentals to a level where I could feel like I understand what I'm doing, but all the ones I've found have, perhaps not surprisingly, been less than useless.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 14, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you contact your state's master gardener program they will likely be able to point you in the right direction.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That sounds like a fake thing you made up.

I mean I looked it up and my state absolutely has one, but it still sounds super fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My experience is if you have plants die it's because of not realizing how much water they really need or annoying pests.