Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whyrat
Feb 27, 2009
I'd been planning on starting a (very) small veggie garden this year anyway; and I saw this so I figured I'd post my plans for a little feedback.

The plan is to try growing a few things I've heard are impossible to kill (as I'll likely kill anything that requires much skill): green beans and zuccini. I'm starting with ~2 sq meters; maybe adding another meter if I don't feel totally overwhelmed. The location (in North Texas if that matters):

I plan to turn in some potting soil before I transfer the seedlings... that's my idea of "fertilizing". That going to work?

I just started my starter seeds this weekend, March 7 (seems like I'm already running late)?

I have no idea about slugs / pests / diseases / whatever (I'm just hoping my cat doesn't dig around in it).

Anything I'm blatantly missing or not doing (or have done wrong)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whyrat
Feb 27, 2009
I didn't know that about green bean seedlings, well I have a ton of leftover seeds so I'll just sow some directly into the garden if the ones I start indoors don't take.

Thanks for the warning on the zucchini... I started 9 (thinking most of those won't make it) and was going to transplant the best ones. I guess I'll only pick the best 1 or 2.

Is mesclun mix like spinach? That was going to be an option too (I read you can start it later in the summer) but it'll all depend on how full my garden looks. So if the zucchini takes over I'll either have to dig out some more space or maybe plan for it next year.

I'm trying to avoid window boxing and/or potted plants (I have a few flowering plants in pots; but I never move those). I'm lazy is all :/

whyrat
Feb 27, 2009
Well, I've had less than stellar success with my sprouts. There was a cold spell 2 days after I planted them and I think I left them too close to the kitchen window where it's kinda drafty.

Well; 1 bean and 1 zucchini plant nutted up and sprouted anyway (along with many of the spices: chives, basil, and oregano in this pic, coriander a few days later):

I hear everyone talking about "hardening"... but all my plant pots are in use so I went with the more direct approach (I figure these are the Rambo from the seeds I planted so they can take it):

After my first failure I'm going to get another tray and try again on zucchini and beans; maybe also do tomatoes (texas has a long growing season right? I hope can get away with being late...).

The spices I'm waiting to transplant till they get a little bigger; those will be occupying the south end of my little plot.