Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Did you fertilize at all? Corn is a very heavy feeder and likes lots of nitrogen which may be lacking in your soil. Even if it was super rich soil, corn would still appreciate some extra nitrogen. The legumes doing well would fit since they can fix their own nitrogen.

Cottonseed meal is a good high nitrogen organic fertilizer, or good ole fashioned urea/ammonium nitrate.

I've had similar issues with growing sweet corn before (stunted + insect issues). I switched to flint corn (glass gem) last year and it grew well (6ft), was insect resistant, and made for good popcorn. This year, I interspersed rows with legumes (New Mexico bolita beans) and the improvement has been phenomenal. First pic is showing 10+ ft at the peaks of the tallest. Second and third picture are from last year's harvest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Cap them and stuff them with sausage and cheese and bake. Mini-poppers. Or, freeze them to make salsa again after season.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

Pumpkin season lives

I had several like this in June, before the vine borers arrived and ruined everything.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Jabronie posted:

Are carnivorous plants effective? I just bought a little venus fly trap after bringing in some plants with outdoor soil.

No guarantees. Depends a lot on location and circumstance. I have a windowsill above my kitchen sink that faces the morning sun. I keep a venus flytrap, pitcher, and sundew there. I keep a tally and we catch about thirty flies a year. Doesn't keep them from buzzing around a while and generally being annoying until they finally get caught, however.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks for the corrections, all the pictures I saw online had these weird orange masses and whatnot. I took a bunch of cuttings, placed them in a tray full of well watered soil, put a humidity cover over that and slipped that back in the hotbed. I may get some more seeds going as well.

Yeah, this explains why I've never seen this issue before. Ugh.

Squash vine borers are the worst. This year I have given up trying to prevent them. I am just going to wait until July to plant and hope for a late summer/fall harvest. Supposedly the moths will be done laying eggs by then.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Looking to identify a pest that clips a few leaves or small branches from my pepper plants each night. Doesn't strip a plant, just a snip here, and a snip there. Not a tomato hornworm; not a rodent. What are the other candidates?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Mostly left behind. A lot of the small stems or leaves are cut and left to fall to the ground, which I discover each morning. Some of my smaller plants keep getting clipped right in two, effectively topping them over and over.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

SubG posted:

How early in the morning are you checking the plants? Because I've had birds that would clip plants, particularly when they're small, for no apparent reason. I assume they're either going after insects on the plant or maybe confusing the leaf petioles (the "stems" of the leaves) for caterpillars or something else they might want to eat.

Had one year where I came out and caught a robin in the process of murdering all my okra seedlings. I saw him just take one apart and then immediately turn to the next one and do the same. Went over to the bed, scaring him off, and it looked like he'd just gone down the row snipping up the seedlings, leaving the parts where they fell.

mischief posted:

Do your neighbors have cats? That sounds like some bullshit a cat would get up to. As others have said another strong option is birds. We had one year that a mockingbird would literally poke one tiny hole in every loving tomato the second it turned red and I could never catch him. Just buckets of off tomatoes with the same little "V" shaped hole in them. Whatever it is doesn't sound like it is eating the plants so that's at least a start.

I'd do better with pictures. The plants themselves and the dirt around them if possible.

I've gone out at night a few times to inspect with a flashlight, but it seems to be happening very early morning before I check them around 8am. Birds may be a good candidate, but we do have some neighborhood cats roaming. I've caught birds steeling tiny seedlings for what I assume is nest building in the past, but that is different from the sample carnage from this morning:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

mischief posted:

First thing I'd look at is making sure they have enough water, especially with superhots like that I've always had really bad issues with leaf drop if the plants are too hot or too dry. Doesn't look like any critter damage I've seen but there's always some new fresh problem to solve with a garden.
The photo looks a little like leaf drop, but in actuality there are a lot of stems broke clean through middle--not just at joints.

Wallet posted:

This looks 100% like what voles do to my plants, for what it's worth.
I have the garden wrapped in 1" chicken wire. I suppose a vole could still get through, and most of the damage happens at the lower levels. The larger plants and those I overwintered have not had the same problems. Are there any scare tactics that might work for rodents, or should I just resort to trapping?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Motronic posted:

Also, chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens IN. Not keeping predators out or anything else.

Hardware cloth is the real answer here. Whether it for your garden or chicken enclosure.

Thanks, the garden is lined with chicken wire specifically to keep chickens out and let helpful predators in (toads, frogs, lizards, snakes, etc). I learned your fact about chicken wire the hard way when we first built a coop and accidentally invited in the neighborhood black snakes. Hardware cloth is actually easier to work with, in my opinion, because you can cut it to exact shape with much less stretching.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I had a huge stack of empty Vitalix buckets that I turned into planters by just drilling holes in the bottom for drainage and filling with soil. I forget the plastic code that they were stamped with, but they are supposedly food safe. They have turned out great and now I can keep just over fifty peppers going during the summer.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

goatse guy posted:

That's the dream. I want to grow so many varieties of peppers but I'm so limited on space in my raised beds so I usually just stick to bell and jalapeno.

I keep finding new varieties to try every year, and I don't have the heart to not grow all the varieties I grew the year before...so, more pots. And more seed trays. And more warming mats. And more grow lights, etc. At some point an intervention will be needed.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Unfortunately, many prairie wildflowers like coreopsis, cone flower, gaillardia, etc prefer to be seeded in the fall and exposed to winter freezing temperatures to help activate the seeds. Good luck, may still turn out fine.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

effika posted:

(The swallowtail caterpillars will eat them down to the stems, but I plant/volunteer sprout so much dill I don't mind.)

This is a feature not a bug. I always over plant dill because it reliability brings in the black swallowtail caterpillars for the kids' enjoyment. I'll cut and dry what I actually want to keep when I start to see the little guys crawling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

effika posted:

Black swallowtails are my state's butterfly and I love them. Their caterpillars are very cool looking too.

Same here, which is also part of our enjoyment! (Which means we either live really close or really far apart and no where in between :hfive:)