Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megmander
Dec 5, 2007
What is to give light must endure burning - Viktor Frankl
My boyfriend and I just started our own "garden" this spring on our 5x5 balcony (that gets southwest exposure). WE have a small box of strawberries, a box with a lattice for pole beans, and two hanging bags - one for tomatoes and one for peppers.

It's been two weeks and we haven't killed a single thing! We have three "trios" of strawberries and they go from totally blooming with signs of berries to just green and thriving. Our hanging peppers, while small, are very green and show signs of budding. Our tomatoes are growing with signs of budding, but a few of the leaves are starting to curl (should I water them more, do you think?).

The most exciting are the pole beans. The seed packet just said to stick them 4" apart and an inch deep. So we did. Didn't start them indoors or anything, just stuck them in the ground. Right now we have about 6 or 8 little sprouts with leaves. It's super exciting to watch!

Now if only I had a back yard...we've been reading about aquaponics and are itching to try it out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megmander
Dec 5, 2007
Hooray! We have pictures!

I've set up a flicker set with our balcony garden. The pics right now are from last week, but I'll try to update every week or two, just to show the growth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megmeleon/sets/72157616718858874/

My boyfriend just set up a new planter today on the balcony that's not photographed. He bought a half wine barrel from a local wine shop. We propped it up on some pvp couplings and filled it with dirt and broadcasted some carrot and beet seeds over it. Here's to a grand adventure!

megmander
Dec 5, 2007
Wooo! We have little carrots and beetlings growing in our wine vat!

I went out to check on the planties this morning and sure enough, there were itty bitty sprouts coming up from the soil. Of course, three days of unseasonally warm weather probably helped with that, but dude - we're gonna have carrots and beets! YAY!

megmander
Dec 5, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Very cool :) I'd recommend planting some chives amongst the carrots, it helps stop the carrot fly from planting its larvae on your carrots. They don't take up much space like onions would and they're good to add to anything!

Excellent suggestion seeing how our chives in our aerogrow garden are kinda lackluster (yes, I have one of those outrageously priced hydroponic gardens as seen on TV...but to be fair I got it on sale for $40) so I'll pick up some seeds soon!

Question: my boyfriend (the carrots are his project so he's doing the research) says that once the carrots and beets are large enough to move, we plant them in rows to give them space. Should we plant the chives before or after this?