Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So I recently sanded down and oiled a wooden bench that my partner had inherited somewhere down the line, and now I’m hoping to encourage lichen to grow on it. Google turns up some british blog that suggests I blitz some up with powdered buttermilk and, uh, sheep manure.

Any less farming intensive suggestions? I mean, I could use dog manure, but that’s not things I want going in the blender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Do you have lichen already in your yard? Blitz that up with the Buttermilk and paint it on the bench. Then let the blender soak in a vinegar water solution for an hour and you'll be fine. The lichen will grow faster in a damp environment so a mist sprayer or carefully getting the bench damp daily will speed things up.

Sick, thank you!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
My partner got us (me) a dehydrator earlier this year and I gotta say, it’s a game changer for our herbs and excess seasonal fruit. May your tomatoes be perfectly ripe and unbothered by raccoons.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Qubee posted:

$11 and I live in the Middle East so things are more expensive than they should be.

So we bought a house (:eyepop:) and the yard is simply swimming in little green aphids. Have a crop of ladybugs chomping away, but a combination of late warmth (it was 80 in mid November...not great...) and the last owner not treating means we are so choked with them that I find the fuckers in my car hours later, having got in through the hood. I've sprayed the whole fence (where they congregate, warm black metal) with soap & water...it's slowed them down, but is neem oil indicated? Also, where do I look for (and thin out) their eggs?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
As for overwinter fruit growth- zone 6- is there a particular breed of fig tree I could start indoors and hopefully transplant out next year?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

Your ag-extension might be a good bet. When I used to run a sewer plant, I’d take soil samples into the local UK extension for out of house testing. They had dozens of pamphlets on horticulture specific to the state and region. You might even be able to find them on line, for your state.

As a New Yorker just moved to the 'ville, I have now just learned about the local extensions of UK and I am very much stoked. We also used the annual Barnes & Noble hardcover sale to pick up Self-Sufficiency for the 21st Century for some urban gardening ideas (and also the Noma guide to Fermentation because hey, sale). It'll be a fun Spring and Summer.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I went and got my beloved her fig tree this weekend— nursery suggested getting it in the ground "before October"; how long should I let it get acclimated to the yard in its pot? April in KY gives whiplash and I'm thinking it's happier in its home than trying to get to know soil that keeps changing its mind.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Right now Ive just said gently caress it and plopped everything in the ground, with the idea that if it dies it dies and I'll just put some more seeds in until it doesn't.

How realistic is this as an approach to gardening, hah.

I was digging into it with a friend who lives a little more rural, I was fretting over the purple slicers I just potted, and she pointed out gently caress it, if they die they die, there's always more you can put in the ground

which, like, separates the precious from the prolific, I guess

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

trilobite terror posted:

by the time you return with your tarps

bloody ghost titty posted:

which, like, separates the precious from the prolific, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
This year is our first year in our first real house, so everything is advancing bit by bit as we feel out the microclimate, get adjusted to all the new space that isn't subject to a HOA covenant, etc.

Kitchen garden has been developed first, with the thyme and chives brought from the last house going gangbusters in their first spring. Added basil and parsley to the pot, looking forward to a big planter full of tastes. Woody herbs have gone into pots around the porch to suss out how they like the different sun exposures, and when they are having a good time, into the ground they go. Another couple good hot days and we'll turn the first batch of compost out.

Fig tree has been purchased and positioned, again figuring out if it'll get the right amount of sun once the birch it's kinda under leafs out. Tomatoes are in place in a traveling pot, with a cherry plant the first homesteader in the raised tubs out back we inherited, last owner grew tomatoes and peppers in abundance. Had chili pepper themed wallpaper in the kitchen. I promised him a bottle of our first good batch as thanks for taking our (only gently) above asking offer and cancelling all other showings rather than going to a bidding war. He just wanted people who would grow up and grow older and grow some goddamn peppers, I guess. Start a family if we're lucky, grow a community otherwise.