Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

kid sinister posted:

The reason for staking tomatoes is to plant them more densely on the same amount of land and to keep the fruits out of the reach of critters on the ground. If you got the space and you don't have garden visitors, let 'em hang down.

I had a quick look today and it looks like something has been having a nibble here and there. The culprit is probably slugs or mice so I think I might stake them. Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Damiana posted:

I was wondering if you guys have any tips of what to plant for the fall. I live in Zone 8a. I have very limited room. I want to do a couple pots of herbs, courgettes and luffas in the spring. Is there anything I can plant right now? I can't bring anything inside as the cats adore spreading dirt across the floor.

Broad beans should germinate in good time to be strong enough to withstand winter, if you plant them now. They won't produce beans until early spring though. If you're cautious and use a well sheltered site you could get away with planting carrots right now too, and different sources all over the place are arguing about this, but one website suggested peas to me.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Behold! The fruits of my labour!

..oh. :(

On the upside, I now know that beets don't like being swamped in a flowerbed full of pretty pink annuals, but that they will grow in my soil.

The other response to this is "why did I even bother trying to grow beets, they taste rank."

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Hobo Camp posted:

loving birds are eating my plants! What the hell do I do about this?

There's a fair bit you can do to deter birds. They're surprisingly easy to freak out.

-Hang up CDs (free ones like those ones AOL used to send out) and the defracting light freaks them out
-Rip the tape out from a cassette or betamax and string it tightly between poles- it makes this weird humming sound in the wind and they don't like it.
-Put netting or a fruit cage over your plants so they can't physically get to them.
-Make a small scarecrowy thing out of a cross made from bamboo, a big flappy tshirt and a scarf. The more bits that flap and move the better.

Between the pigeons and the mice, I had barely any pea plants come up this year. I ended up just germinating them inside until they got to about 4cm tall.

Slung Blade posted:

What are you on about, beets are delicious.

n-uh, they are icky goat food.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I don't understand why my tomatoes aren't ripening. It's been really sunny here for September, they've been fed, I'm pinching out tips so they don't put on any more flowers or foliage, and yet I'm still stuck with hoards of green tomatoes, some of which look a bit gross and sickly like they might be rotting on the plant. It's been this way for two weeks, since I got back from Hawaii. The variety of tomato is called Moneymaker and it's a really easy genus to grow.

-it's not blossom end rot because they've been getting a good balanced amount of water
-it's not a nutrient deficiency, because I've fed them the recommended amount, and put a fresh compost mulch layer down

It might be blight :ohdear: There's definitely a chance because we had potatoes growing in the compost heap and they're the same family as the tommies.

I'd also like to know why my pumpkin plant is so huge and yet has only one pumpkin on it! I want more pumpkins, dammit, but I don't see any more flowers. This too has been fed and watered properly. I'm peeved because I chose a pumpkin that was supposed to be dark blue and it's about the size of a basketball and still only a pale silvery grey.

TLDR; girl mad at plants. Going to live off nothing but leeks.

Edit; and now I'm really pissed off. The tomatoes I've babied and loved on the veg plot are loving up, but those by the front of the house which don't get fed or watered gave me 10 beautiful cherry tomatoes today. gently caress this, I should just go on neglectful holiday again and come back to a bountiful harvest.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 11, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Chajara posted:

My tomatoes are mostly still green too, and they've been that way for weeks. They're slowly ripening one by one now, but the majority of them are still completely green. I'm just chalking it up to a cool summer and a good week where it was downright chilly and rainy. What sucks is that back when it was good and warm I had several tomatoes ripen, but they had blossom-end rot and I had to supplement the plant with milk and toss all the rotten tomatoes. I guess that's a lesson learned for next year.

I guess my sense of time has just been thrown off from gardening in the tropics. In Hawaii, seeds germinated in 3 days and a flower on Monday would be a good sized bean on Friday. It feels like I'm running out of time now I'm back in the UK and summer is disappearing. All this waiting...

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Marchegiana posted:

I've actually heard of people pissing in their compost heaps, and would probably do it myself if I had the equipment to do so. I think if you were going to put it directly on your plants you might have to either dilute it or do it sparingly, otherwise you could fertilizer-burn the roots.

You can always do it on the ground around the garden. Urine breaks down into lots of lovely nitrogen!

On the other hand, my brother refuses to eat home grown vegetables because he pees on the compost heap.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

jovial_cynic posted:

Yeah, the kids seem to dig it.

ha.

Where did you get seeds for the salvia? I know of a million places to buy pot seeds, but I've never seen salvia ones around.

Anyway, my garden update is thus.

-tried an autumn sowing of carrots, they all got slugged
-tomatoes ripening very slowly, the ones I have eaten tasted good cooked (they were a bit battle scarred and/or chewed so I didn't want to raw them, although I think I did have one in a salad)
-The pumpkin continues to grow but shows no sign of getting blue-er
-Happy leeks! I should probably do another thinning or earth them up a bit more so they get some more yummy stem
-Courgette plant intermittently flits between "yay, I'm alive!" and "boo, I'm dying". It has a bad case of silvery mildew. And bi-polar disorder.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

hepscat posted:

I miss them. :( Was there anything I could have done to avoid them?

Mesh over the top of the plant would've prevented butterflies or moths from landing on and laying eggs on your greens in the first place, but it's ugly and can make it hard to see if anything is ready to harvest.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

clam posted:

This ginger is impressive! I'm at a loss with ginger... from what I can gather, you just plant the ginger 'root' in the ground, and keep it warm and moist, and it will start to sprout? The ginger i'm about to plant has been soaking overnight in some water, and has some knobbly bits that look like they MIGHT sprout in the distant future... what now?

Yep, warm and moist sounds about right. That stuff is an invasive species in Hawaii though, so depending on how Hawaiian your climate is, it may take over your entire garden. The flowers on a balmy evening smell gorgeous.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Kapowski posted:

What sort of things should I be planting on my windowsill now (quite a mild October in the UK)? I had a fairly good crop of tomatoes this year, so I'm keen to crack on with something else, but space is fairly limited.

You can start off peas and some beans (broad beans) if you're quick now. We're heading for an unseasonally warm few weeks apparently, so they should germinate in no time. Try your luck overwintering them on the veggie plot- the survival rate varies based on loads of factors but it's worth a try. If they do survive you should be able to enjoy hand grown peas from March.

Also I would like to take a moment to plug the UK magazine- Which? Gardening. They trial seed companies, plant varieties, tools and anything else for the garden, and are about as fair and impartial as you can get. Their website has loads of useful info on it too.

Friday is pumpkin picking day so I get to see how much my little guy clocks in at! It will be a bittersweet victory or failure, because I've got to lug the thing to Wales on the train either way.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I’m about ready to put the garden to bed for the winter, pull most of the stuff out except for a late crop of lettuce, some chard that is still going, and some potatoes that still have green vines. I have some leftover compost mixed in with a few kitchen scraps that are now half decayed. I’m undecided whether to incorporate the compost in the top 8 inches of soil (fertilize and aerate the root zone) or broadcast it on top (preserve the soil structure, let the worms mix it in over the winter).

Worms are fairly inactive over the winter, so it's your call. I would ask yourself if you think you could cope with the sight of decaying kitchen scraps all over your garden.

Went outside for the first time in a while to take a look at my leeks- they have flowerbuds on them! Can I let leeks flower, or will they die afterwards?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
PUMPKIN DAY WOOOOOOO

The loving thing weighs 4.9kg. I've got to take it on 3 trains and the London Underground along with everything I need for a long weekend and a present for my best friend, and a bunch of leeks, and my knitting to keep my occupied on my 5.5hr journey. :suicide:

Everything fit in such a neat little bag until I decided to be nice and bring home grown vegetables :mad:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Woo-wooo. Thanks DIY & Hobbies for helping me impress a group of uni students with my wares, from knitting to pumpkins.

For your efforts you get this decidedly unsexy myspace shot of the pumpkin and I.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Went out properly for the first time this year and did my spring dig-over. God I've missed digging with the sunshine on my back.

Finally got round to harvesting the last of the leeks in plot 2! There was 1.7kg of them.
Any ideas what to do with a glut of leeks? At the moment I'm thinking of letting my dad take them to church so anyone can take them, or cutting them up and freezing them in ziplock bags.

Don't know what I'm growing this year, but it's not going to be leeks.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Those leeks rings do look delicious, but I'm a bit scared of deep frying!

Jonny 290 posted:

The dirt in my yard is beautiful, I can tell I'm going to do well.

I had that feeling today. Compared to last year there were so few weed roots, better soil consistency and so many more worms, it felt fantastic.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
My brussel sprouts, they're sprouting! :neckbeard: Had a look at the windowsill this morning and there's a few tiny signs of life.

First year growing brassicas, got it all planned out. The sprouts will go in plot 2, which had leeks and peas in it last year, along with some beetroot. Plot 1 is going to be a salad plot with mange tout, radishes, rocket, perpetual spinach and maybe some little gem lettuces. The idea is that plot 1 will be done with by the time I get to university in September, and plot 2 will be so established by then that I'll only have to pop home every 3rd weekend or so to check up on it.

Plot 3 (up against the fence in the shade), is once again going to be a pollinator plot filled with wildflowers, but I might sow a few marigolds in with my beetroot too.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
As long as tomatoes are adequately supported, they really don't need huge root systems. You can grow them in a small grow bag or flowerpot the size of a 5L bucket and they'll do quite happily. Just carefully monitor their water levels during flowering/fruiting if it gets very hot where you are- there's a whole range of annoying problems associated with patchy watering. You might get blossom end rot where there fruit rots where it's attached to the plant, or splitting which leaves you with scar ridden emo tomatoes.

My peas are sprouting too, hooray. Vegetable garden is go!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I usually grow Moneymaker in the ground for full size ones, and Tumbling Tom Thumb in hanging baskets for cherry tomatoes. Last year my crop was terrible though, so I'm taking a break from them as part of my crop rotation plans. I might try another cherry variety in some pots to go with the salad garden I've got planned.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

I would be interested to know what kind of nutrient drain zucchinis are on the soil.

If they get most of their material from the atmosphere, they might be a good candidate for a green manure crop.

Anyone know?

My RHS book says that courgettes do well in any type of soil as they are very robust, but generally you're supposed to dig in some compost or manure beforehand to give them a boost. I personally wouldn't bother because the plants tend to be so prolific. I don't see why courgettes couldn't be used as a ground cover green manure, but the cutting up and digging in at the end could be difficult because of the fruits. You'd have to go round with a scythe to cut down the plants and then mash the fruits up before digging them in, or next year when you went to cultivate the soil you'd just find half rotten fruits in the ground.

Of course, you have a Rotavator, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem for you. And if you had a few goats, this blog says that you can offload a harvested glut on them, and then would only have the plants to dig in.

If you're looking for edible or more useful green manures, winter field bean can be harvested and eaten or given to chickens. As a legume it has nitrogen fixing roots, and the flowers are attractive to bees. Please note the book I'm reading on allotment gardening is geared towards the gulf stream loveliness of the UK, not the frozen wasteland of Hoth, so you might not be able to grow an overwinter bean crop, although you could probably try it at another time of year.
Another option could be buckwheat which does well on low fertility soil, as long as it's not heavy clay. Again, you can eat it or give it to chickens.

Give it a try as an agricultural experiment- do some soil fertility tests before flooding a field with courgettes and 6 months after digging them in.

EDIT: just went outside to check on the sprout seedlings I planted out the other day- 7/8 of them are already gone. I've no idea what's done it, it doesn't look like slug damage as the seedlings appear to have been cut and then moved. Could be the cat digging in the veg bed.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 20, 2010

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

ChaoticSeven posted:

I have access to a good chunk of farm field, I could pretty much grow whatever I wanted I bet. If I just bought a bulk pack of zucchini seeds and filled like an acre full of them, how well the fruits would be as like, compost material. The land isn't being used for anything anyhow. If could could grow a couple tons of zucchini to enrich my actual plot that'd be cool. This fall I'll be home for once so I can also plant a green manure ground cover.

Maybe I could burn off a couple acres of field and plant it full of clover and just mow it once a month and make a giant rear end compost pile too. The possibilities...

The idea with clover isn't that you mow it and put it on a compost heap, but that you scythe it down, leave it to wilt and then dig it in. Leaving courgettes alone in a field would result in massive fruits- would be fun to mulch them up through a wood-chipper though. I want to see some of you farmy folks experimenting. For science! :science:

I wish I had some farm to play with. Next year I'll be living in London and will have to seek out the guerilla gardeners to avoid going stir crazy from lack of green fingers. Or commute back to my parents once a week to work in their garden.

Slung Blade posted:

Well, actually, I didn't have a tiller.
Until friday that is.

Help I'm seeing into the future agaaaaaain

Jesus Rocket posted:

What are some good resources for complete beginners to vegetable gardening (like myself)? I feel overwhelmed when all I want is basic information like: what I can grow, when to plant, when to harvest. I'm not even sure what everyone means when they talk about zones, but as a start I live in San Diego.

There are loads of books aimed at beginners, just type "beginning gardening" in the box at the top of this page and choose one that will work for you (I like books that are approved by the Royal Horticultural Society but I don't know what the American equivalent is so would probably get Vegetable Gardening For Dummies). Do any of your friends, neighbours, colleagues or family members garden? What is your garden like right now? Is it large, small, shady?

For a beginner, I would recommend container gardening, because you're less likely to suffer competition from weeds and some pests, and you won't have the effort of making raised beds or digging traditional beds. Decide what you would like to grow- what vegetable do you regularly eat and would enjoy nurturing? Tomatoes or peppers are a good place to start, because they're so delicious straight from the garden, relatively easy to grow and don't take forever to fruit.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ridonkulous posted:

1. Can I take seeds and plant them outside (skip inside germinating) and expect reasonable results.

I don't with edible plants simply because we have a huge slug problem and any seedlings get eaten before I've even noticed they've sprouted. Or the birds eat the shoots. Or the mice eat the seeds.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

PBCrunch posted:

She bought a topsy turvy tomato planter too. Any opinions on those?

I planted 2 up in Hawaii- we hung them off the chicken coop. I thought it was a pain to assemble and plant up (probably something to do with trying to do it on a garden chair sinking into the mud), but once they were up they looked good and the plants were certainly doing better than they were on the ground after a couple of days.

I think it would be nice to have one hung outside the back door by the kitchen, but at the same time I can just plant tumbling varieties of tomatoes in regular hanging baskets for the same effect.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Zeta Taskforce posted:

People are so weird. It’s like they think that unless food comes in a plastic bag with a barcode on it, it’s not sanitary or something.

A few years ago I was growing some tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, and a few other things in my community garden plot. Everything was coming along nice and I was excited to show my then boyfriend at the time what I was doing. I brought a few plastic bags and a knife so I could harvest some stuff for him on the spot, and started eating the cherry tomatoes right off the plant. He wouldn’t eat any without washing them because everyone knows things outside are dirty. The carrots really freaked him out because they had just been in the dirt. :confused:

That reminds me of this episode of Wife Swap I watched, where the husband in California started freaking out when the other woman started pegging out his laundry to dry because it would get dirty outside in the sunshine. What kind of retard uses a tumble dryer when they live in the California suburbs?

My brother also refuses to eat certain things straight from the garden (it depends on their proximity to the ground). He says it's because he pees on the compost heap.

I don't understand why my germination rate on peas has been so low this year- and one of my seedlings mysteriously wilted and died for no apparent reason.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Richard Noggin posted:

Peas are susceptible to fusarium wilt. Did the lower leaves turn yellow, then curl down?

No, it literally just went from looking like a pea-shoot to looking like a piece of 3 day old salad in the space of a day. And then I think it disappeared. There is a chance that the soil was contaminated with either some kind of herbicide or tiny slugs though.

My mum uses weedkiller in the garden and it drives me loving mad. She mixes it in watering cans and then draws on them with sharpie so I know which one she's used, but it leaves me without a watering can :argh:

The weather has been so awful here as well. Winter did a 180 and came back to bite us in the arse, so now my parents have a bunch of unhappy looking seedlings on a tray on their windowsill, and a wooden deck that's been 4/5ths scrubbed clean. I'm going away for 20 days on the 7th so if the weather doesn't clean up I'm not going to get paid for doing their stupid deck and all my seedlings will die.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

HClChicken posted:

Everything I've read says that when you do your seed growing purchase potting soil so you can prevent weeds, insects and parasites that are outside.

:j: I don't drive and I'm a delicate young woman who doesn't enjoy lugging 20kg of compost home 2 miles from Wilkinsons.
That and compost from my many compost heaps generally works fine. I'm happy to say it's just a bad year, although in theory it should be a good year because the harsh winter should have decimated the bug, virus and fungus population.

Once again, I'm screwing over my poor little garden by changing continent for a while. Last year on getting back I was greeted by a million leeks and a huge overgrown pumpkin, but there's so little in the ground right now that unless some drat sunshine comes out this week I'll be coming back to an empty plot at the end of April. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Costello Jello posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if birds would just eat a whole strawberry or tomato, instead of goring a hole in every single one. loving birds.

Slugs do that too. The worst thing when going to Pick Your Own to get strawberries was finding the perfect sized, beautifully ripe fruit and picking it only to find a tiny bastard slug chomping away on the other side :argh:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Hooray, today the frost warnings finally passed and I was proactive enough to actually get things in the ground after letting them languish and flop in a seed-tray.
Only 1 sugar-snap pea plant has come through and survived, but I've got a good number of Brussels Sprout seedlings. I also threw around a couple of packs of salad mix and rocket seeds- never grown salad leaves before so this will be a new experience. Hopefully I will be able to tell what's a weed and what's a delicious seedling. The slug traps are set with Tesco Value Bitter, and I've sprinkled around a few safe slug pellets. All I can do now is cross my fingers and hope there's still seedlings in the morning.

I have a gardening question, but it's not about vegetables. Last year I bought a sickly California poppy Eschscholzia californica plant from a garden centre and planted it in a bed that was designed to attract pollinating insects. Well, long story short, the bed has gone to poo poo and is completely overrun with weeds, but the poppy is thriving. This has surprised me as it's a relatively shady spot. My digitalis has done well, but I expected that.

How much do California poppies like/dislike being disturbed? There's plenty of other spots that are probably more suitable (sunnier!) and don't have the weed problem.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

My grannie used to have poppies in the cracks of her driveway slab.

I think she planted one or two maybe 60 years ago and they just spread on their own. They also grew anywhere in the yard, shady, full sun, moist, dry fuckin anywhere.

They're pretty hardy, from what I understand. So move it if you like, but it's probably easier to just let it go to seed and take care of the weeds for you.

When I say weeds, I mean brambles and bindweed mainly, with a few annuals like millet (spread by birds eating from my mum's feeders :argh:) or flax. So basically root based weeds which are a complete bitch to get rid of and grow 10cm a day.

I guess I'll leave it there and try to weed round it, although you've given me hope that it will spread like mad. I might throw in a few handfuls of British poppy seed too.

And hooray all of my seedlings survived the damp night. Although the traps are mysteriously empty. Oooh maybe we have a hedgehog? :neckbeard:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Our compost bins are made from wooden shipping pallets nailed to stakes sunk in the ground and hidden behind a box hedge. The council also gave us some plastic ones, but while they're slightly more pleasant to be around, I think they don't make compost as well. It's hard to turn it with a fork so it doesn't decompose properly.
For a real ghetto compost bin, you can just hammer canes or stakes into the ground and wrap chicken wire round them to make a waste cage. It aerates well, but is so gross to look at.

By the way, Gardening Which did a study on speeding up decomposition in their best buy compost bin, and found you can get from a full bin to usable bedding compost in 2 months without adding anything. Just give it a really thorough turn with a garden fork 3 times a week.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Anubis posted:

The problem I have with those places (because my city has one itself) is that people put literally everything imaginable in their yard bins. Poison ivy and oak along with tons of seeds of weeds get mixed in with pesticides and poisonous fertilizers that are used on the over chemically treated grass cuttings which just leads to potential problems.

I'll use the city compost when dealing with a flower bed that I don't plan to ever put veggies in, but if I'm going to eat it I'd recommend having a bit more control over your compost sources than a normal city compost system could provide.

In a well managed compost bin, the heat from decomposition is enough to kill any seeds in there. Doesn't stop the problem of people chucking perennial weed roots in there though :( I also agree with you on lawn chemicals; some people are so over-zealous of their lawn and douse it with all kinds of poison that I wouldn't want anywhere near my food.
The council gave us a green wheelie bin for garden waste and we do use it for some things. Food waste and most stuff goes on our backyard heap but woody stems that I can't be bothered to cut up and sometimes excess grass clippings go in there- if a compost heap has too much grass clippings, it can go weird and not decompose properly.

Picked up a butternut squash plant for 89p on sale yesterday, and it's looking very unhappy. I think it's been waterlogged for a long time. Planted it out in a freshly dug over and fertilised bed, what are the chances it will perk up?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

MarshallX posted:

And thus began the 2010 battle of the slugs.

I swear to god these things are the bane of my existence.

A few words of advice for you, my fellow slug hater.
-Tesco value lager in ice cream tubs. Drown them to hell.
-Slug killer that's certified for organic use? Hell yes. I don't know if you can get this where you are, but it's a lifesaver for me in soggy old England: Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer. I have a wildlife friendly garden and since using this the amount of birds and hedgehogs in my garden has actually increased.
-Hit them hard and hit them fast. I put beer traps and pellets out a week before I sowed any seeds or planted anything out. Kill them at the start of spring before their numbers have a chance to grow.

This year I've direct sown salad mix and not seen a trace of slug damage. I sprinkle a few more pellets over about once a month but I don't need to now it's summer.
My pea plant has it's first flower! I'm so happy! This is also my first year growing Brussel Sprouts, and my first year growing brassicas at all so I'm pleased with their progress and resilience.

I'm not so pleased with the cat digging in my freshly sown Mooli patch. Boo.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Umbriago posted:

Having done a little more reading it appears that the best choice of plants available to me for planting now are:

Beans
Beat Leaf
Kale
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrot
Cauliflower
Fennel
Peas
Pumpkin
Salad leaves (Red Salad Bowl, Red Chard, Spinach, Green Lobjoits Cos, Mizuna, Oakleaf Cocarde, Rocket)
Swede
Turnip

and that I should be planting these directly to soil rather than indoors with the aim of transplanting them. Gonna try to make a small container of salad leaves and maybe another of runner beans.

Salad leaves are so quick to grow and much tastier straight from the garden. My rocket is just right to eat this week and it's been delicious. You could try radishes as well, there are fairly fast growing strains available now.

Had a sprout casualty (got complacent with slug defence), but it's okay because the patch was looking pretty crowded anyway.

Are beetroot a slow or fast growing crop? I grew them last year by accident in my flowerbed (this is why you don't chuck whatever seeds you find all over the place), so I didn't really notice them sprouting and dug them up when they were ping-pong ball size.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Umbriago posted:

How long before I see this stuff sprouting out of the soil?

The salad leaves sprout so drat quickly, you will have sizeable seedlings in a week.

I've never had luck with direct sown carrots, so I don't know, but beans can take about 2 weeks in the ground.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
How the hell can I stop various cats (both mine and others) making GBS threads in my veggie bed? They scratched over and killed my butternut squash, and hosed up all my mooli. :(
I tried putting down holly branches but couldn't find a balance between having so many that the seedlings don't get enough light and having so few that the cats just scratch them out of place.

Also what can I do to encourage my pea plant to produce more flowers? It's a bit of an anticlimax to wait for a plant from March and then only get 4 pea pods off it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

stubblyhead posted:

They say that cats don't like the smell of lavender, but that's bullshit cause we have a bunch of it and do have cats around. Your options may be somewhat limited by the fact that you have a cat of your own. I have seen stuff at Lowe's that claims to repel animals; I think it is a concoction of wintergreen and cayenne pepper. It will probably keep the strays away, but your own cat will likely be pretty miffed. They also make humane no-kill traps for small animals; catching a few will likely send a signal to the others that the garden is bad news and they should stay away. Again, should you catch your own cat, he's going to be pissed. We were having problems with that earlier this year, but it seems to have tapered off with increased activity in the beds. I guess it just smells too much like people and dogs for them to want to hang around much.

It's a huge garden, she has plenty of other places to poo poo, so I might try a repellent spray.
The humane trap thing doesn't work well in my household. Think squirrels in the attic. Think placing trap. Think not going in attic between March and November. Picture mummified/air dried squirrel in a "humane" trap.

I have a feeling that the whole pooping thing is a turf war between my cat and at least 1 other, because I cleaned it out the other day and by the next morning there were WAAAY too many turds to have just been one cat's worth. Ew ew ew ew.

a handful of dust posted:

Along the same lines, should I be worried about eating veggies from a garden cats frequent?

I realized today that the neighborhood feral cats have been making GBS threads in my garden. A nice unburied poo poo pile full of wriggling worms greeted me as I went out to weed this morning.

It's even grosser if, when trying to cover up their most recent turd, they uncover all the others they've buried. There's also foxes and hedgehogs making GBS threads all over the place in my garden.
My mum (ex-microbiologist) says it should be fine as long as you give everything a good rinse/scrub before eating it. Cooking kills a lot of germs too.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

MarshallX posted:

This is so bizarre.

All of my tomato plants are still only 1 foot off the ground after heavy watering all weekend due to some crazy canadian heat.

Some of them already have tomatoes 1 inch in diameter. Is there anything wrong with this?

Are you sure they're vine varieties of tomato and not bush ones? There's nothing wrong with having a compact plant if you're getting tomatoes off it.

jovial_cynic posted:

Raspberry. You probably never need to buy more than a single stalk. They tend to spread.

Truer words about raspberries have never been spoken. When we moved into this house 15 years ago, there were 2 rows of raspberry canes planted in the ground. For some reason, around 2003, my mum went crazy and destroyed all of them, hacking them down. Then she did her usual thing of forgetting about the garden for 7 years and right about now it's impossible to tell where the raspberries end and the brambles begin.

Oh and Jovial, IIRC pineapples are super slow growing- they can produce as little as a single fruit in a year. They're also spikey and an all round bitch of a plant. You can grow a pineapple plant from the top of a pineapple for free as a cutting if you want to have one; my aunt did this in her greenhouse. California sunshine is probably great for sweetening up pineapples.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

hepscat posted:

They do check at the border, at least they do at the 80 and at whatever highway it is that comes back from Las Vegas. You are supposed to declare anything you're carrying, even an apple you're snacking on, and if they suspect anything they will search your car. So I wouldn't completely discount it. I'm not sure if you went to the trouble of washing, etc. that whoever is checking at the border would think that is sufficient.

They didn't check us on Route 101 from Oregon in April but we thought they would and panic-ate all our apples at the border :saddowns:.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

bssoil posted:

How do I know when corn is ready for harvesting? I have never really grown it before, and I have about a dozen or so cobs cobbing away.

Poke it with a pin and if the juice comes out milky then it's ripe and ready to eat.

...I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
If that's a locust then it's edible, you know. Perhaps it would be a good accompaniment to your green beans? I hear they are a low fat source of protein.

If you're worried about your first born, just splash some lambs blood on your lintels.

Does anyone have experience growing mooli? I read an article in Gardening Which about growing Oriental vegetables and they sowed their mooli in July and harvested big roots in August. I've had mine in the ground since June and one is flowering! Am I going to have a monster radish lurking under the soil?