Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

GlyphGryph posted:

That sounds like a fake thing you made up.

I mean I looked it up and my state absolutely has one, but it still sounds super fake

I got the guide from my state for $80. It doesn't go deep in anything (that's what the classes are for I guess) but it at least has answers for most things in your climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

:getin:

A lot of work ahead of me though! Going to do another levelling pass to get everything straightened out, and then I'll be putting together a concrete block raised bed on it. Should be awesome when it's ready to go though!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It also looks like my wine cap patch has failed. I really expected them to be fruiting by now. I am still hoping they are just taking a while to get started, but it's not looking good. First time trying to grow them and less than ideal conditions, so even though it was more "within my wheelhouse" than most of the garden will be, it's not terribly surprising. I'll probably dig a corner of the patch up to see what's happening under the surface and figure out whether to tear it up and replace it or something else.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

A lot of work ahead of me though! Going to do another levelling pass to get everything straightened out, and then I'll be putting together a concrete block raised bed on it. Should be awesome when it's ready to go though!

Needs more dirt. :v:

That looks awesome! That is almost exactly the size and type of garden I started with.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I put some strawberry plants in an outdoor planter last week and we're back to near freezing nighttime temps in the coming week. Should I worry? I've never done strawberries before.

I can drag the planter into the shed I guess.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Love that sound when I shove the dandelion extraction tool into the ground, apply torque, and there's a deep-in-the-Earth snap. Then a big fat long juicy root comes out. I've been dreaming about dandelions lately. I close my eyes and see them like when you stare at the Sun for too long. Kinda crazy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lpzie posted:

Love that sound when I shove the dandelion extraction tool into the ground, apply torque, and there's a deep-in-the-Earth snap. Then a big fat long juicy root comes out. I've been dreaming about dandelions lately. I close my eyes and see them like when you stare at the Sun for too long. Kinda crazy.

Do you eat em or just like weeding?

We have a billion of them but I only bother with the ones in my raised beds. I even let the ones in my paths live if they don't cross me.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

I put some strawberry plants in an outdoor planter last week and we're back to near freezing nighttime temps in the coming week. Should I worry? I've never done strawberries before.

I can drag the planter into the shed I guess.

Hmm. Yours might be more sensitive as babies trying to get established, but my strawberry plants survive some pretty severe overwintering no problem so I’d hope they were fine. They do always stop producing fruit for some time after they freeze. I also wouldn’t be sure re: different varieties of strawberry. Mine are some sort of everbearing. Though I do cover mine with leaves when it’s getting super frozen. Overall pretty hardy to a chill though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

freeedr posted:

Hmm. Yours might be more sensitive as babies trying to get established, but my strawberry plants survive some pretty severe overwintering no problem so I’d hope they were fine. They do always stop producing fruit for some time after they freeze. I also wouldn’t be sure re: different varieties of strawberry. Mine are some sort of everbearing. Though I do cover mine with leaves when it’s getting super frozen. Overall pretty hardy to a chill though.
Oh that's great, sounds like I'm not going to worry about it then. I've got a breadbin sized pvc greenhouse I can put over it to take the bite out of the wind. I only know tomatoes and peppers and they would be hosed. Super, thanks!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hoping the peppers I get do well this year! 🤞

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Do you eat em or just like weeding?

We have a billion of them but I only bother with the ones in my raised beds. I even let the ones in my paths live if they don't cross me.

I don't eat them. I'm kinda just enjoying the weeding, yeah. Good physical labor. Nice weather, good temperature, a cool wind, time with the dog. Just having a great time in general!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

I’m hoping this for you as well. I am growing shishito, jalapeño, and New Mexico chile (Big Jim and Chimayo heritage). I may throw in a habanero or cayenne or something for variety if I find an already-started one at the garden center.

I love growing peppers.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Lawman 0 posted:

Same, and same hope to everyone else's plants!

On my end, the chives I planted last spring are blossoming. I love chives so much.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got some Thai peppers and a Mexican chili cultivar, might get another though.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Every time I check the ten day forecast for the past few weeks it's perfect for 8 of the ten days and says it'll drop down into the 30s or 40s :negative:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

1.8 tons of concrete blocks delivered today. Surprisingly, moving them is significantly less tiring than doing half of the remaining levelling was. (I do have a hand truck though)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm trying to have a proper go at looking after my lawn this year rather than half arsing it like I've done before (like not aerating or adding lawn feed and maybe not putting enough new seed down etc).

Anyway, it's finally been dry enough for the first mow (im in the UK) and ice cut it short and given it a once over with the scarifier ice got.

It picked up a lot of thatch but there's still little thin clumps of it on top of the lawn where the machine hasn't picked it up. Not sure if I need to go all over it again to b make sure I get every last piece as I read that too much scarification can be bad for the lawn.

Anyway, the machine also has a blades aerator that I'm gonna use next before overseeding however I noticed a fair bit of moss throughout the lawn.

So what do I do at this stage? I went looking for a fertiliser to use after overseeding and found some miraclegro all in one, feed and weed/moss killer but it mentions the moss dying over weeks and then needing raked up.

After I aerate the lawn do I put something like that down then wait a few weeks before overseeding?

Or do I aerate, overseed and then put that stuff down at the same time?

Is that stuff the right thing I should use?

Also when it comes to overseeding how much seed do I put down? Should I be blanketing the lawn with it, for example, to the point where you can't see the exposed soil between the existing blades of grass?

And should I be covering the seeds up with other soil rather than just leaving them sitting on top of the aerated lawn?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm trying to get Toona Ciliata to germinate and I've had no luck so far.

I've got the seeds on the surface of some soil in tiny pots in a seedling box with grow lights. The box is sitting on a heating pad and is kept at around 28c and 100% humidity.

I've tried soaking the seeds, cold stratification, etc.

I think maybe gibberellic acid might help, but it's proving to be a real pain to get.

Has anyone had experience with either Toona Ciliata or gibberellic acid?

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 22, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How deep do most plants beed their roots to go? Any that work well in shallow soil? I have spots where I only have maybe six inches of dirt before hitting solid rock and am wondering if theres anything that will grow there. Might end up creating raised beds just so I can add more dirt since Im guessing thats not enough

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 21, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Three weeks of lows over 40°F.

loving DAY AFTER I plant the tomatoes, peppers, and tomatillos the weather forecast revises to 39°F and 38°F for the next two nights. Guess I'll put the blankets out...

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

How deep do most plants beed their roots to go? Any that work well in shallow soil? I have spots where I only have maybe six inches of dirt before hitting solid rock and am wondering if theres anything that will grow there. Might end up creating raised beds just so I can add more dirt since Im guessing thats not enough

I’ve grown lots of herbs, lettuce, green onion, garlic in a very small bit long window planter that hangs on my shed

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'll try the spinach and lettuce there and see if it grows then, thanks

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well poo poo.

Even with >60°F soil temperatures and covering that's game over for my cucumbers huh?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Right now Ive just said gently caress it and plopped everything in the ground, with the idea that if it dies it dies and I'll just put some more seeds in until it doesn't.

How realistic is this as an approach to gardening, hah.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Right now Ive just said gently caress it and plopped everything in the ground, with the idea that if it dies it dies and I'll just put some more seeds in until it doesn't.

So real for this

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'm having a hard time getting anything but chard to sprout and then not get eaten by bugs/birds this spring in my new raised bed and that's the attitude I'm going for.

Trying out some wire trash cans to see if they stop birds this time, and putting more seeds out.

Also I don't know what's up with my soil; it's the same kind I use in my buckets but germination is rather low for everything (except chard).

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Spikes32 posted:

For mulch I have the free option of shredded cardboard or wood chips. last year I did wood chips and they were fine, but just fine. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this choice?
Shredded cardboard is okay, but it breaks down super fast. It will at least be partially gone by the end of summer. It's also kind of poo poo as a weed barrier, they just push right past.

I keep shredded cardboard in a bucket in my kitchen to mix with scraps before they go out to the compost. It really helps with the smell, and gives the compost more carbon. It's awesome for compost in general.

Woodchips are better in general. You need to pile them pretty deep to get lots of benefit. They also tend to be more beneficial over time as the break down, colonize fungi, and release humic acid. The first year you put them down, they're just moisture retention and a somewhat okay weed barrier.

If you can only get one of the options, go for woodchips. If you can get both for free though, you should take them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If I want to include some nitrogen fixing plants for companion planting, do I need to infect them myself, or or just trust it to happen on its own at some point? Does it matter if they are indoor/outdoor?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

If I want to include some nitrogen fixing plants for companion planting, do I need to infect them myself, or or just trust it to happen on its own at some point? Does it matter if they are indoor/outdoor?

from what i've gathered, most nitrogen fixers will find their bacterial friends sooner or later but inoculating them gives them a jump start.

probably not hugely necessary for a few companion beans or whatever, but maybe a different story if you're laying down acres of cover crops and need to maximize nitrogen production

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Goddamnit it’s so loving annoying when a Home Depot near you randomly gets two ~five foot Japanese black pines in #5 pots in at ~$50 a pop and by the time you return with your tarps so that you don’t mess up the interior of your car they’re already sold.

It’s been so difficult (ie impossible) to find JBPs of any good size this season, let alone at a good price or anywhere where I can see them in person. Everywhere I’ve looked is either sold out, exclusively dealing in dwarf varietals that I don’t want, and/or crazy expensive by comparison.

I would’ve posted this in the bonsai thread where it probably belongs, but nobody posts there anymore :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

GlyphGryph posted:

I was digging into it with a friend who lives a little more rural, I was fretting over the purple slicers I just potted, and she pointed out gently caress it, if they die they die, there's always more you can put in the ground

which, like, separates the precious from the prolific, I guess

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

trilobite terror posted:

by the time you return with your tarps

bloody ghost titty posted:

which, like, separates the precious from the prolific, I guess

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Home Depot has plastic by the roll.

Gardens favor the brave. :v:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m thinkin I need a tiller. I’ve always done all that with a hoe and a digging fork and ‘no dig’ or at least ‘less dig’ gardening is a goal of mine, but this year I’ve added about 4-6” of soil from other parts of the yard onto my ~400 sq ft garden I want to mix in well. And my back has gotten a few years older since double-digging my garden for the first time. The plan is to plant some cover crops with summer/ fall (pearl millet, sunn hemp, and cowpeas in the summer, probably ryegrass and/or buckwheat on the fall) and till those under too. I need to resod a pretty good chunk of my back yard this fall too.

Renting a tiller 4 separate days seems like it’d pay for me to just buy one-any recommendations? Sunjoe and other kale corded electric ones which has some appeal-are they any good? Is there like a Honda or Toyota of tillers where it’s easy, just buy this one? Mantis seems to be pretty well advertised and have Honda 4 stroke engines which are pretty low maintenance and reliable IME? My soil is pretty light and sandy for the most part, no heavy clay or rocks to speak of. The heaviest work would probably be tilling under cover crops.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I have a sun Joe corded that I like. My only complaint is that if you have larger rocks in your soil, they get stuck and jam it up. I just keep a hammer handy and hammer them out if it happens.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

To be pedantic small units like a SunJoe or Mantis are cultivators, not "tillers". No matter what you call them though heavier = works better to drive the tines into the ground. So in general gasoline engines ones tend to work better than lighter electric ones, but drat are electric yard tools convenient as all hell in the age of ethanol gas.

That said, you are going to want a good rear-tine tiller to do the sod work. Trying to till any reasonable amount of not-previously-worked soil with a small cultivator is pure misery, especially if the grass you currently have is a variety with runners which will get wrapped around the tines and jam it up.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I got a Ryobi tiller that attaches to their expand-it trimmer/blower thing.

It sucks rear end. Go heavy or go home.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I decline to ever till. Aerate and add organics, sure

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Eh, even in the most organic approach there is a time and place for tearing poo poo up every now and again.

It helps to have a heavy counter rotating tiller when you need one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

No matter what you call them though heavier = works better to drive the tines into the ground.

Chad Sexington posted:

Go heavy or go home.

I have a tiller attachment for my vintage garden tractor :cool:. After years of fighting with a walk-behind tiller, it's nice to just throw it in 1st and drive. Definitely overkill for a smaller space though, unless you have other uses for the tractor.