Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that
I have a small herb garden inside, my first. Its two large pots that each have a mixture of herbs in it. One of them has two types of basil and some dill. I live in a condo, and get a good amount of sunshine in the morning and afternoon.

Today when watering, I noticed some small little black bugs flying around as I watered. I haven't noticed any damage yet, but the plants are very young, just a couple weeks old. Is this anything to worry about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah that's about what they look like, but no there's no food anywhere, I keep my place tidy.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah I'm not worried about what it shows about me, just dont want to come home and have no plants left one day.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Those aren't fruit flies, those are fungus gnats. Their larvae live in dirt and eat dead roots and leaves. While not a danger to people, they can spread diseases between plants and are more of a danger to smaller and new plants. There are a couple methods to treat and control them. The first is to not overwater your plants. You can also do sticky traps or the potato trap method. That's where you cut a potato into 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch chunks and place those chunks on the soil surface for a few days. Pick it up and you should quickly see if you have larvae in your dirt. Throw away potato when done if it wasn't obvious.

Cool, this makes more sense.

And if I do have larvae, what do I do exactly? Will simply cutting down on the watering get rid of them?