Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We are moving into a house with a nice yard that we can garden in. Does anyone have any recommendations for a book about gardening? I know I can seek out information on the internet, but I like large tomes that I can casually read through as well as reference when I need it. Looking for something that is has specific sections on different types of herbs, veggies, fruits, etc. and what they like and don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thanks! We are moving from South Florida where you grow stuff by chucking it outside and checking on it 3 months later to northeast PA where there are these things called seasons and whatnot. So the experience will be very different and I need a good starting point.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Would my pumpkins produce more fruit if I trimmed the vines?

I’ve got three vines and two fruits growing very well. I’ve just been kinda letting it go it’s own thing.

I think the opposite. I looked into growing a giant rear end pumpkin and one of the keys (aside from seed choice) is to trim new vines as they appear so all the resources go into the single gourd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

What the hell, I went from 10b to 6a! (I also just moved 1000 miles north).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Well, that officially replaces "serotonin" as the word Brits say the dumbest.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I at least get that, and I hear a lot of Americans use that pronunciation when referring to elemental aluminium versus an alloy, or it in malleable form (aluninium ion vs. aluminum can).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

We moved last year from South Florida to NE Pennsylvania and man composting is different. In Florida, we had the tumbler style that would make banana peels vanish in a week. Due to winter, basically everything I have thrown in the earth mover looks like it is in suspended hibernation. We talked to some neighbors who compost and they said they don't do anything special, it will pick back up once the weather warms, but is that the case? Should I throw in some manure or enzymes or something to kickstart the process once it warms up for the season?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Orbs posted:

Oh yeah, a pressure washer is another thing I've needed pretty often, but not often enough to justify buying one.

Unless you really need it for like commercial grade use, I find electric ones that run about 100 to 150 bucks get the job done. I have used it to effectively clean paved walkways, wood decks, tile floors etc. I also use the lowest settings and nozzles to wash cars and do windows.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

We have well water with really high nitrate content and is pretty hard. As I type this they are installing a water softening system and filters and such. I can hook up my hose so it comes off the well pump directly before the water treatment, or after. Which is better to use to water my garden and containers? Does it matter that much overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bi-la kaifa posted:

My only goal for the last few years has been to dominate the local fair. My flowers and produce must crush as many dreams as possible.

That is next years goal for me.