Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHEEZball
Nov 23, 2006
This year is my first attempt at vegetable gardening! In containers on my porch as well. Anyone have any tips?

It's still too cold to actually do anything, but I'm trying to work out the details of what I can and can't do.

So far I have them broken down into pot types

Large Terracotta (or plastic) pots

Tomato and Basil
Cucumber which I'm going to try to grow with one of those tomato stakes and have a "cucumber bush"
Carrots

Trofts (roughly 8" high and 3' in length)
Assorted Herbs
Assorted Lettuce
Peas! I'm going to find some chicken wire and help the vines out with that

I'm not sure what else I can stick in the trofts

I might try those potato bags, if I can find them

My patio faces east, and gets some of the southern sun as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEEZball
Nov 23, 2006
Patio isn't covered no, but I was expecting to water water water anyway since I'm in Saskatchewan. It's really dry here period :/

What would be good tomato varieties for in a pot? Something medium sized for sandwiches and salads?

CHEEZball
Nov 23, 2006
Any Saskatchewan gardeners able to tell me when my peas should begin flowering? They're growing like mad, but have not shown a hint of flowering... I want peas! All my googling shows information about field peas, and how to properly shell them..