Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I had to look up microgreens too. I’ve never heard of it before until now, but was reading about them. Are they really 30% protein? That’s amazing! I’m going to try it out. Do you eat them straight or add them to stuff?
They really are! And they are so good. The arugula are deliciously nutty, cilantro and basil are crazy strong (amazing on top of tomato soup), and radish are a great spicy addition to just about anything.
I eat them straight a lot (can't help myself when I'm picking them) but also add them to salads and use them as garnish. I've even mixed enough of them together to make a salad in its own right!

Okay... now I'm going to have to go research tea and convince the commune that we need to grow it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

imaginaryfriend posted:

Okay... now I'm going to have to go research tea and convince the commune that we need to grow it!

I think we need a subforum called Goons in Communes were we can talk about gardening and tie dye and running your car off chip fat.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Okay, microgreens sound pretty drat good, and they're easy and quick to grow...I have a simple question though, how do you 'harvest' them? Just pull them out, wash and eat? And they're just sown on a seed tray, right?

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

I think we need a subforum called Goons in Communes were we can talk about gardening and tie dye and running your car off chip fat.

I'm down for the Goons in Communes idea. :) We're quite proud of ourselves! (Well, I am... I notice the rest of them are keeping their heads down. Lurkers!)
And yes, there is talk of a biodiesel factory in our future. How'd you know?!

krushgroove posted:

Okay, microgreens sound pretty drat good, and they're easy and quick to grow...I have a simple question though, how do you 'harvest' them? Just pull them out, wash and eat? And they're just sown on a seed tray, right?

You just cut them about an inch above the dirt with sharp scissors. :) It's super simple. I often just grab a bunch with my hands and rip them out though... I'm lazy.

I intend to get a new batch going this weekend (maybe sooner). I'll post a quick lesson in microgreen gardening when I do.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

imaginaryfriend posted:

I'm down for the Goons in Communes idea. :) We're quite proud of ourselves! (Well, I am... I notice the rest of them are keeping their heads down. Lurkers!)
And yes, there is talk of a biodiesel factory in our future. How'd you know?!

You just cut them about an inch above the dirt with sharp scissors. :) It's super simple. I often just grab a bunch with my hands and rip them out though... I'm lazy.

I intend to get a new batch going this weekend (maybe sooner). I'll post a quick lesson in microgreen gardening when I do.
I'd like to hear about both of those.

Actually, the homesteading thread might could use some of this wisdom. I'm looking very seriously at biodiesel myself, maybe a sub forum of sustainable living.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've been doing some googling about microgreens and it sounds so easy, especially since I have several seed trays and mounds of compost waiting to be used! I'm growing some cress right now just because the seed packet was available, and it's my first time growing this sort of thing.

From my very limited research, these are the sorts of things you can plant as microgreen crops:

Basil - Micro Greens & Baby Leaf Herbs - Thai, Basil Purple, Sweet and Lemon work well
Bulls Blood Beet - Micro Greens
Broccoli - Micro Greens
Cabbage - Tokyo Bekana - Micro Greens
Cabbage - Red - Micro Greens
Celery Leaf - Micro Greens & Baby Leaf Herbs
Chevril - Micro Greens & Baby Leaf Herbs
Chives - Micro Greens & Baby Leaf Herbs
Chinese Water Pepper - Micro Greens
Coriander - Micro Greens & Baby Leaf Herbs
Fennel - Micro Greens
Fenugreek - Micro Greens
Greek Cress - Micro Greens
Kale - Micro Greens
Lemon balm - Ideal with fruit, Baby Leaf Herb
Mizuna - Micro Greens
Mustard - Red Micro Greens
Rocket - Micro Greens & Baby Leaf Herbs
Purple Radish - Daikon & China Rose Micro Greens
Sage - Baby Leaf Herb
Salad Burnet - Baby Leaf Herb
Sorrel - Baby Leaf Herb
Summer Savory - Micro Greens & Baby Leaf Herbs
Spilanthes - Micro Greens
Swiss Chard - Bright Lights
Tatsoi - Micro Greens
Watercress - Micro Greens Baby Leaf
Green broccoli
Red-stemmed radish
Beetroot

With the cost of a packet of seeds about £1 and all the other stuff already available this is really a no-brainer - the only problem will be remembering to harvest it and eat it.

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008

krushgroove posted:

:words:

With the cost of a packet of seeds about £1 and all the other stuff already available this is really a no-brainer - the only problem will be remembering to harvest it and eat it.

You can either grab regular bags of seeds at your local garden store or you can find some online retailers that will sell you bags by the lb! It's a little cheaper that way and you can find some of the less common greens too.

Almost anything that you'd eat the leaves of can be turned into microgreens. I like to sow a lot of lettuce into a regular sized container (something that full grown lettuce could grow in, that is). Then when it's at microgreen stage, I pull up about half of it, which serves the purpose of making me a nice little nutrient dense salad (which I add more flavorful microgreens to, like arugula, celery, and radish) and I still get to have fully grown lettuce a few weeks later.

It really is a no-brainer though! Soooooo good.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
Well, I've made herbal teas before--lemon verbena, different mints, chammomile, and whatnot. I think I might stick with that for the time being, if only because my cats try to eat everything.

I am having this back and forth with myself about melons. I know I don't have room, but I keep doodling ways I can fit in a mound of one of those spacesaving sorts. I know I really shouldn't. I want some fruit but hate the hassle of netting out birds. Has anyone ever bought one of those el cheapo strawberry baskets at the grocery store?

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Made some tomato cages and staked them.

Made a small trellis out of a day bed spring support thing, and started a gently caress off huge one from bamboo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
drat that's a lot of garden space you have there.

Make mine look like a pittance:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

The majority of the garden containers. Tomatoes are just planted in the mini-greenhouse, the microgreens will be with them. Some of the potatoes to the left of the greenhouse and onions/strawberries to the right. Everything else is leafy veg. Tomato plants will go in the round planters against the wall, but pulled out in front of the greenhouse to get the sun.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

The herb/flower stand - the topmost planter is an oak acorn I planted several months ago!

The mushrooms should be sprouting (or whatever it is they do) in the next week or so

Some heather I bought from the garden centre because the stuff I pull out of the ground always dies. I love heather because it's hardy and bright.

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart
I love seeing the variety of gardens in this thread--krushgroove's containers, the various allotments, ChaoticSeven's motherfuckin FARM. It's really cool to see people using the space they have to grow food, even if it's just a little bit.

On another, sadder note, this blog post really struck a chord with me. Gayla Trail is a really cool and talented gardener/author in Toronto, she wrote a really easy to follow book for new gardeners geared towards young women; I picked it up a few years ago and it's a great read and a good resource.

Anyway, the post is about the destruction of her street garden that she has been keeping up for twelve years in her neighborhood. Just a sad story of how people don't respect nature or beautiful things and end up trashing it so it's as dirty as they feel inside. :( But it's also a testament to the power of gardening, and the reasons why we keep going, despite the many setbacks a gardener has to face throughout the season. So in that sense, I found it rather affirming.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FuzzyDunlop posted:

On another, sadder note, this blog post really struck a chord with me.

That's nothing a night of hiding in the bushes with a 12 gauge loaded with rock salt shells couldn't fix.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

FuzzyDunlop posted:

I love seeing the variety of gardens in this thread--krushgroove's containers, the various allotments, ChaoticSeven's motherfuckin FARM. It's really cool to see people using the space they have to grow food, even if it's just a little bit.

On another, sadder note, this blog post really struck a chord with me. Gayla Trail is a really cool and talented gardener/author in Toronto, she wrote a really easy to follow book for new gardeners geared towards young women; I picked it up a few years ago and it's a great read and a good resource.

Anyway, the post is about the destruction of her street garden that she has been keeping up for twelve years in her neighborhood. Just a sad story of how people don't respect nature or beautiful things and end up trashing it so it's as dirty as they feel inside. :( But it's also a testament to the power of gardening, and the reasons why we keep going, despite the many setbacks a gardener has to face throughout the season. So in that sense, I found it rather affirming.

In England my allotment plot had the same sorts of problems. It was in a sort of scuzzier by the minute area --anywhere else had long waiting lists. The tall fences with razor wire at the top and the huge barrier of brambles kept people out, but it didn't keep them from throwing poo poo from the street in (ours was on the edge). The whiskey bottles we confirmed were from the guy who had it before, but there was still new rubbish every time I got there, and random stuff like dirty diapers and empty cans of White Lightning (hurr kids). There was a grocery store with dumpsters literally RIGHT THERE, so I never quite understood it. I feel bad abandoning it, but life happened and it was too much to deal with.

I feel like such an old bitch complaining all the time about dem dere teenagers.

On the happy sunshine side, my tomatoes are hardened off to the point I can leave them outside in the sun all day while it is 55-65 and bring them in at night. Now I don't have to worry about room under my ghetto light setup, and my peppers are happy for the space. I really can't beleive how stout they are so far being crammed under a 5 dollar cfl (my sunny window got less sunny when leaves came into the tree out front, I'm a dumbass)!

Another dumb non-veg question: I bought a pack of that wildflower seed mix just to throw in this silly bare patch on a hill I can't be bothered to do anything with. I get to broadcast and rake in, but do I need to wait until after the frost date for something like that? It didn't have any directions on it other than to broadcast.

megmander
Dec 5, 2007
What is to give light must endure burning - Viktor Frankl
Hooray! We have pictures!

I've set up a flicker set with our balcony garden. The pics right now are from last week, but I'll try to update every week or two, just to show the growth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megmeleon/sets/72157616718858874/

My boyfriend just set up a new planter today on the balcony that's not photographed. He bought a half wine barrel from a local wine shop. We propped it up on some pvp couplings and filled it with dirt and broadcasted some carrot and beet seeds over it. Here's to a grand adventure!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

FuzzyDunlop posted:

On another, sadder note, this blog post really struck a chord with me.

I think that's the one reason I can't be a guerilla gardener right now. There's so many spaces in my town that need love and attention, but I just know they'd get ruined days later. I just don't have the money or effort to act as housewife to the world, so for now I'm just selfishly concentrating on my own garden.

However, several people at work have expressed interest in getting seedlings from me, so I'm going to see if I can swindle a "suggested donation" out of them, even if it's only 20p a plant.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

FuzzyDunlop posted:

I was raised by back-to-the-land hippies who had us do various exciting "activist" activities almost evey weekend. We did the farmer's market thing, "urban gardens", and all sorts of "food security" stuff in the late 70's and early 80's. This is obviously WAY before it became "fashionable" to do so.

Our poo poo always got wrecked.

Mom and dad sure liked to help the urban centers, but we lived way out in farm country. Partially so we could have space for all the homesteading activities, but partially because they weren't interested in having poo poo loving ruined by assholes on a regular basis. Living 10 miles from a town of 5,000 on 40 acres is some security by distance for sure.

Consequently, I grew to regard the vast majority of activists as unrealistic do-gooders and have my own place out in the goddamn sticks.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

It was finally warm enough to wear shorts out today (which I found out too late... I was already halfway to Lowes in pants when I realized I was sweating) and the gardening bug bit me hard. I already had some peas, spinach, and strawberries out, but now I have one of those hanging tomato planters and some petunias too. I got the flowers not only because they're pretty but also so I can watch my boyfriend freak out every time a bumblebee buzzes up to them. :haw:

Picture time!

This is my balcony. It's all messy due to all the playing in dirt I did earlier but as soon as it dries out I'm going to go sweep it.

These are my strawberries, they're Quinaults. No blossoms right now, apparently since they're first year plants I might not get any fruit this year :( I'm still holding out hope, though. I'm going to pick up a few more strawberry plants I think, just so I'll have them for next year if I'm going to have to wait anyway.

Here's my tomatoes. Heartland in the top, Early Girl in the bottom. I've never grown tomatoes so it's sort of an experiment and learning experience for me. I'm really hoping the Early Girls do okay since I had to wrestle with the roots to get them through the hole in the bottom of the planter.

And these are my pathetic little sprigs of basil. I planted this poo poo over a month ago. I honestly don't know what's going on. Maybe it's because they've been in those tiny peat pots? I put them in the pots the tomatoes came in and they've been fertilized, so hopefully they'll actually grow now.

Now I just have to watch out for any late frosts and remember to cover everything up.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

HeatherChandler posted:

I feel like such an old bitch complaining all the time about dem dere teenagers.

Another dumb non-veg question: I bought a pack of that wildflower seed mix just to throw in this silly bare patch on a hill I can't be bothered to do anything with. I get to broadcast and rake in, but do I need to wait until after the frost date for something like that? It didn't have any directions on it other than to broadcast.

1- Lay of the teenagers. My life is empty and I fill it with goons and booze. Also White Lightning is hobo cider, kids these days drink vodka.

2- Wildflowers/creating a meadow
Wildflowers like lovely soil. Seriously. If you want to turn an old lawn into a wildflower meadow, you have to scrape of 10cm or so of topsoil until you're nearly at subsoil level. If the bare patch is getting loads of light and is bare for some other reason (wear and tear?) then you shouldn't have a problem. English wildflowers are fairly hardy and can survive most minor spring frosts and April is the right time to sow. Just rake em in and be prepared to lose a fair percentage to birds.
By "broadcast" I presume you mean "wildly chuck seeds all over the place as if feeding imaginary chickens"? You had me confused for a second.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Alright folks - we are ready to rock! Just have to wait for the local garden centers to get their vegetable stock in.

My pitiful fence lives to see another year :)

This years improvements include a very nice 1x6 border along the bottom edge of the garden which should keep everything tucked in this year as well as a fancy pants hanging pot my wife decided to make. I think it looks much more homey this year and less "here's my gently caress off garden with PLANTTTTTTTTS"

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Have to make a tall fence to keep at least one cat out of the containers...apparently the netting doesn't stop this one industrious fucker from climbing in and making GBS threads ON TOP of the netting...I like cats and all, but drat this sucks. Every year.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Does anyone have any thoughts on berms vs mounds vs flat?

Last year I did rows of berms and it worked decent for some things, but for others I found the root systems outgrew the berms and growth was dwarfed because of it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MarshallX posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on berms vs mounds vs flat?

That depends, what are you trying to grow? What is your rainfall like? How free-draining is your soil? Does water pool on the surface?

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have been posting in the GWS gardening thread. I did not get a response about the EarthTainer, so I figured someone in here may be able to help. First off, I am growing 7 different peppers, 5 different tomatoes, and an eggplant.

My tomatoes are: Paul Robeson (black tomato), Kosovo (oxheart), Giant Belgian, Fireworks, and Tumbling Tom (cherry tomatoes that grow in a hanging basket). They are coming along nicely, and you can see the Kosovo (front left) and Giant Belgian (front right) varities in this Group Picture.

The peppers I am growing are: Black Cuban, Cajamarca(Habanero), NuMex Pinata(Jalapeno), NuMex Sunset, Pimient de Espelette, Takanotsume.

On to the questions. Has anyone ever constructed an EarthTainer? Or any other container where the capillary action takes the water up into the container? I am going to try to make some out of large buckets (instead of the rubbermaid container to try and save some money). Are there any disadvantages to this self-watering setup? I understand I could get root rot, but what else are the major things I should be aware of? Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what businesses to call to find used buckets? I know people have suggested bakeries, any other good ones? Thanks for any help.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Also have a small gardening question:

All of my herbs have sprouted in their jiffy pods, should i snip off the heads of all but the strongest in each pod or should i let them all live?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

osukeith161 posted:

I have been posting in the GWS gardening thread. I did not get a response about the EarthTainer, so I figured someone in here may be able to help. First off, I am growing 7 different peppers, 5 different tomatoes, and an eggplant.

My tomatoes are: Paul Robeson (black tomato), Kosovo (oxheart), Giant Belgian, Fireworks, and Tumbling Tom (cherry tomatoes that grow in a hanging basket). They are coming along nicely, and you can see the Kosovo (front left) and Giant Belgian (front right) varities in this Group Picture.

The peppers I am growing are: Black Cuban, Cajamarca(Habanero), NuMex Pinata(Jalapeno), NuMex Sunset, Pimient de Espelette, Takanotsume.

On to the questions. Has anyone ever constructed an EarthTainer? Or any other container where the capillary action takes the water up into the container? I am going to try to make some out of large buckets (instead of the rubbermaid container to try and save some money). Are there any disadvantages to this self-watering setup? I understand I could get root rot, but what else are the major things I should be aware of? Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what businesses to call to find used buckets? I know people have suggested bakeries, any other good ones? Thanks for any help.

I've never constructed anything like that and I don't see any downsides. It looks like a good idea. The only downsides might be that it is a lot of work, and because of that wouldn't be the best system if you had plenty of land and water wasn't in short supply. But where it was, or if you were on a balcony or something it would be great.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

osukeith161 posted:

Never done it, but I did stumble upon these discussions a while back, maybe they could be of some help? Only glanced at them.

My EarthTainer Project-Mistakes Made/Lessons Learned
Continued

Other places I've heard to look for buckets are water treatment plants and restaurants. I've also seen car washes suggested but I personally wouldn't be satisfied that I could get them completely clean. If you can find a local winery you can buy empty half barrels, not sure if that would be helpful in a permanent setup though.

madlilnerd posted:

1- Lay of the teenagers. My life is empty and I fill it with goons and booze. Also White Lightning is hobo cider, kids these days drink vodka.

2- Wildflowers/creating a meadow
Wildflowers like lovely soil. Seriously. If you want to turn an old lawn into a wildflower meadow, you have to scrape of 10cm or so of topsoil until you're nearly at subsoil level. If the bare patch is getting loads of light and is bare for some other reason (wear and tear?) then you shouldn't have a problem. English wildflowers are fairly hardy and can survive most minor spring frosts and April is the right time to sow. Just rake em in and be prepared to lose a fair percentage to birds.
By "broadcast" I presume you mean "wildly chuck seeds all over the place as if feeding imaginary chickens"? You had me confused for a second.

I don't live in England anymore, otherwise I wouldn't have to worry about it going -2C at night on a 20C day. I love English weather, but on the bright side, I know my tomatoes will ripen before September here :) Yes broadcasting means just throwing it down. And I jest about kids, I was a little poo poo once. I don't like assholes at any age. I'd be even more bitter if I was the one organizing these city gardens that don't have the luxury of undefeatable fences and multiple padlocks.

--

My newest thought is to get one of those cheap plastic kiddie pools, cut holes out of the bottoms and use as a raised bed for melons. I think I might have just enough flat space with no tree shade to throw it on. It has been nearly 10 years since I took a math class and it is making me feel really dumb trying to work out the volume of a cylinder so I can decide if I want to pay for that much compost/garden soil. I insisted I would never need math dammit. Does this sound like a good idea?

wei1
Jun 24, 2003

gay for sufjan stevens.
what are some options with just a concrete "patio"? i guess i could just buy a bunch of pots? i'd like to grow some easy stuff, tomatoes, garlic, onions?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

wei1 posted:

what are some options with just a concrete "patio"? i guess i could just buy a bunch of pots? i'd like to grow some easy stuff, tomatoes, garlic, onions?

Yeah, containers are a good option (see the back yard I'm dealing with, it's all paving stones and pea gravel), you can cheat a bit and get tomato seedlings and packs of lettuce, etc., that's already grown at the DIY store, depending where you are it may be a bit late to try growing them from seed if you want the veg in time for a normal harvest. Super-easy stuff includes lettuce varieties, tomatos (one plant per 8 or 10-inch pot though, plus you'll need stakes), onions might do well. Bigger things like potatoes and vine plants require bigger containers or more supports. If you have a lot of sun you'll do really well, otherwise you might struggle. I like containers because they can be moved around and they hold water pretty well - you need holes in the bottom though, otherwise the roots may rot, just don't think you never have to water.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

osukeith161 posted:

Watch out for roots growing into your capillary fabric, also cotton rope works really well for this.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for the input on the EarthTainer. I have some land to work with, but I will need to plant a few in containers regardless. I have plenty of spare time these days, so that is not an issue. I am a little concerned about the first comment on the site about it keeping the soil too moist. Anyway, I am going to try some businesses for containers and will post progress (I want to at least try a couple of these things).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
For everyone recommending container gardening, keep in mind that you will have to water those plants more frequently than if they were planted in the ground, especially any tomatoes or anything in the squash family. That EarthTainer is a good idea, but it would seem to be a bitch to set up the wicking action properly. I would especially check to see whether your self-watering pots would be more cost-effective than regular pots with an automated watering system, though admittedly this probably won't be the case unless you intend to do quite a lot of container gardening.

It's nice to see that you're growing so many peppers! I myself am growing a Naga Jolokia from seed this year. The included sample of the dried powder just about knocked me on my rear end, and I just took the little amount that stuck to my moistened pinky finger.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

kid sinister posted:

For everyone recommending container gardening, keep in mind that you will have to water those plants more frequently than if they were planted in the ground, especially any tomatoes or anything in the squash family. That EarthTainer is a good idea, but it would seem to be a bitch to set up the wicking action properly. I would especially check to see whether your self-watering pots would be more cost-effective than regular pots with an automated watering system, though admittedly this probably won't be the case unless you intend to do quite a lot of container gardening.

It's nice to see that you're growing so many peppers! I myself am growing a Naga Jolokia from seed this year. The included sample of the dried powder just about knocked me on my rear end, and I just took the little amount that stuck to my moistened pinky finger.

quote:

On the 9th April 2009 Anandita Dutta Tamuly, a 26 year old Indian woman, ate 51 Naga Jolokia peppers in two minutes. [14] The attempt took place in Jorhat, India and is expected to be accepted into the Guinness World Records. Celebrity chef and restaurateur, Gordon Ramsay, was present.

How can people do that? Shouldn't there be physical damage?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

ChaoticSeven posted:

How can people do that? Shouldn't there be physical damage?
Sort of. It doesn't take much to knock you on your rear end relatively speaking, lethal doses are possible but you'd have to eat a whole lot more chile than that. She'll have nausea, diarrhea and a potential higher risk of cancer (this only by eating a lot of it every single day of her life), but it's not like capsaicin is acidic or something. What makes us taste the heat is the way it binds to our receptors, not the 'physical' function of the stuff itself.

If it reacted like I think you're implying, it wouldn't make a good deterrent for gardening purposes because it would injure the plant or adversely effect the soil.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I was thinking of the time my Mom cut up a ton of peppers without gloves and got actual blisters. Her hands were beet red. I heard second hand stories about the same type of thing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ChaoticSeven posted:

I was thinking of the time my Mom cut up a ton of peppers without gloves and got actual blisters. Her hands were beet red. I heard second hand stories about the same type of thing.

Capsaicin is a skin and tissue irritant. That's why you're supposed wear gloves when harvesting or handling the peppers. The amount of irritation is proportional to that pepper's heat, which is why some people can handle jalapenos without a problem. It's also present though in a lesser degree throughout the plant, which is why I intend to put a little fence around this particular plant.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

osukeith161 posted:

<snip>
I am going to try to make some out of large buckets (instead of the rubbermaid container to try and save some money). Are there any disadvantages to this self-watering setup? I understand I could get root rot, but what else are the major things I should be aware of? Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what businesses to call to find used buckets? I know people have suggested bakeries, any other good ones? Thanks for any help.

Try takeaways for used 5 gallon buckets (sauces, mayo, poo poo like that) They'll need a thorough clean, takeaways won't do that for you. Wear gloves, possibly a mask so you don't gip.

SweatyMeatLoaf
Jun 4, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Capsaicin is a skin and tissue irritant. That's why you're supposed wear gloves when harvesting or handling the peppers. The amount of irritation is proportional to that pepper's heat, which is why some people can handle jalapenos without a problem. It's also present though in a lesser degree throughout the plant, which is why I intend to put a little fence around this particular plant.

this is some hidden pest control/prevention advice. Humans are the only mammals that eat peppers. plant your hotter varieties of peppers around the edges of your garden if deer and rabbits and such are a problem. they will avoid these plants like the plague. it's not a perfect solution, but I've had success with it on smaller garden plots. with very large ones it's impractical to surround the entire garden with jalapeños.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
^^^ Sprinkling dried and powdered hot pepper on plants or the soil can also help.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Ah, I've handled hot peppers before gloveless and not had actual blisters but I did have varying levels of discomfort anywhere from mild to extreme. I even rubbed my eye once (never ever again I don't care how bad it itches, oh man). I've never heard of anyone getting blisters, that sounds more like an allergic reaction.

That being said, pepper spray does cause inflammation and can cause chemical burn (and therefore blistering) under prolonged exposure, like using an oil-based lotion on a sprayed area instead of or before washing/decontaminating it. I dunno, maybe it has to do with tolerance or the mucous layer in the stomach (since mucous isn't living tissue, as distinct from the membrane itself). In my area we eat chile peppers on everything, the hotter the better. We even have a local ice cream shop that makes a thick green chile shake. I've never been sprayed with pepper spray though, and I've never eaten nor seen anyone eat 51 Naga Jolokia. That woman is in for a bad night, I know that much; but the damage shouldn't be permanent as long as her body flushes it all out in a couple hours (it likely will, yeesh).

landis fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 20, 2009

SweatyMeatLoaf
Jun 4, 2007

^^^this is what I did in TN on my folks' lot. I had a huge plot, nearly 1/3 of an acre. I wanted to keep it as close to organic as possible, so I planted my peppers at the corners and edges of the plot, along with my garlic. I then sprinkled cayenne on the ground all around. lots of sneezing ensued, but there were no rabbits or deer munching my lettuce that year. the moles also avoided the area. Of course having a dachshund and 2 labs may have helped matters.

I've never had blisters or skin irritation unless I was handling habaneros, or when I touched my face without washing my hands very well. It must come from growing up handling the things. to relieve the irritation I used good old noxema, which actually burns worse until you rinse it off. then your skin is left cool, tingly, and sensitive for a few hours. this also works for pepper spray (best not to ask). if you get it in your eyes, you can't really do much except jump in a cool shower and let the water run into your eyes.

that woman that ate all those peppers would be well served drinking a lot of goat's milk and eating a lot of fatty or acidic foods( oh god the heartburn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

The problem with using hot pepper powder to deter critters is it washes away. I was looking at some sort of pest control spray that is like wax with hot pepper in it, supposedly it stays on the plant?

I'm just waiting for my zucchini to come busting out of its newspaper pot, then not sure what I'll put it in. I'll have to make a mega newspaper pot I suppose. Two weeks old, including the time it took to germinate.